Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 03:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Lmao no worries, plenty of other quicky/afternoon delight
Hotels closer to the airport
The Delta Motel, most likely, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 04:57 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
I saw a huge Brookland Sign at the empty plot by the river. It says coming soon on it this is exciting to see that land finally getting the build it deserves.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:27 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
I'm curious would it be cheaper for Columbia to get a Diesel Powered Commuter Train kinda like the Tri Rail in Florida. With something like that you wouldn't have to worry about building both new rails or electric lines. Only build would be the Stations.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:10 AM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
It would most likely cost over $100 Million to even do a minimal diesel route. There is no proof of demand for such a product either. When transit is forced upon people, it just gives anti-transit conservatives more fodder for their fire.

Forbes Welcome

I would much rather see a reconstructed Assembly Street and Huger Street paired with some type of electric bus or trolley that would transport people at a fairly high capacity around downtown and encourage people to make one trip to the downtown district.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:09 AM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
I can't imagine using Public Transportation around Columbia. There just aren't destinations in this town to justify coming from the NE without my car. I would have to drive to a station. Park, wait for a train, take the train, then walk or taxi my way to destination. That makes sense in NY, LA, San Diego, but I don't see ANY way to justify that in our medium sized little city.
I like MARTA in Atlanta for big conventions, I can hotel at Airport and take inexpensive ride to downtown. But just don't see appeal in Columbia.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:57 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I'm curious would it be cheaper for Columbia to get a Diesel Powered Commuter Train kinda like the Tri Rail in Florida. With something like that you wouldn't have to worry about building both new rails or electric lines. Only build would be the Stations.

I am much more in favor of a regional interstate rail service that connects the major cities in SC, NC and possibly GA. Raleigh and Charlotte already connected along with the points in between.. Extending that on existing tracks down to Columbia and then to Charleston would also pick up places like Rock Hill, Chester, Sumter, Summerville. A route from Charleston to Greenville via Columbia.. would add places like Irmo, Chapin, Newberry and Laurens to the route. even a Charleston to Atlanta Route via Columbia would add places like Aiken, Augusta, Covington/Conyer GA to ATL.. All this could be done along existing tracks with trains running several times a day.

Both GDOT and NCDOT are already coordinating together which will add Greenville and Spartanburg to an Atlanta to Charlotte route.. the rest of what I described is currently a pipe dream even though the tracks in place but need upgrades at various points.....

Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Are we talking rail service between cities or connecting the 3 main shopping/eating/drinking/entertainment areas in Columba which are Main St, 5 Points, and the Vista?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:11 AM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I am much more in favor of a regional interstate rail service that connects the major cities in SC, NC and possibly GA. Raleigh and Charlotte already connected along with the points in between.. Extending that on existing tracks down to Columbia and then to Charleston would also pick up places like Rock Hill, Chester, Sumter, Summerville. A route from Charleston to Greenville via Columbia.. would add places like Irmo, Chapin, Newberry and Laurens to the route. even a Charleston to Atlanta Route via Columbia would add places like Aiken, Augusta, Covington/Conyer GA to ATL.. All this could be done along existing tracks with trains running several times a day.

Both GDOT and NCDOT are already coordinating together which will add Greenville and Spartanburg to an Atlanta to Charlotte route.. the rest of what I described is currently a pipe dream even though the tracks in place but need upgrades at various points.....
I second that. South Carolina is at a place where a train from Columbia to Charleston would make sense. 26 has become a nightmare, and this would provide much relief for the corridor. I actually think it could be a profitable route.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I second that. South Carolina is at a place where a train from Columbia to Charleston would make sense. 26 has become a nightmare, and this would provide much relief for the corridor. I actually think it could be a profitable route.
I think so, too. With as much allure that Charleston has, a "day trip" would be an even shorter excursion. Lets face it, the beach is the place to be. Run a train all along the coast, maybe from Myrtle Beach to Charleston with a main connection through Columbia and ending in Greenville. That way, some of the coastal residents can do Appalachia for a day. That's just something I envision in my head, probably makes little logistic sense.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:54 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I think so, too. With as much allure that Charleston has, a "day trip" would be an even shorter excursion. Lets face it, the beach is the place to be. Run a train all along the coast, maybe from Myrtle Beach to Charleston with a main connection through Columbia and ending in Greenville. That way, some of the coastal residents can do Appalachia for a day. That's just something I envision in my head, probably makes little logistic sense.
That would be an awesome piece of infrastructure, but I think politics may forever prevent it from happening. On the right, you have small-government, anti-transit folks who will never support infrastructure of this magnitude. On the left, you have die-hard conservationists and environmentalists who would balk at the impact to the coastal ecosystems. If I recall correctly, I-73 was originally proposed to go to Myrtle Beach and then run southwest to Charleston, but the MYR-CHS portion was nixed due to environmental impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area