Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Doesn’t really help with the accessibility a whole lot, maybe minimally. They had to give up two at grade crossing for NS to agree to let them build a bridge over the tracks. The Devine street crossing is now gonna be tore up and gone. As well as one of the at-grades in the Greek village.
I see... I dont get why there would need to be an agreement with the railroad line? The bridge is going over the tracks. Not as if it impedes the trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I see... I dont get why there would need to be an agreement with the railroad line? The bridge is going over the tracks. Not as if it impedes the trains.
Like the city has air rights to garages, they do to the tracks.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:41 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Right and NS cited safety as the reason they wanted to divert foot traffic to the bridges. It's fine IMO, going down to the tracks to come back up again is suboptimal and feels like a temporary solution. A bridge might help alleviate a bit of traffic on Blossom, but it will really help pedestrians.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
Cool! I'm so impressed with the developement going on downtown. All we need is The Edge to start and maybe just maybe something on the Kline site. Heard they've started reno on the Babcock Building in BullStreet. Also read planning review for apartments in the old VARO building on Assembly AND apparently they are turning Rosewood Baptist Church into about 35 apartments. COOL
Completely forgot about Rosewood Church and to be honest, I'm not sure that the land has sold as the development was a rezoning proposal. In other news, I think I completely missed this:

"When developer Frank Cason began tearing the stucco off the front of the Klondike building on Columbia’s Main Street, it was with the hope of uncovering the original marble facade. To his delight, it was. So kicked off his plans for a 28-unit apartment building in the former government office tower at 1813 Main St."

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...6be3fa566.html

Old 07-30-2020, 06:11 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Right and NS cited safety as the reason they wanted to divert foot traffic to the bridges. It's fine IMO, going down to the tracks to come back up again is suboptimal and feels like a temporary solution. A bridge might help alleviate a bit of traffic on Blossom, but it will really help pedestrians.
Carolina... when you were going to/from campus did you let a little thing like a RR interfere with your route or did you take the path of least resistance? LOL.. In all seriousness I shouldn't joke about that because I recall students being killed over the years in Five Points crossing RR tracks going to/from campus....With all those apartments being built in that area.. the more safer crossings the better. With Devine being closed to vehicles.. they are going to need to put up some fencing or a barrier to deter people from just walking along the old roadway... There is a pedestrian crossing in Five Points along College St. Maybe they will make Devine like that? with two very busy tracks... I doubt it.

I know I am showing my age.. but I remember before those tracks were put below grade.. One ran at grade in that general area the other ran through Finlay Park down past Blue Marlin, the Vista, and past the arenas... It was the smartest thing the City/State did back then early 1980s and gave rise to the present day vista.. Traffic used to get tangled up down there and you would get caught between these two major train lines or along one of the half dozen "sidings" serving the various warehouses as they crisscrossed Gervais St...Its interesting that they added Lady Street Bridge later and it was not part of the original bridge network of Taylor, Hampton, and Gervais.. Blossom was always there but may have been rebuilt.

Last edited by Woodlands; 07-30-2020 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-31-2020, 02:15 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Makes sense. I think I remember the crossing near the Greek village is an unprotected crossing so it makes sense to eliminate intersections like that.

I certainly think the bridge will alleviate traffic from Blossom. I'll always remember sitting 10 cars deep in the left hand turn lane onto Blossom well after the lane ended. It could really turn into a mess even during normal traffic hours.

So I'm really curious about this bridge. I assume it will be 2 lanes each way and with pedestrians lanes as well?

Old 07-31-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I assume it will be 2 lanes each way and with pedestrians lanes as well?
Yes, I believe that's right.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:50 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
Quote:
Carolina... when you were going to/from campus did you let a little thing like a RR interfere with your route
So true. The fence along the railroad tracks has quite a number of “gaps” created by students so that they can cross where they want rather than where NS wants them to.

I believe the new bridge being build on Greene Street is planned to be 2 lanes of traffic with bike and pedestrian lanes. And don’t forget the rest of the project, they plan to extend Greene Street all the way down to the river where a 70 acre park is scheduled to be built. This will open that area up to development and there are some players that have their eyes on that area.

And just when you thought the new bridge would relieve Blossom Street traffic a little once it is competed in 2021, that is just about the time the state DOT has planned to begin the destruction and rebuild of the Blossom Street bridge. Traffic is not improving for quite a while.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
And don’t forget the rest of the project, they plan to extend Greene Street all the way down to the river where a 70 acre park is scheduled to be built. This will open that area up to development and there are some players that have their eyes on that area.
This relies on the extension of Williams Street and an approval for the park from the Guignard family (not to mention funding), neither of which are planned any more per my understanding. Such a shame, there's a lot of promise there.

Last edited by carolinagarnet; 07-31-2020 at 06:52 AM..

Old 07-31-2020, 02:09 PM

273 posts, read 245,869 times
Williams Street is still planned. There’s actually a little nun of Greene St that will go past Huger towards the eventual Williams St intersection. I’m pretty sure the park is still on. Not the way it was laid out in the Sazaki (sp?) plan. We are waiting on the cleanup of coal tar from the river and for the overhead power lines to be buried. Both are in the hands of Dominion now but they still have to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area