Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:14 AM

610 posts, read 532,982 times

Advertisements

Here is an article on the latest proposed budget from the Democrats---calling for .5% increase in sales tax and 1% additional on restaurant meals and hotels, plus other assorted increases, of smaller amounts. They would mitigate some of the school aid cuts that the governor proposed, but overall school and municipal aid will be down, so I would expect increases in property taxes soon.

Looks like it's getting down to the wire, I think this will be close to the final package. The Dems will need a unanimous vote in the Senate, as it's hard to see any Republicans voting for this.

House Dems offer modest town aid shift in new budget | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM

786 posts, read 823,737 times
7:30AM from New Canaan is 69 min

7:21AM from Westport is 67 min

Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 AM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
New Canaan train is longer than the train from Westport.
But from New Canaan you have almost private trains--(about 70 minutes to GCT--which is slightly faster than most trains from Westport in the morning.)

Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
New Canaan train is longer than the train from Westport.
My apologies for excluding your almighty Westport.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
He isn't far off the mark with NJ. In towns like Bayonne that $435K house would come with a $15,600 tax bill.

Also the affluent FFC towns (for the most part) have a low to moderate mill rate. One of the reasons so many commuters still choose FFC over living in NY/NJ.
Avg prices in the affluent CT towns (there's only 6 of them in the whole state) are $1M+ over Bayonne. Maybe use Ridgewood or something as a better comparison, no idea what the prop taxes are there though.
Stamford and even way out yonder boondock towns Fairfield/Norwalk along the main line are more expensive than Bayonne

Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM

712 posts, read 542,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
True for NHC, but my point is you can find cheaper homes (cheaper than lower FFC) within an hour of Manhattan in NJ and LI. The only towns in CT meeting that guideline are Greenwich, New Canaan and Darien. Stamford, too, but it's often skipped over since it's not considered family friendly to many. So, back to the original point, you have to spend big bucks on a home in CT to live in a close metro suburb. Totally makes up for a few thousand more per year in taxes.

So while that area of CT may be tax heaven, its mortgage hell.
You are emphasizing too much on speed/time alone. There are other factors for commuters:
comfort, frequency and speed.

For example, people from LI stared at me in NYC when I said I played or worked with laptop in metro north. For them, it was impossible to do that. That speaks of crowdedness of their trains.

Nowadays with almost universal cell phone coverage across metro north line, train riding time is over-rated factor. I am perfectly fine to ride extra 20 minutes as long as I can relax or work or enjoy my laptop/phone in train. In that sense, I would not accept a shorter, but over-crowded trains. 1 hour vs 1 and 30 minutes, no real difference.

In the morning in summer time, I actually favor Shoreline East trains to Stamford and than transfer to NYC than direct but slow metro north trains. Mainly because Shoreline East trains skip many stations between West Haven and Stamford so that I can have undisturbed nap in the train privately.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
7:30AM from New Canaan is 69 min

7:21AM from Westport is 67 min
So you're talking 4 hours per day commute time door-to-door? It's not like people live at the train station or work at an office tower across the street from Grand Central. Why would anyone want that as their Monday through Friday life?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Here is an article on the latest proposed budget from the Democrats---calling for .5% increase in sales tax and 1% additional on restaurant meals and hotels, plus other assorted increases, of smaller amounts. They would mitigate some of the school aid cuts that the governor proposed, but overall school and municipal aid will be down, so I would expect increases in property taxes soon.

Looks like it's getting down to the wire, I think this will be close to the final package. The Dems will need a unanimous vote in the Senate, as it's hard to see any Republicans voting for this.

House Dems offer modest town aid shift in new budget | HartfordBusiness.com
So death by 1000 paper cuts.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM

786 posts, read 823,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My apologies for excluding your almighty Westport.
I'm looking out for the lurkers who see your post and now think Greenwich, Darien and NC are the only towns, which you previously stated. Someone might see your post and may not consider Westport because of it.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
You are emphasizing too much on speed/time alone. There are other factors for commuters:
comfort, frequency and speed.

For example, people from LI stared at me in NYC when I said I played or worked with laptop in metro north. For them, it was impossible to do that. That speaks of crowdedness of their trains.

Nowadays with almost universal cell phone coverage across metro north line, train riding time is over-rated factor. I am perfectly fine to ride extra 20 minutes as long as I can relax or work or enjoy my laptop/phone in train. In that sense, I would not accept a shorter, but over-crowded trains. 1 hour vs 1 and 30 minutes, no real difference.
This is all wonderful, but it doesn't change the fact that you can get a home for half the price with a faster commute into the city. I'm not saying I prefer it - I'm just presenting facts.

Since you mentioned it, an extra 20 minutes each way isn't peanuts. It's an extra 40 minutes per day out of your life and 3.5 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut