Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 PM

757 posts, read 568,714 times

Advertisements

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Your answer for Bull t And Elmwood. Wish I could find the drawings for it again. Plans unveiled for major updates to Cola's Bull Street - ColaDaily.com | You need the news, not the paper

Lol "They’re not thinking about us,” said Mary Harts, who lives off Farrow Road, near Interstate 277 in North Columbia...It’s already congested enough now,” she said. “We can’t get out of our driveways.”

I was surprised to see that this was published recently. 2018 seems ambitious for phase 2.

And your answer for North Main. WATCH: Major North Main project gets funding, residents react - ABC Columbia
Great news! That area looks shabby at the moment and they're right, there seems to be a demonstrable impact on development in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
When I first read your post I thought, "So? That's not surprising". But when I actually read the article it states that the 1 million mark will be reached by Lexington and Richland counties only. Pretty amazing.

Factor in the MSA population in 2035 by including Fairfield, Kershaw, Calhoun and Saluda counties. Also, add Newberry county and probably Orangeburg since these will most likely be added by the bureau by then. I think by 2020, the MSA population will be on the cusp if not at 1 million if Newberry and Orangeburg are added.

I know this has probably been debated before.. but at what point does the size (sq. mi) of an MSA become a factor? I mean an MSA of two counties that is 1,000 sq. miles versus one of the same population that stretches across eight Counties and 5,000 sq. miles may be the same population but the population density is vastly different. I assume that this data is used by retailers, corporations etc to study areas where they may want to locate in addition to things like buying power/income etc

Old 04-05-2017, 02:25 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I know this has probably been debated before.. but at what point does the size (sq. mi) of an MSA become a factor? I mean an MSA of two counties that is 1,000 sq. miles versus one of the same population that stretches across eight Counties and 5,000 sq. miles may be the same population but the population density is vastly different. I assume that this data is used by retailers, corporations etc to study areas where they may want to locate in addition to things like buying power/income etc
Retailers and corporations most likely look at a combination of MSA population as well as population within a certain radius of the core city. In larger metros like Charlotte and Atlanta, they probably rely more on core county population.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:45 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Having some knowledge of the process working with corporate retailers would say it's not as simplistic as density nor buying power which explains the many instances of omission seen in some areas for higher end retail. I live in one of those areas currently where the economic data and density (current and future) seems in favor of expansion for certain retailers but doesn't happen. I think another facet seems to be the perceived willingness of those living in a place like that to travel to other areas within the metro area to find those stores, which happens until the convenience factor is eliminated by longer drive time due to development and subsequent congestion. Another component of expansion is where some retailers will piggy-back off of proven leaders in store development like Anthropologie, Chico's, Trader Joe's, Starbucks and Whole Foods by letting them do the grunt work in assessment and join them after opening.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 PM

34 posts, read 53,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
When I first read your post I thought, "So? That's not surprising". But when I actually read the article it states that the 1 million mark will be reached by Lexington and Richland counties only. Pretty amazing.

Factor in the MSA population in 2035 by including Fairfield, Kershaw, Calhoun and Saluda counties. Also, add Newberry county and probably Orangeburg since these will most likely be added by the bureau by then. I think by 2020, the MSA population will be on the cusp if not at 1 million if Newberry and Orangeburg are added.
I suspect that by 2035 that there will be enough development along 378 to also throw Sumter into the MSA or CSA discussion.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 PM

746 posts, read 749,588 times
Quote:
MSA populations are not as important as population within the radius of the center. MSA and CSA populations do start to put places on a map for retailers. Even that is more art vs. science. It never hurts to look bigger on paper.

Also, the census bureau does use a very scientific formula of people commuting for work and such to determine what counties to include in an MSA and CSA so that data is reliable.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 PM

34 posts, read 53,825 times
Retailers will use MSA and CSA populations as relevant benchmarks, because they show the propensity of people in an area to commute within a certain radius for jobs. That roughly correlates to how far people are willing to commute for services such as shopping.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,962 times
Downtown was very busy today. 2 baseball games and on Main Street there was a bunch of different live music performances on the streets. It was so active.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:05 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I suspect that by 2035 that there will be enough development along 378 to also throw Sumter into the MSA or CSA discussion.
I have alwayed thought that adding Sumter would make sense. I dont know why thr politicos in sumter dont try to do more to align with Columbia as opposed to the likes of Manning and Bishopville. No offense to those communities but I dont see the benefit to Sumter in playing up that angle with those towns other than feeling like the big fish in small pond.....but if no ome cares about the pond or its being drained....you are screwed......If i were sumter i would try to get a seat on the airport commission at CAE and contribute$$$ annually and petition them to change the name to Columbia Sumter Regional Airport. They could atleast get on the map as a business center of some sort and start the alignment process

Old 04-16-2017, 01:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
In downtown and I really wonder if anything ever will top the Capital Center building. Amazing that it's still the states tallest. It's so "short."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area