Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The public parking garage I use to park my car while living on Main at Taylor and Assembly is always near full during the day.
Workers don't have a problem parking in garages during the day, but for folks visiting downtown in the evenings, it can be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM

746 posts, read 749,588 times
I have actually seen a huge shift in the last couple years about parking garages. It seems only people in their 60's and people from rural areas really have a fear of these parking garages. The garage that is attached to the Hilton is always busy at night, and the garage across from the police station next to the aloft has gotten much busier now that the hotel opened. The Sumter garage and Cannon garage always have people walking around in them, and the yellow shirts do a good job of patrolling.

I have also noticed a decrease in panhandling lately.

When people complain about lack of parking lots, I usually refer them to the Harbison, or the Village at Sandhill... There are plenty of places people can park free and eat/drink/shop. I prefer a dense, walkable area. If people prefer low density with parking lots and cars, they have plenty of options, and should probably stick to those.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM

34 posts, read 53,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Workers don't have a problem parking in garages during the day, but for folks visiting downtown in the evenings, it can be a different story.
It's nearly full up until about 7 or 8 pm every day. And this is the parking garage across the street from Oliver Gospel and Finlay with the biggest concentration of homeless panhandlers. People in Columbia clearly don't have as big an issue with it as you think.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:35 PM

306 posts, read 393,844 times
I have a hard time believing that there is still such a stigma with parking garages in Columbia. I grew up in Lexington and there was never any issue with my very conservative suburban family members parking in a garage. And my grandparents (60s and 70s) don't think twice about parking in a garage whether we are going to Soda City market or our for dinner. I think this stigma is being perpetuated by a few that think everyone with this mindset has just crawled out from under their single wide....

Now people getting angry because they can't park out front of their destination.... thats definitely still a Columbia (southern in general) thing.

I personally prefer to park in garages... Protection from the unbearably hot summer sun and afternoon thundershowers.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 PM

757 posts, read 569,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
I have a hard time believing that there is still such a stigma with parking garages in Columbia. I grew up in Lexington and there was never any issue with my very conservative suburban family members parking in a garage. And my grandparents (60s and 70s) don't think twice about parking in a garage whether we are going to Soda City market or our for dinner. I think this stigma is being perpetuated by a few that think everyone with this mindset has just crawled out from under their single wide....

Now people getting angry because they can't park out front of their destination.... thats definitely still a Columbia (southern in general) thing.

I personally prefer to park in garages... Protection from the unbearably hot summer sun and afternoon thundershowers.
The two are not mutually exclusive. Parking garages are usually several blocks away from where people are going, meaning they have to walk. Walking in such humidity can be unbearable, hence the aversion to parking garages. I had dinner tonight with a friend who just moved up from Columbia last year. He remarked that he used to drive from Pearlz to Saki Tumi simply because a few blocks seemed particularly far to walk. Meanwhile I walked two miles home tonight after dinner. The philosophy is definitely real.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's nearly full up until about 7 or 8 pm every day. And this is the parking garage across the street from Oliver Gospel and Finlay with the biggest concentration of homeless panhandlers. People in Columbia clearly don't have as big an issue with it as you think.
Well if that's true, it's more of a recent development. Let's not act as though this has always been the case because just a few years ago, there were lots of these concerns thrown around when the city was planning to build the garages next to the Hilton, on Lady Street, and on Sumter Street. And others have expressed similar concerns on this and other threads so obviously I'm not some dude that's far out of the loop.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:29 PM

273 posts, read 246,654 times
Anyone heard anything new about The Edge next to library?

Old 03-26-2017, 11:03 AM

1,154 posts, read 958,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
I heard it got approved and they should be starting construction later this year.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
I really hope this moves forward without a hitch. The design isn't anything to write home about, but having a tower in this spot would be a real shot in the arm for this part of downtown with the added bonus of adding to the skyline.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:58 PM

273 posts, read 246,654 times
I agree. I'm all for the density right now. And the design has come a long way from the mess it was before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area