Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 12:24 PM

610 posts, read 533,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Got it, thanks. So I guess a lot of this is state workers retiring and pensions kicking in. Does anyone know if and when this pension problem will stabilize?
Not until many years in the future, until the generations of retirees and older employees are dead and paid off. Billions are owed on their pensions, will need to be paid off one way or the other. Recent actuarial reports indicate that at least an additional $2 billion contribution annually will be needed---for 30 or so years. Changing the plan won't make this disappear, but would reduce the liabilities somewhat. That's why I feel that tax increases are inevitable, the longer we wait, the larger they will be. Question--the $2 billion is about 10% of current state revenue. Just asking, how would people feel about a 10% increase across the board in their state taxes to pay it off? I don't expect the current group of politicians to do this--"kicking the can" is more their style. Now I'm ducking.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
I be game if the State privatized highways. Privatized rail and bus services. Created EZPay Tolls. Stopped funding Towns/Cities outside of infrastructure repair. Lifted property tax caps for vehicles. Increased funding to DMHAS, Elderly State service's, State Veteran Service's, and Hospital's. Place more people on probation. Expand homelessness service's and increase funding to contracts for more low income housing in the State. Legalize marijuanna.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:18 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I be game if the State privatized highways. Privatized rail and bus services. Created EZPay Tolls. Stopped funding Towns/Cities outside of infrastructure repair. Lifted property tax caps for vehicles. Increased funding to DMHAS, Elderly State service's, State Veteran Service's, and Hospital's. Place more people on probation. Expand homelessness service's and increase funding to contracts for more low income housing in the State. Legalize marijuanna.
To privatize transportation you have to have private companies interested in investing in them and getting a return on that investment. Unfortunately rails and bus service is NOT profitable and the fares needed to make it so just won't be there. That is why all of the private bus and rail services went out of business 60 or more years ago. There are companies that are willing to do privatized highways but they charge ridiculous tolls for them. If these services were easily profitable, they would still be run by private companies. Jay

Old 07-18-2017, 02:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandMan22 View Post
I heard from a friend who works for Waterbury that some retirement packages in the 80s/90s included healthcare with grandfathered $5 and $10 copays for services which would be very generous by today's standards. This conversation was a few years ago so take it with a grain of salt but even if its a little true then the true cost is probably absurdly difficult to calculate and when are we ever likely to put a bit extra in just in case our math is off??

I know it's a dead horse but I'ma go there! TOLLS!!!! Please, please please...... just start the process. Ugh!

I'm not sure about the grand fathered copays, that seems like a small expense when compared to the cost of health insurance even in the 90's.

One thing I do remember is in the early 2000's the city of Hartford was advertising for police officers with a big banner across i-91 north about where the i-84 interchange is. They were offering full retirement benefits AFTER 15 years of service. If I took their offer I would be retired right now or working another police or muni job accruing another pension. Which is what a lot of those (15 year) officers did.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:31 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'm not sure about the grand fathered copays, that seems like a small expense when compared to the cost of health insurance even in the 90's.

One thing I do remember is in the early 2000's the city of Hartford was advertising for police officers with a big banner across i-91 north about where the i-84 interchange is. They were offering full retirement benefits AFTER 15 years of service. If I took their offer I would be retired right now or working another police or muni job accruing another pension. Which is what a lot of those (15 year) officers did.
Believe it or not, that $10 copay was what state employees were paying back in the early to mid 90's. A state employee I know got a very rude awakening when they left the state and went to work for the private sector. Was shocked at the cost of their new insurance. They made more money than they did at the state but a good portion of it got eaten up by their insurance costs. Jay

Old 07-18-2017, 02:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Believe it or not, that $10 copay was what state employees were paying back in the early to mid 90's. A state employee I know got a very rude awakening when they left the state and went to work for the private sector. Was shocked at the cost of their new insurance. They made more money than they did at the state but a good portion of it got eaten up by their insurance costs. Jay

I suppose there's a lot of variables with the co pays. I was in line at CVS last year and the person in front of me got a prescription and the copay was 3$. What's funny is the person acted surprised, like 3$ was too high. Some of my prescription copay's are up to 80$ now.

Personally for me the first insurance policy I remember that had copay's was around 1996 and this was at The Phoenix insurance company.

Before The Phoenix I worked at a hotel and had insurance thru them, but no copay's whatsoever. This was roughly 1993-1996.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
yeah, you were saying

Old 07-18-2017, 03:08 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Biggest issue is the State cuts funds to vital service's. Reduces State work force, but im doing so people just work more OT. State contributes too much to pension. Sends too much money to Cities/Towns and too invested in City/Town affairs. Spends money on projects without planning on how to fund projects as they continue. Too dependent on taxes to keep the Budget afloat. Raise cost of State service's to the public such as higher education.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Quote:
Biggest issue is the State cuts funds to vital service's. Reduces State work force, but im doing so people just work more OT. State contributes too much to pension. Sends too much money to Cities/Towns and too invested in City/Town affairs. Spends money on projects without planning on how to fund projects as they continue. Too dependent on taxes to keep the Budget afloat. Raise cost of State service's to the public such as higher education.
Kinda sorta but it's dancing around one of the major issues here.

Government spending should be bidded out. CT is at least 25 years behind Mass in terms of procurement laws. If you take what a company says at face value and have no competition of course your operations are going to be a higher cost

Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Will RBS leave CT

Layoffs continue at RBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut