Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 07:17 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
It’s amazing how The Post and Courier is nicer to Columbia and has better articles of it than The State.
The P&C's coverage of Columbia these days is definitely more extensive than The State's; the acquisition of the latter by McClatchy hasn't been good IMO. But I wouldn't at all say the P&C has been "nicer" to Columbia. Honestly a good chunk of its coverage of Columbia has come across as downright patronizing.

But it should be pointed out that the article recently posted is from the Free Times which has been acquired by the P&C but the quality of its coverage and overall journalism standards were great pre-acquisition IMO. From my perspective, it's largely remained the same which is great to see and has been the exact opposite of what happened with The State.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-22-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:01 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Default New development in Forest Acres

Didnt see this posted.. I apologize in advance if it has...
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...dential/78937/

Old 07-25-2020, 06:30 AM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Didnt see this posted.. I apologize in advance if it has...
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...dential/78937/
Glad to see this break ground- the style is great for that area.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Glad to see this break ground- the style is great for that area.

Its great to see these types of smaller urban infill projects happening... not just in Columbia but in Forest Acres, West Columbia and Cayce as well. I know I am preaching to the choir.. but I don't know for the life of me why Richland Mall can see a similar resurgence. The photos I have seen recently and from prior visits show the mall is actually falling into disrepair. So maybe that will be the catalyst for the owners to do something different. Truth be told...Richland County should have purchased it instead of Columbia Place. They could have move the entire County Government into that facility and what they didn't use they could have leased to law offices and other businesses that would have wanted to be close to the County Government and used the air rights over the garage and some of the outparcels for new development.. They could have renamed Forest Acres as the County Seat. That would have truly saved that mall/entire area... The City could purchase the County Court House on Main Street and use it for redevelopment and the same with the current Richland County Courthouse on Harden which could be redeveloped for additional multifamily housing to further populate Five Points East Center City and some support some of the discussion we have been having about increasing density around Taylor Street

The "Eastside" which is not an official neighborhood in Columbia (though it is referenced vaguely in the East Center City Plan) is basically the Harden Street Corridor over to Providence and includes Waverly, Benedict College, Allen University, West Gervais, Taylor Street and parts of Two Notch. That along with the areas around the Township represent a new growth opportunity for the city. Its already starting with the redevelopment of Gonzales Gardens, Allen Benedict Court and the student housing on Harden and Gervais. Prior efforts include Saxon Home Redevelopment, Drew Wellness Center, and the retail center next door.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:51 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
I know someone was asking about the Edge development on Assembly Street, this P&C article explains a little more about it.

Quote:
On Tuesday, Richland County Council gave final approval to a tax break sought for a 16-story student housing tower on Assembly Street in downtown, one that is expected to bring more than 650 added student beds to downtown. The project will receive a 50 percent tax break for its spending that builds public infrastructure such as more than 400 public parking spaces in its garage.

Another project will bring new apartments near the USC School of Law building on Gervais Street, which has been approved on reconsideration despite some neighborhood complaints about the size being wrong for the district. Neighbors believe that the 8-story location close to USC will attract many students.
This is one of their free articles, all you must do is register.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...7d631d509.html

Old 07-28-2020, 07:14 AM

333 posts, read 214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I know someone was asking about the Edge development on Assembly Street, this P&C article explains a little more about it.

This is one of their free articles, all you must do is register.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...7d631d509.html
I didn't register. did they say when construction is scheduled to start?

Old 07-28-2020, 08:54 AM

273 posts, read 246,037 times
Read that one but still awesome! Last I heard it is supposed to start in the fall.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
These people just don’t stop. What’s aggravating to me is, you moved quite literally into a city, near a major university, and you’re mad that growth is happening (on one of the busiest roads downtown mind you). That’s BS. Get over it. You knew what could happen when you moved there. I suppose having the dilapidated strip there helps improve your neighborhood more. My mistake.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...244526642.html

Old 07-28-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
These people just don’t stop. What’s aggravating to me is, you moved quite literally into a city, near a major university, and you’re mad that growth is happening (on one of the busiest roads downtown mind you). That’s BS. Get over it. You knew what could happen when you moved there. I suppose having the dilapidated strip there helps improve your neighborhood more. My mistake.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...244526642.html
Yeah it's interesting that it's allowed under zoning but they expect the Design Review Committee to take action ...is that even under their purview ? At any rate it's likely the plus one that is driving this .....USC

Old 07-28-2020, 10:07 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Suing because the building doesn’t fit in....nowadays people...and USC will sue for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area