Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 06:43 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

State To Add Medical Marijuana Dispensaries In Milford, Waterbury - Hartford Courant

Old 01-18-2016, 08:09 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
For some reason this is the longest thread in the history of the CT forum.

Go figure
Of course it is. It is a common subject that there is always news on. If I did not reset the Weather thread every year or so, it would be the longest thread though. A lot longer than this one. Jay

Old 01-18-2016, 05:09 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
CT want to prevent companies like Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, Covidien, United Healthcare from leaving the state

Malloy: Connecticut must adapt to prevent next GE - Connecticut Post

Old 01-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT want to prevent companies like Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, Covidien, United Healthcare from leaving the state

Malloy: Connecticut must adapt to prevent next GE - Connecticut Post

It will have to wait for courageous pols who understand business and how to control gov't spending to take charge. Looney after all thought this was all about "Immelt buying a bigger yacht". That condescending Ct is the only place to be for GE attitude Ct pols displayed (Shazam, Sargent.there are 49 other states) is as worthless as sports trash talk. The key question is how many more major corps are also years into reevaluating their hq location. Equally key how many will link their vote to the actions of politicians that brought about this sad day.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:58 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It will have to wait for courageous pols who understand business and how to control gov't spending to take charge.
Same old refrain. Still wrong. Partisan silliness at the expense of real solutions that will make a difference.

For the 35th time, GE did not leave because of taxation. No one goes from Connecticut to Mass to reduce their tax burden. It seems GE execs actually prefer a higher tax/higher services environment as New York and Boston were finalists, not Cheyenne and San Antonio. GE hardly pays taxes anyway.

GE left due to workforce issues and amenities we can't provide because we don't have a world class city.

GE wanted an environment that was innovation driven: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...boston-by.html

My bet is corporate tax here could have been ZERO and GE would still be gone.

I know many conservatives will continue to agitate for lower corporate taxes at the expense of solving the real problems we face.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Again let's not start discussing GE here. There is a separate thread to discuss that. JayCT, Moderator

Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM

anyone know how many jobs this will add?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
anyone know how many jobs this will add?
Not sure what the headcount will be, but I heard 5 new GameStops, a 7/11 and 3 organic made-in-vermont sandal&Tshirt shops will be opening nearby. I also heard local investors are pumping a lot of cash into basement renovation businesses in anticipation of the grand opening. Go Malloy!

Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Not sure what the headcount will be, but I heard 5 new GameStops, a 7/11 and 3 organic made-in-vermont sandal&Tshirt shops will be opening nearby. I also heard local investors are pumping a lot of cash into basement renovation businesses in anticipation of the grand opening. Go Malloy!
And Shop Rite is adding a few dozen jobs in Milford when they open their new store. Malloy's shining achievement.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,381 times
Connecticut's economy is getting worst and worst...please do not be fooled by channels like Fox News and others telling you otherwise with bright smiles. They are paid to do so so it doesn't look obvious but it's obvious what has been and still is going on...it is no longer a background thing when the propaganda machine is alive and well..

There was a post that I had previously uploaded before City-Data.com deleted it (not sure why). It exposed a lot of truths that are going on in this small state....perhaps it did not set in agreement which is a shame...

I've noticed that the economics in this state have been but all terrible since 2012...

When you have a state that is more interested in micro-managing just for the sake of a manager, a regional manager or a CEO to get a yatch in their yard it's a problem. Too many cut-backs have been done and all in the wrong places.

It's a problem because it takes away from the working middle class and keeps the poor,poor.

We have a generation who continuously keeps voting these same people in to run the state...a lot of this sadly comes from based on likes and not on long-term assurance...

Remember the events in 2015 with the hacking scares and confusion? This was of course used as momentum by yours truly local government agencies to entice the public into voting for who they want to "hear", not the reality...so now everyone is swooping to vote in the "tradition"... lot of ignorance about...lot of migrating locust that year as well...

College students are being worked to death in CT. We're promised a lot of things like jobs...but the nasty hidden part is the taxes and the lack of jobs or opportunities making competition insane...why are there a lack of jobs...because CT is too cheap to hire people who've been in this state for years...the jobs are going to out-of-staters like New York, New Jersey Massachusetts and others who aren't even from USA who come for the benefit of the education and properties...We are constantly at the threat of homelessness and its even worst if those students come from broken homes which is, unfortunately, a reality for many than what is actually mentioned/said...How many banks here have stolen homes from workers who can no longer afford a place to stay, thanks to the brilliant idea of a CEO or manager to "cut-back" to save the "bottom line"....its even worse for single people who don't have the luxury of two-incomes coming in at the same time...

