Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 08:11 PM

177 posts, read 122,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I saw this listed on a commercial broker site.. This would be a nice parcel to do a large subdivision that has nice proximity to the river and downtown. Its unfortunate that the RR separates it from direct riverfront access but since the property straddles the RR they could put a bridge or other connection across it to the water..It could make use of Crane Creek that runs through. It could be a nice planned community that could be visible from I-20 assuming its not in a flood plain. I suspect the challenge is that it is hemmed in by some more challenged neighborhoods and thus it is someone of an island.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Rive...ia-SC/5773881/

On a related note.. I am surprised that the developer that owns these parcels (Canal Place in Earlewood) hasn't started to put homes on them.. All of these lots have wonderful views of the canal and the river and I believe the infrastructure is already in place... Anyone know what the deal is...?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbia,+SC/@34.0169537,-81.0591534,339m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f8a5697931d1e3:0xf3280 8f4b379fa96!8m2!3d34.0007104!4d-81.0348144
You hit the nail on the head. Most of the houses around there are really small and super cheap. The area looks like a post apocalyptic dump, and crime is really high. It will take a lot from a developer to try and build there with such hard obstacles to overcome. They have a lot to deal with land wise, and then to put that type of investment into there it would be a hard sale due to its location next to crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Most of the houses around there are really small and super cheap. The area looks like a post apocalyptic dump, and crime is really high. It will take a lot from a developer to try and build there with such hard obstacles to overcome. They have a lot to deal with land wise, and then to put that type of investment into there it would be a hard sale due to its location next to crime.

Yeah.. I suspect that the crime issue and the performance of the zoned schools likely play a big role as well with this tract.. Its unfortunate because Columbia does have some infill (Shandon, Rosewood, Earlewood Park) and some larger infill like Bull Street, edge fill like Burnside Farms on Garners Ferry but the primary driver for growth is annexation....which as we all know can be problematic at best.. The City is annexing some high end subdivision/development up in the NE off of I-20 near Percival and Clemson Roads...Other than that..not sure much else is happening.. Large tracts like this that are well within the urbanized area and close to the city center would be nice additions to the core and edge of the City. This particular site could easily tie into the three rivers greenway/canal trail and provide an excellent cycling route to downtown.

As we have discussed before.. Lots of development opportunities in North Columbia around I-20 Monticello, Fairfield and north Main.. Maybe Columbia International University's interest will spur more in this area since it is not too far way.. The vacant shopping center at River Drive and Sunset is another example.. It should have a grocery store in it but that has been a challenge

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbia,+SC/@34.0300917,-81.0545605,485m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f8a5697931d1e3:0xf3280 8f4b379fa96!8m2!3d34.0007104!4d-81.0348144

Old 09-04-2019, 10:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Not every development has to be high end or even middle level. Lower income people need places to live and we need more affordable housing.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Not every development has to be high end or even middle level. Lower income people need places to live and we need more affordable housing.

Very true... the City's focus.. outside of the redevelopment of federally assisted public housing seems to be annexation of middle and upper income suburban and exurban subdivisions. That is all well and good but some of the most challenging areas in the region hug the city limits or are in donut holes surrounded by but not inside of the city limits. Those areas tend to be overlooked and forgotten until there is some headline grabbing incident that calls attention to its plight. Richland County's focus seems to be... a law enforcement solution also made popular by Live PD and commercial redevelopment, very little interest in residential improvement or development of its older housing stocked neighborhoods (pro sprawl policy).. City of Columbia is interested.. intown redevelopment (student housing , hotels, stadiums etc) of the core and annexation of subdivisions.

The tract that I am referencing could certainly be a mixed income neighborhood or if the city is involved they can assist with down payment and closing cost for lower income residents. It is in fact in a challenged part of the city/area. I am not advocating for wholesale redevelopment of these areas .. but a combination of law enforcement, forced closure/new management of some of these challenging apartment complexes and commercial businesses, and some type of how ownership/rehab program that targets low to moderate income neighborhoods and new housing (rental and homeownership) in these areas would be helpful. Maybe there are programs currently underway that are addressing this.. but I haven't seen any that are well publicized or the results that they are having.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:46 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Amen

Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
It’s not like it’s something we didn’t already know was happening in this state. Columbia came in at #4. After Charleston, but surprisingly before Greenville.

https://www.realtor.com/research/q2-...demand-report/

Old 09-07-2019, 06:49 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
It’s not like it’s something we didn’t already know was happening in this state. Columbia came in at #4. After Charleston, but surprisingly before Greenville.

This to me is still quite astonishing. Although it supports the theory that Columbia’s reputation is better outside state lines than what our peers in-state think of us.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post

It's difficult to read too much into the numbers, but I wonder what we can interpret about the OOS buyers given the data? I see a few possibilities given that the majority of shoppers are searching for primary residences:

1. OOS buyers are typically lower income earners who are moving because they cannot easily afford to buy in their respective cities (hence lower median price points).

2. OOS buyers are typically younger and are therefore looking at lower price points (perhaps in less expensive exurban suburbs).

Any other scenarios that might make sense?

Old 09-09-2019, 04:06 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
Umm a lot of investors looking for bargains account for these search results too

Old 09-09-2019, 05:37 AM

177 posts, read 122,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
It's difficult to read too much into the numbers, but I wonder what we can interpret about the OOS buyers given the data? I see a few possibilities given that the majority of shoppers are searching for primary residences:

1. OOS buyers are typically lower income earners who are moving because they cannot easily afford to buy in their respective cities (hence lower median price points).

2. OOS buyers are typically younger and are therefore looking at lower price points (perhaps in less expensive exurban suburbs).

Any other scenarios that might make sense?
You have the younger generation pegged

But also think about the recent surge of jobs and comparatively our very livable priced downtown. This is a huge draw. Most of USC now I think comes from out of state and a lot of them are staying around after they graduate now.

We are looked at as the progressive city for SC as well over Charleston which is the historic city and Greenville-Spartanburg which is still considered the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area