Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I think that’s quickest road project of that size I’ve ever seen SCDOT do.
That contractor must have wanted that bonus!

It's crazy how long the widening of I-20 in Lexington County is taking, what is this year 4 or 5 now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 11:05 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That contractor must have wanted that bonus!

It's crazy how long the widening of I-20 in Lexington County is taking, what is this year 4 or 5 now?
Yep I-20 widening started back in the spring-summer of 2016. And doesn’t seem like it’ll be done til the end of 2021 at this rate.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:59 PM

177 posts, read 122,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gotcha. That's even more of a reason for the city to not just accept "anything better" that's currently there. I'm glad that the city is breaking out of that mindset and I hope news coverage about the zoning appeal rejection piques the interests of developers willing to build a quality project on the site that sets a standard for future development in that area.
The issue I think we will see is that Cheapway not wanting to leave that corner and that store is truly an eye sore and a point of congregation so the unsavory select of homeless in the downtown area. Always some seedy types hanging out there and it doesn’t help they sell all the drug paraphernalia to use hard drugs from the store either. If someone can buy out the whole corner then anything would be a positive there. I think it would be a prime location for some apartments or a hotel with a bottom level of retail or offices. You could ease traffic by running the entrance / exit out into Sumter st rather than fighting that corner.

I think a retail store of some type like target or whatever would do well at main and elm wood. Not sure if IKEA has smaller footprint stores but one of those would fit perfect there if it was smaller than the one in Charlotte considering all the cross traffic from interstates through there and all the residential near to include USC.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:08 PM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
The issue I think we will see is that Cheapway not wanting to leave that corner and that store is truly an eye sore and a point of congregation so the unsavory select of homeless in the downtown area. Always some seedy types hanging out there and it doesn’t help they sell all the drug paraphernalia to use hard drugs from the store either. If someone can buy out the whole corner then anything would be a positive there. I think it would be a prime location for some apartments or a hotel with a bottom level of retail or offices. You could ease traffic by running the entrance / exit out into Sumter st rather than fighting that corner.

I think a retail store of some type like target or whatever would do well at main and elm wood. Not sure if IKEA has smaller footprint stores but one of those would fit perfect there if it was smaller than the one in Charlotte considering all the cross traffic from interstates through there and all the residential near to include USC.
A smaller Target is such a no brainer for that location! Amazing that it hasn't happened yet- maybe we just need an eager developer to recruit?

Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post

That corner will definitely get redeveloped within the next couple of years as Columbia Common continues to get built out. It's just a matter of time.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:01 PM

744 posts, read 747,710 times
Lidl is one step closer to taking over the Piggly Wiggly space on Devine...

https://www.postandcourier.com/colum...71b8eb8d4.html

Old 09-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Also,

The Post and Courier is making a run at The State, with the launch of their Columbia Edition...

https://www.postandcourier.com/free-...66f5f533f.html

Old 09-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
A smaller Target is such a no brainer for that location! Amazing that it hasn't happened yet- maybe we just need an eager developer to recruit?

This is the kind of location target it looking for with their smaller format stores....

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6535...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-16-2020, 03:07 PM

306 posts, read 393,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Also,

The Post and Courier is making a run at The State, with the launch of their Columbia Edition...

https://www.postandcourier.com/free-...66f5f533f.html
I am excited to see this. I’ve hoped they would expand their Columbia coverage since the acquisition of the free times. I can only hope this grows into a daily paper, digitally, at least. I would definitely switch my subscription.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:14 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I lived in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) for 10 years before moving to Columbia (Lexington) 10 years ago. The P&C, agree with their editorials or not, was a "real" newspaper. The State newspaper is a piece of "crap" and they cannot even get it delivered to me as promised. I welcome the P&C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area