Meanwhile taxes are going up...everyone and everybody is sending their pre-teen kid out onto the road...educators have been fibbing to us saying we are going to get jobs with certain degrees and have not as some have untimely discovered...the schools have been traditionally rigged with setting up college students up with high-deficient loans and having us take courses that we don't need to get a degree...with "professionals" who could care less if you pass or not...meanwhile the managers at these jobs are playing with our futures and lives...they don't care because they know people are 'desperate' enough that now even the 50+ generation is trying to grab teen/college student jobs...so it's easy to do cut-backs when your constantly in control...

Take it from me...I'm a working college student with teeth are nearly falling out my head because I cannot afford proper dental treatment...I need eye surgery bad...ontop of it I can't even afford a place to live because of the low-income pay i've been getting from job to job...$10 an hour is no way to live...can't even afford a car...can hardly do anything yet some people think its a 'luxury'. Trust me...it's not....

The problem is CT residents need to stop voting in representatives who are no good and are only interested in cut-back bucks. There's plenty of scams and crime that goes on in CT because of the amount of out-of-state people coming in taking advantage of the jobs and education...10 years ago there was less crime and half of the people here weren't even here like now....now it is crime-ridden because of all the out-of-staters taking advantage of the area...

Instead of voting for the same mess do the following...vote for better people or vote with your feet...CT is taking advantage of people here already with 'homes'. Others are starting to wake up and realize their CT 'comfort-zone' isn't worth being miserable over...they are going to other states that offer better housing, better jobs, and a better quality of life...why waste your life on the CT blunders...

As soon as I finish what's left at Community College I am leaving...I know what awaits here...no future, high-insane taxes and managers ready to fire people at a moment's notice over anything...I've seen it and heard it too many times at different meetings...

HR and Managers are the worst combination here in CT...they are very greedy...anyone who keeps voting in the same promising to give you a 'better' life is fooled...its paid lip-services and it's costing the economics in your state.

CT is so liberal that it's killing itself...for a state claiming to be so prosperous it sure has a lot of short-sightedness...short-profit for long-term disaster.In the meanwhile the state is falling apart because there is over-spending in areas that don't need it, and not enough in others that do need it...things are getting backwards up here, again and its getting worst.

Connecticut makes list of worst states to make a living in 2015 | WTNH Connecticut News

It's a stress-ridden, work yourself to death, with mental-illness and scam/crime rate galore and no wonder why because the quality of life is going down. Yet representatives like malloy still clammering on about being 'rich' which is basically just a few millionaires or two not the real representation of CT 85-95% population. This state is more obsessed on cutting back than it is solving...it's not that difficult to solve...but the wrong people keep being voted in with the same old lies and same old promises...it's a joke.

What should have been done

1. Bring back tolls for Out-Of-State
2. Penalize companies who hire non-USA residents with a higher tax rate.
3. Get more community-driven involvement. Have people give back 'to' the state instead of finding ways to constantly tax them for every small thing.
4. End subtle-forms of racism in CT. This includes favoring zip-codes and names over one's ability to do the job.
5.Start a state-wide reward program. Reward those who contribute to society/give back to CT through tax-breaks or similar.
6. Remove people from problem-ridden areas if they do not wish to oblige for the sanitary of life. Send them packing somewhere else. This includes New Haven, Waterbury, Hartford, etc.
7. Re-install the mental-health facilities instead of allowing them to wander around by themselves in streets and or buildings. There has been far too many 'mental-health' issues in CT to ignore. Nuts are nuts.
8. Get rid of the cons/crooks in this state. This includes blue-collar and white-collar.
9. Stop the short-changing of college students looking for jobs they worked hard in school to get.
10. Stop being cheap, period.
11. Stop mistreating people based on zip-code. A zip-code does not determine the potential of the individual and or personality.
12. Old, out-dated school systems teaching, old-outdated curriculum.

If this keeps continuing CT will just be filled with old people and the few that have 'chosen' to stay here...a lot of young people will end up leaving...an entire generation will be skipped because of this...then CT will have a generation screw-up because you are not giving us any real reason to keep staying here anymore...other than the education the opportunities here are pretty much 'dead'. Not impressed by the lies and deception here...atleast when Blumenthal was running the scammers were pretty much kept at bay and the taxes low...now it is the opposite...there's cut-backs everywhere and out-of-staters are taking clear advantage...it's the reason too why companies are packing up and leaving overnight...keep this up and CT will have the same problems predicted in other countries like Japan...all old but little young...

When you start chasing away the younger generation in favor of the settled and so called 'successful' that's when you have failed and CT is failing, miserably. It's time for people to start voting against these bright-idea 'law' changes instead of sitting around letting them get passed through...

Last edited by SoundTran; 01-18-2016 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut