Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 12:01 AM

1,152 posts, read 954,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Well its official

I think this is probably one of the biggest redevelopment opportunities in North Columbia. .I would love for the folks doing the brewery on North Main to take a look at this site. To me it could be 100 percent retail or a mixed use center with retail and residential...

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3231...a-SC/24458160/
Wasnt someone in this Forum not long ago was saying that that specific spot is bad for any developers. and here we are a Developer is planning to possibly build there. I cant wait its a good corner and I really do want to see that little spot get redeveloped. Hopefully Not gentrified. but Redeveloped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 08:10 AM

518 posts, read 435,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Wasnt someone in this Forum not long ago was saying that that specific spot is bad for any developers. and here we are a Developer is planning to possibly build there. I cant wait its a good corner and I really do want to see that little spot get redeveloped. Hopefully Not gentrified. but Redeveloped.
I would think it has low chance until the area is gentrified. Seems REALLY sketchy area.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:53 AM

751 posts, read 565,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I would think it has low chance until the area is gentrified. Seems REALLY sketchy area.
Yeah it's very far away from any of the momentum near Main and Elmwood, so there's not really an opportunity to benefit from that change. I have several questions here:

- It says it's 100% leased, but also a shell? Does that mean they have legacy leases that are still being paid off or it's actually 0% leased?
- The description makes it seem like "redeveloped" means tenants recruited/refitted vs. addition of any new structures at least in the shopping center
- There are 3.5 acres of woods behind/next to the shopping center that can be sold off and the lot is zoned for up to 5 stories; I wonder if that might work for a small, lower end apartment complex (2-3 buildings)?

Old 01-14-2022, 04:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Yeah it's very far away from any of the momentum near Main and Elmwood, so there's not really an opportunity to benefit from that change. I have several questions here:

- It says it's 100% leased, but also a shell? Does that mean they have legacy leases that are still being paid off or it's actually 0% leased?
- The description makes it seem like "redeveloped" means tenants recruited/refitted vs. addition of any new structures at least in the shopping center
- There are 3.5 acres of woods behind/next to the shopping center that can be sold off and the lot is zoned for up to 5 stories; I wonder if that might work for a small, lower end apartment complex (2-3 buildings)?
Yeah.. they need to go back and clarify some things in their advertisement. I am hoping that the momentum is based on the fact that it is adjacent to these more successful areas so hopefully that will pull people from those areas to this site. Since it has a large parking lot it can easily pull people from across the Metro if it has the right retailers/stores on site. it also is accessible given is location. I am sure if Trader Joes went in there ( I know that is wishful thinking) I am sure people would go there to shop not to mention attract other stores. I do agree it may take a minute for the right developer to find that site and to figure out what to do with it... but I guess we shall see....

Old 01-14-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
The area seems more of a no mans land. I know back in the day it was certainly had some challenges. There is a public housing complex Hammond Village across Sunset and an older lower income apartment River Ridge-Falls Springs Rd.. directly behind the center. There is also Riverside Apartments down Lucius Road. I havent pulled the crime reports but some of those areas were hots spots at one time.. but I think things have quieted way way down over the last 20 years. You now have Laurel Hill next to Hammond Village and there is also a development called Willowbrooke(?) that is along Ardencaple Dr and along Summerlea Dr. that is next to River Ridge and Canal Place is a stone throw from River Ridge Apt. Then there is the school conversion into apartments/condos (McCants?). All of these are successful market rate homeownership developments.

You have some interesting commercial establishments like Bucks Sport and Shop.. where you can buy a 40oz and Bait which people used to do on their way down to the Broad River to fish. There is also a "night club" also on that stretch. North Main was like this too before it evolved to what it is today. Even across from the new brewery is the headquarters for the SC Coalition for the Homeless along with Providence Home which used to have folks coming to/from that irked some of the surrounding businesses but obviously serves a segment of the community with addiction issues. It too doesnt seem to have any issues as of late.

So I dont disagree with you on the challenges, I just hope that developers and those that support their developments are more open to investing and frequenting these areas than they have in the past.. but I guess time will tell.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:15 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
It is a sketchy area. Would have to have stores/businesses that appeal to low income people.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:11 PM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
It is a sketchy area. Would have to have stores/businesses that appeal to low income people.
And that’s always a recipe for disaster

Old 01-27-2022, 03:13 PM

Some of you may already be aware of this ... but I saw that the old Bi Lo on North Main near Zesto and Hyatt Park has a "sold" sign on it? Part of it is a Kidney Dialysis Center.. but I thought the rest of the building was vacant. I was curious on if they purchased it and are expanding or some other use may be going in . Or maybe its just a new landlord who may then try to reposition the property?

The other property was the old Grocery Store on Harden Street next to the Drew Wellness Center. Same question if anyone is aware....

Old 01-27-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
And that’s always a recipe for disaster
I just hope it is not a Dollar Store.. I dont have anything against Dollars Stores and there is certainly a place for them in the market place. North Columbia however has way too many of them and hopefully this site will provide the opportunity to diversify.

As I mentioned in a prior post... two big box mini shopping centers have sold nearby (North Main at Monticello and Calhoun at Harden) so hopefully developers are in the market for new retail or mixed use development opportunities.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:58 PM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I just hope it is not a Dollar Store.. I dont have anything against Dollars Stores and there is certainly a place for them in the market place. North Columbia however has way too many of them and hopefully this site will provide the opportunity to diversify.

As I mentioned in a prior post... two big box mini shopping centers have sold nearby (North Main at Monticello and Calhoun at Harden) so hopefully developers are in the market for new retail or mixed use development opportunities.

Watch it be worse than a dollar store. Some kind of a liquor or fast cash kind of store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area