Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 09:54 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting Article about the other Columbia neighborhoods around downtown feeling left out of the renaissance downtown...

http://www.free-times.com/cover/left-behind-100516
The hard truth is that if these neighborhoods want to see development like what's going on in downtown, they are asking for gentrification. And the fact of the matter is that Benedict and Allen are too small to stimulate demand for student housing.

More mixed-income developments in these communities would probably be a good thing though, but there would have to be enough incentives in place for that to happen outside of HOPE IV-associated projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:56 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The hard truth is that if these neighborhoods want to see development like what's going on in downtown, they are asking for gentrification. And the fact of the matter is that Benedict and Allen are too small to stimulate demand for student housing.

More mixed-income developments in these communities would probably be a good thing though, but there would have to be enough incentives in place for that to happen outside of HOPE IV-associated projects.

I think part of what I think is trying to be conveyed is that the "incentives" leveled at student housing developers... are/were they available for ANY developer wanting to build housing.. student or otherwise? ( I actually don't know the answer) The whole infrastructure questions falls squarely back on Columbia Commons.. and/or the use of water and sewer funds to pay for infrastructure improvements in developing areas.

I agree that there is a fine line between redevelopment and gentrification.. with gentrification being almost a certain in areas that have abroad market appeal. The old Saxon Homes and Hendley Homes were torn down and mixed income neighborhoods were created but I believe the majority of those residents are not from the original housing development nor would qualify for subsidized housing...

Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM

746 posts, read 749,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Target Goes After Younger Market With Small, Focused Stores - WSJ

This is an interesting article about Target expanding to serve college campus and urban locations as a way to fuel growth. Maybe they are working with Park 7?
I just drove by the Park 7 Development (I forgot was it was called), and the little trailer they had there, has been removed. There is also very little progress on the lot where the structure is supposed to be built. Do you think this project has tanked?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:07 PM

1,154 posts, read 958,380 times
Quote:
I just drove by the Park 7 Development (I forgot was it was called), and the little trailer they had there, has been removed. There is also very little progress on the lot where the structure is supposed to be built. Do you think this project has tanked?
Oh no i hope it didn't tank.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 PM

I saw some type of signage and rendering next to the current fire hydrant today it was by NAI Avant. I couldn't see it but it looked like a massive building planned for that corner. Anyone might know what it might be?

Last edited by Growingup15; 10-10-2016 at 07:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 09:14 PM

I was thinking. Wouldn't it be cool to have something like this in downtown. I imagine something like this on the BBT building having assembly street and it would be an amazing sight in the Vista.

Not really a dancing women but something cool original for Columbia.
http://images1.miaminewtimes.com/ima...3/newtdemo.jpg

Old 10-10-2016, 10:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
^I like the new lights atop Capstone.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:59 AM

746 posts, read 749,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I saw some type of signage and rendering next to the current fire hydrant today it was by NAI Avant. I couldn't see it but it looked like a massive building planned for that corner. Anyone might know what it might be?
I took pictures of the rendering the other day. They are in this thread: Development on the city's original grid east of Marion Street

It is a medical office building.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
^I like the new lights atop Capstone.
Yeah that does look cool at night.

But we need something animated like the one in Miami. Facing towards the Vista.

Like this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cYFFG4BexbA/hqdefault.jpg

Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I took pictures of the rendering the other day. They are in this thread: Development on the city's original grid east of Marion Street

It is a medical office building.
Oh well thats kinda cool i guess. Definitely will fill in that hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area