Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 11:45 AM

184 posts, read 106,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce_00 View Post
You can't replace the 36 year old with a 26 year old and expect the same output. Again, this is flawed millenial centric thinking, in that a fresh out of college kid knows everything about the world. They don't.
Actually, you can probably expect more. You lose some of the experience factor for sure, but you gain back in that todays typical 26 year old is not married with kids and puts in more hours then the 36 year old does, at less price.

I know my friends and I lived and worked in Boston in our 20 years, we did a ton more hours then the people in their 30s and 40s who had families outside the city. When it snowed, we went in, they stayed home. When their kids were sick and stayed home, we worked. On holidays like 7/4, or 12/31 to 1/1, I was working while my older colleagues were home with kids out of school.

Ten years later, now its my turn to live in the burbs, (I telecommute now, used to live close to my work in Mass), I know that the younger "kids" I work with, who are without families, are putting in the hours, doing the travelling, while I work from home with the kids over school breaks, like today for instance.

Also, millenials are no different in thinking they know everything fresh out of college, so did every generation that came before them Unfortunately, my generation, (probably Gen-X), feels the need to look down at millenials for some reason. We just need to learn that the world has passed us by now and we are no longer "cool", "hip", or "with-it". Once you get past that, whatever millenials are doing wont bother you anymore.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Actually, you can probably expect more. You lose some of the experience factor for sure, but you gain back in that todays typical 26 year old is not married with kids and puts in more hours then the 36 year old does, at less price.

I know my friends and I lived and worked in Boston in our 20 years, we did a ton more hours then the people in their 30s and 40s who had families outside the city. When it snowed, we went in, they stayed home. When their kids were sick and stayed home, we worked. On holidays like 7/4, or 12/31 to 1/1, I was working while my older colleagues were home with kids out of school.

Ten years later, now its my turn to live in the burbs, (I telecommute now, used to live close to my work in Mass), I know that the younger "kids" I work with, who are without families, are putting in the hours, doing the travelling, while I work from home with the kids over school breaks, like today for instance.

Also, millenials are no different in thinking they know everything fresh out of college, so did every generation that came before them Unfortunately, my generation, (probably Gen-X), feels the need to look down at millenials for some reason. We just need to learn that the world has passed us by now and we are no longer "cool", "hip", or "with-it". Once you get past that, whatever millenials are doing wont bother you anymore.
Yep. It's always been that way. 26 is 5 years of experience. In an engineering product development job, those are the people that work the 60 hour weeks. Everybody wants to hire them. They're already up on the learning curve and are productive. They're still relatively cheap. They work wonders with your group health insurance premiums. If you get a smart-motivated one, they out-produce everyone else in the group.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 13,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And now the rest of the story:

Idaho's growth is due to new tech jobs that current residents don't have the skills for - but it's driving the cost of housing way up.
Nevada's growth is due economic growth in Clark County as well as a sky high birth rate - 37% of growth is due to birhts.
Utah's growth is mainly due to a birth rate higher than the death rate.
Washington's growth is due to jobs, jobs, jobs in the tech sector and centered on King County.
Florida's growth is due to more Latin American immigrants settling there - intrastate migration is actually down.

Yes taxes have something to do with it but to say it's the only thing is simplistic.
So it's just one huge coincidence that the top 5 states are all low tax states. Sure, why not. Let's keep sticking our heads in the sand, it's easier than admitting there's a problem.

"Meanwhile, seven states and Puerto Rico recorded population losses over the last year. Illinois lost more than 33,000 residents, dropping to the sixth most populous state in the union with 12,802,023 residents. It’s the fourth straight year that Illinois has recorded a population decline, according to the census data."

Illinois being one of the most highly taxed states (if not THE highest) also has nothing to do with anything right?

You can spin this all you want. Fact is low tax states are thriving, high tax states are not. Are taxes the ONLY reason? No of course not, I never said it is. There has to be something other than low taxes to make someone move. But low taxes, and low cost of living, which is related to low taxes, is a major driver of people's decision on where to live.

And high birth rates is also a vote of confidence. In Utah and NV, the high birth rate is due in part to a young population. Which is exactly what a thriving economy needs. Young people, having kids, buying homes etc. The low cost states provide an environment for young people to do this. When you can buy a nice house ofr $250K in NV and pay $0 in state income tax, it's a big incentive to start a family. Compare that to paying $600K for the same house in CT and paying tens of thousands of additional dollars in income and property taxes. Of course more births will occur in NV and UT vs CT. And it's all due to the economic environment, which is itself due to a low cost/ low tax environment that allows it to happen.

Last edited by Dolce_00; 12-27-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 01:05 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
So it's just one huge coincidence that the top 5 states are all low tax states. Sure, why not. Let's keep sticking our heads in the sand, it's easier than admitting there's a problem.
The Northeast has no choice but to be expensive, including Connecticut. All of the markets are closely concentrated together such as Philly, DC, Boston, and NYC make the surrounding areas expensive. Go out west, and it's reasonably cheaper because there's less out there that have significant value.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 PM

143 posts, read 106,808 times
Use to live in UT and FL. Didn’t like any of those two and I still went back to CT lol

Old 12-28-2017, 03:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:

"Meanwhile, seven states and Puerto Rico recorded population losses over the last year. Illinois lost more than 33,000 residents, dropping to the sixth most populous state in the union with 12,802,023 residents. It’s the fourth straight year that Illinois has recorded a population decline, according to the census data."

Illinois being one of the most highly taxed states (if not THE highest) also has nothing to do with anything right?

You can spin this all you want. Fact is low tax states are thriving, high tax states are not. Are taxes the ONLY reason? No of course not, I never said it is. There has to be something other than low taxes to make someone move. But low taxes, and low cost of living, which is related to low taxes, is a major driver of people's decision on where to live.

And high birth rates is also a vote of confidence. In Utah and NV, the high birth rate is due in part to a young population. Which is exactly what a thriving economy needs. Young people, having kids, buying homes etc. The low cost states provide an environment for young people to do this. When you can buy a nice house ofr $250K in NV and pay $0 in state income tax, it's a big incentive to start a family. Compare that to paying $600K for the same house in CT and paying tens of thousands of additional dollars in income and property taxes. Of course more births will occur in NV and UT vs CT. And it's all due to the economic environment, which is itself due to a low cost/ low tax environment that allows it to happen.
Biggest pile of baloney I've read all day.

New York and California -- both high tax states -- are the economic engines of America and are thriving, full of innovation, popularity and continued population growth. Other states with low taxes like Kansas, Mississippi and West Virginia are epic disasters. Not to mention, these low/no tax states are leeches off the federal government for funding allocated to state programs and projects. Florida is a prime example.

If a state is a popular destination that people want to live in, it doesn't matter what the tax policies are like. This is why California and New York are thriving just as much as Texas and Florida are.

CT is struggling economically because it's not a cool, popular place that people voluntarily WANT to live in. Millennials generally think it's boring and there's no big exciting city in CT. Neighboring Massachusetts has very similar tax policies as CT and is thriving economically, because it has one thing that CT lacks: BOSTON. Same with NY and NYC. Without Boston, Massachusetts would be a nothing state. New York without NYC would probably be a very economically depressed state.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

New York and California -- both high tax states -- are the economic engines of America and are thriving, full of innovation, popularity and continued population growth. Other states with low taxes like Kansas, Mississippi and West Virginia are epic disasters. Not to mention, these low/no tax states are leeches off the federal government for funding allocated to state programs and projects. Florida is a prime example.

If a state is a popular destination that people want to live in, it doesn't matter what the tax policies are like. This is why California and New York are thriving just as much as Texas and Florida are.

CT is struggling economically because it's not a cool, popular place that people voluntarily WANT to live in. Millennials generally think it's boring and there's no big exciting city in CT. Neighboring Massachusetts has very similar tax policies as CT and is thriving economically, because it has one thing that CT lacks: BOSTON. Same with NY and NYC. Without Boston, Massachusetts would be a nothing state. New York without NYC would probably be a very economically depressed state.
Florida got Miami, Tampa, Orlando.

New York State cities like Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Syracuse can thrive also but major of money goes Downstate to NYC.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:57 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Agreed.

The response you'll get is that millennials will get older and WANT to move to CT to raise a family but that isn't necessarily true. Family friendly towns can still be found without moving to Connecticut.

Connecticut has a place in my heart due to growing up in state. The state isn't an easy sell to those from other parts of the country. No world class cities, no low tax havens, no major sports teams, no majestic national wonders, etc.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Agreed.

The response you'll get is that millennials will get older and WANT to move to CT to raise a family but that isn't necessarily true. Family friendly towns can still be found without moving to Connecticut.

Connecticut has a place in my heart due to growing up in state. The state isn't an easy sell to those from other parts of the country. No world class cities, no low tax havens, no major sports teams, no majestic national wonders, etc.
Except that millennials are being priced out of the suburbs of major cities like New York and Boston. Several I know are very concerned about this and aren’t certain what they are going to do. Southwestern Connecticut will continue to attract New Yorkers just like it has for the past 100 plus years. Jay

Old 12-29-2017, 07:55 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Except that millennials are being priced out of the suburbs of major cities like New York and Boston. Several I know are very concerned about this and aren’t certain what they are going to do. Southwestern Connecticut will continue to attract New Yorkers just like it has for the past 100 plus years. Jay
Millennials don't have to move to FFC for cheaper housing. I'd hardly call FFC "cheap" anymore considering how high rent and housing costs have risen along the commuter corridor. Millennials can move to suburbs within MA & NY to escape high city costs. Long term projects like expanded commuter service into Grand Central will make Long Island more attractive. NJ will benefit when new tunnels and terminal are finally built.

I don't buy the argument that Connecticut has nothing to fear and can keep riding along on the coat tails of NYC. Eventually the stupid NIMBY residents of FFC are going to fall on a sword they left upright on the ground. Refusals to upgrade local airports into a major regional hub, bickering over every residential density change, the fairy tale story known as high speed rail, etc.

Let us not forget the parts of Connecticut outside of FFC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut