Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 07:52 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times

Advertisements

Midland Terrace is a pocket that’s hidden away and on the other side of Harrison Road from Pinehurst. Harrison Road is a definite psychological barrier, and even the homes on the Pinehurst side of Harrison insulate MT from Pinehurst. Not to insult Pinehurst. If Richland Mall could be turned into something good, that would be a boost to MT, but in the meantime it is healthy because it is established, and when houses do sell, mostly younger professionals or working-class middle-income people are buying them. It’s not the “gayborhood,” although some LGBTQ people do live in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 09:23 AM

518 posts, read 437,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Which is odd..it's has a nice collection of modest ranchers and bungalows and resembles Keenan Terrace and parts of Rosewood...it's near Forest Acres and Downtown so you would think that it would be sought after. I guess it's good that it isn't because it stays affordable.

I guess like most things in Columbia ..if it is not a *popular* neighborhood it's considered risky or a victim of guilty by association. Columbians often associate neighborhoods with streets or places.."off two notch" "near beltline" " behind the old Midlands shopping center " or " near Pinehurst Park " likely raise flags in people's minds even though in most cases they don't have anything to do with them directly .....Growing up I was told to stay away from Percival Road and Decker Blvd for reasons I'm still not certain lol
Percival had the rash of shootings at the ratty strip clubs. And Decker has been crappy since I moved here in the 90's. So run down looking. I know there are so nice nieghborhoods near, but right there on those roads is crap.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:40 AM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
You are still probably 5-10 years if not more for that to be considered a safe neighborhood. There is still a tremendous amount of crime in the area but overall it is improving just slowly.
See the problem I’ve found is crime coming into our neighborhood that has nothing to do with our residents. Like the car chase that ended in the neighbors yard across from me. Or the teen that walked down Monticello and was confronted by a police officer and began to pull out a gun and was shot dead. As a resident, I can certainly speak to that. The worst my neighbors might be guilty of is smoking weed and even then they’re doing it at their own home. Ones a 75 year old man, the other a 60 something year old women, and the other is a 3rd generation of family living in the same home. They’re great people, the problem isn’t necessarily here, it’s the neighborhoods further up sending down their crime.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Percival had the rash of shootings at the ratty strip clubs. And Decker has been crappy since I moved here in the 90's. So run down looking. I know there are so nice nieghborhoods near, but right there on those roads is crap.

That sound about right..It was always viewed as a "strip" and was second only to Two Notch when it came to things like prostitution and drug dealing. I do recall a few "joints" and even a biker club further up on the Woodfield Park side.. It started to improve slightly when they built I-77 and added an exit on the Decker.. but still has a stigma of crime. Its amazing because those apartments on the lower end near Forest Drive used to be nice and right behind them are some expensive homes of Forest Acres.

Decker used to be one of the main commercial drags in the city behind Broad River, St Andrews Rd, and of course Two Notch. Had a few "go to" chain restaurants like Olive Garden and Red Lobster on it.. Red Wing Rollerway.. I think an Italian restaurant called Zorbas(?) among others. This was the 80s and 90s before chain restaurants started to fall out of favor

Old 04-30-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
See the problem I’ve found is crime coming into our neighborhood that has nothing to do with our residents. Like the car chase that ended in the neighbors yard across from me. Or the teen that walked down Monticello and was confronted by a police officer and began to pull out a gun and was shot dead. As a resident, I can certainly speak to that. The worst my neighbors might be guilty of is smoking weed and even then they’re doing it at their own home. Ones a 75 year old man, the other a 60 something year old women, and the other is a 3rd generation of family living in the same home. They’re great people, the problem isn’t necessarily here, it’s the neighborhoods further up sending down their crime.

Yeah Monticello is a whole entire ball game. I wish the city would annex Ridgewood and those areas west of Monticello and below I-20 but above Duke Ave just to clean them up with CPD and Code Enforcement.. They are not as bad as they used to be....Knighter Street and Lakeside Ave used to be home to some pretty tough characters and it was not uncommon to read about a shoot out or a brawl after a summertime cookout/block party.. All the wooded lots and "cuts through" paths made for easy escape routes and it was hard for RCSD to get a handle on it.. Seems that the rougher crowd has either aged out or died in most of these areas or atleast they are not as bad...Talk to anyone that went to Eau Claire High School in the 90s..you avoided these streets at all costs..

