Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Really sad to see them go, I hope something truly remarkable and worthy of the Tapps building takes its place. This is one building I truly don’t want to see become housing. I think a nice museum or something of the sorts would be just perfect. I also hope the arts center can find another building that works for them.

https://www.postandcourier.com/free-...42c763ffe.html
I agree but this is what always happens when real estate becomes more valuable, like when the art studios left the vista for places with cheaper rent. Hopefully the raps folks will find new spaces maybe in West Columbia or north Main. Re housing what are upper floors of the building currently used for? (I thought already apartments?) not sure how they’re going to repurpose ground floor and basement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 07:42 AM

160 posts, read 141,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
I agree but this is what always happens when real estate becomes more valuable, like when the art studios left the vista for places with cheaper rent. Hopefully the raps folks will find new spaces maybe in West Columbia or north Main. Re housing what are upper floors of the building currently used for? (I thought already apartments?) not sure how they’re going to repurpose ground floor and basement?
Yes, upper floors are residential.
The main floor and basement could be a great indoor location for Soda City vendors able to commit to more than one day a week and for a Food Hall that a lot of folks want in Columbia.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoLex View Post
Yes, upper floors are residential.
The main floor and basement could be a great indoor location for Soda City vendors able to commit to more than one day a week and for a Food Hall that a lot of folks want in Columbia.

I predict a food hall or something to that effect with a collection of food vendors..since we don't yet have one in Columbia and it would dove tail nicely with Soda City, Main Street and also likely more affordable than a brick and mortar storefront for most food vendors

Old 09-21-2019, 06:04 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
Columbia's reputation continues to get rocked by CaslenGate.
USC board violated open-records rules to help Caslen become president: ‘This is chaos’

https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...38e3c248f.html

Old 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Columbia's reputation continues to get rocked by CaslenGate.
USC board violated open-records rules to help Caslen become president: ‘This is chaos’

https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...38e3c248f.html
I don't think this affects Columbia's reputation per se; USC's, yes.

This whole debacle has shown just how much of a double-edged sword the state is for Columbia. On the one hand, Columbia wouldn't be what it is if it weren't for state government/USC but on the other hand, the regressive state legislature prevents the city from becoming bigger and more prosperous in several ways.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:48 AM

The city of Columbia is moving forward with a plan to charge business license fees to hospitals, other nonprofits and their subsidiaries who offer services that compete with for-profit businesses.

[City councilman Moe] Baddourah noted that 65 percent of property in the city is tax exempt. That is because of the preponderance of state government buildings, USC’s campus, Fort Jackson and property owned by churches, schools and charities in the city. As a result, only 35 percent of property owners foot the bill for the vast majority of city services like fire and police protection, he said.

“That’s just not fair,” Baddourah said.

Columbia City Council on Tuesday gave initial approval to the measure. The vote was 6-1, with Mayor Steve Benjamin voting no. Benjamin could not be reached for comment Thursday.

It will take a second vote for the measure, which is expected to raise $2 million to $4 million annually, to become city policy.

Under the proposal, businesses that have a 501(c) tax status from the IRS — but otherwise operate as a profitable company — would begin paying business license fees like the rest of the city’s businesses. Baddourah first made the proposal in 2015.

Charities and places of worship would remain exempt from business license fees unless they rent out space as an event venue or sell food, Baddourah said.

https://amp-thestate-com.cdn.ampproj...235254212.html

Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I closed on the sale of my house in Columbia Wednesday. I got a little more than the list price in a little bidding war. It will be owner-occupied. The buyer already lived in the general neighborhood. I did not sell it lightheartedly. It sold after only six days on the market. To me that’s anecdotal evidence that people still want to live in the city of Columbia if they can find a house the like in their price range.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:54 AM

518 posts, read 435,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The city of Columbia is moving forward with a plan to charge business license fees to hospitals, other nonprofits and their subsidiaries who offer services that compete with for-profit businesses.

[City councilman Moe] Baddourah noted that 65 percent of property in the city is tax exempt. That is because of the preponderance of state government buildings, USC’s campus, Fort Jackson and property owned by churches, schools and charities in the city. As a result, only 35 percent of property owners foot the bill for the vast majority of city services like fire and police protection, he said.

“That’s just not fair,” Baddourah said.

Columbia City Council on Tuesday gave initial approval to the measure. The vote was 6-1, with Mayor Steve Benjamin voting no. Benjamin could not be reached for comment Thursday.

It will take a second vote for the measure, which is expected to raise $2 million to $4 million annually, to become city policy.

Under the proposal, businesses that have a 501(c) tax status from the IRS — but otherwise operate as a profitable company — would begin paying business license fees like the rest of the city’s businesses. Baddourah first made the proposal in 2015.

Charities and places of worship would remain exempt from business license fees unless they rent out space as an event venue or sell food, Baddourah said.

https://amp-thestate-com.cdn.ampproj...235254212.html
Good News! I would like to see them tax any non-profit that doesn't provide services to the community. For instance, Oliver Gospel and Transitions are helping people. Some big church that is only open for services and bible class isn't helping anyone.

We have a church in Blythewood that has Charter Buses on the property. Why should a legit charter company have to pay taxes when they don't?

Old 09-24-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Good News! I would like to see them tax any non-profit that doesn't provide services to the community. For instance, Oliver Gospel and Transitions are helping people. Some big church that is only open for services and bible class isn't helping anyone.
I doubt you could find a big church where that is the case. Practically all of them that I'm aware of have a slew of programs geared to help folks in the community.

Quote:
We have a church in Blythewood that has Charter Buses on the property. Why should a legit charter company have to pay taxes when they don't?
They are probably church-owned and exclusively used by the church. If they have an associated bus charter company, then that should be taxed but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:16 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
This article says twice that Columbia’s Forever 21 is the only one in SC. I googled “Forever 21 Charleston,” and the one on King Street at Beaufain seems to be still in business and closing at 9 p.m. Does anyone know something I don’t know?
https://www.thestate.com/news/busine...235626657.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area