Back to your point.. College Place more specifically CC Drive is "bookended" by two more challenging areas and its a main route between Monticello and Farrow..so it would likely get a lot of unwanted vehicle and pedestrian traffic or cut through crime because of it...not to mention most of the commercial activity for the area is off of this street in terms of CVS, Convenience Stores, and gas/dash stations to name a few.

Last edited by Woodlands; 04-30-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
That sound about right..It was always viewed as a "strip" and was second only to Two Notch when it came to things like prostitution and drug dealing. I do recall a few "joints" and even a biker club further up on the Woodfield Park side.. It started to improve slightly when they built I-77 and added an exit on the Decker.. but still has a stigma of crime. Its amazing because those apartments on the lower end near Forest Drive used to be nice and right behind them are some expensive homes of Forest Acres.

Decker used to be one of the main commercial drags in the city behind Broad River, St Andrews Rd, and of course Two Notch. Had a few "go to" chain restaurants like Olive Garden and Red Lobster on it.. Red Wing Rollerway.. I think an Italian restaurant called Zorbas(?) among others. This was the 80s and 90s before chain restaurants started to fall out of favor
I remember the Red Lobster that became Jumbo Shrimp Chinese Buffet, it just current survive long in that crappy area. The Olive Garden right there closed about the same time.

The Kroger and Target across the street. I remember that was the Target we had on that side of town for a while. I love the Korean food over there, but I wouldn't recommend walking far at all. The shopping center with the Little Ceasar's is pretty bad, but then go towards I-77 and it gets so much worse.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I remember the Red Lobster that became Jumbo Shrimp Chinese Buffet, it just current survive long in that crappy area. The Olive Garden right there closed about the same time.

The Kroger and Target across the street. I remember that was the Target we had on that side of town for a while. I love the Korean food over there, but I wouldn't recommend walking far at all. The shopping center with the Little Ceasar's is pretty bad, but then go towards I-77 and it gets so much worse.

Richland County was trying to brand that corridor as an " international corridor" with Columbia Mall (Richland Renaissance) as the anchor for county government ..almost like a version of a downtown for the County. I don't believe it has worked out as envisioned. The area certainly not pedestrian oriented and the residential base in terms of income has shifted further NE

Old 05-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Richland County was trying to brand that corridor as an " international corridor" with Columbia Mall (Richland Renaissance) as the anchor for county government ..almost like a version of a downtown for the County. I don't believe it has worked out as envisioned. The area certainly not pedestrian oriented and the residential base in terms of income has shifted further NE
OMG I forget about the dump Columbia Mall. I moved to Columbia and lived off Parklane in 1995. That place was dieing then. I remember the Sheriff Dept had a substation there. It was already crappy. I used to go to both of the Movie Theaters there, one near Parklane and the other way up in the shopping center above the mall.

I can't imagine going to that mall now.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
OMG I forget about the dump Columbia Mall. I moved to Columbia and lived off Parklane in 1995. That place was dieing then. I remember the Sheriff Dept had a substation there. It was already crappy. I used to go to both of the Movie Theaters there, one near Parklane and the other way up in the shopping center above the mall.

I can't imagine going to that mall now.
Macy's is still in there but I wonder how this shut down has impacted them not to mention the general decline in retail shopping. I thought I read somewhere on here that they owned their building which is likely the only reason they haven't closed or decamped for Columbiana Center in a new build out of one of the end corridors....I see Macy's creating Macy's Backstage in some of their stores which seem to be a lower cost store like a Burlington or Marshalls. I wonder if that is what they will do at Columbia Place or try to find a closed big box in the NW /irmo and put one up there if they close their Columbia Place location ...i dunno maybe they are doing so well that I am totally off and they are just fine

Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM

1,154 posts, read 958,380 times
https://www.postandcourier.com/free-...7cfa5831d.html

This is what I like up see. More affordable housing. We need more of this in Columbia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area