Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2019, 04:24 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm glad more things are locating at BullStreet, but I was hoping for more development density. I don't want suburban style development. Yuck.
Yeah the drive-thru with the Starbucks is a bit much, but at least it fronts Bull and isn't within the interior of the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 06:34 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm glad more things are locating at BullStreet, but I was hoping for more development density. I don't want suburban style development. Yuck.
Exactly. Starbucks with a drive thru. Ew like I like Starbucks but that drive thru thing drives me nuts. More car oriented developments. We need to look into the future. This is in the middle of Downtown. Time to stop Developing stuff around cars and more around people. No more parking minimums for developments advocate for more biking walking and Transit oriented development.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:07 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Exactly. Starbucks with a drive thru. Ew like I like Starbucks but that drive thru thing drives me nuts. More car oriented developments. We need to look into the future. This is in the middle of Downtown. Time to stop Developing stuff around cars and more around people. No more parking minimums for developments advocate for more biking walking and Transit oriented development.
While I agree with everything you said about needing to get away from the car centric developments, I wouldn't say the Bull St. development is in the middle of Downtown, more like on the northeastern edge!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:16 AM

757 posts, read 568,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While I agree with everything you said about needing to get away from the car centric developments, I wouldn't say the Bull St. development is in the middle of Downtown, more like on the northeastern edge!
Yeah it's not easily walkable for a lot of people. Even getting there from Cottontown involves walking along and crossing major roads with little landscaping. The revised development strategy seems to be building along the perimeter where people are already passing- in cars. I think they need to strike a balance, much like Main Street, to get people to park and walk and eventually ween people off of cars. That said, it's not realistic to do it all immediately. This is still Columbia after all.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Yeah it's not easily walkable for a lot of people. Even getting there from Cottontown involves walking along and crossing major roads with little landscaping. The revised development strategy seems to be building along the perimeter where people are already passing- in cars. I think they need to strike a balance, much like Main Street, to get people to park and walk and eventually ween people off of cars. That said, it's not realistic to do it all immediately. This is still Columbia after all.
I can see a lot of surface parking surrounding REI, Starbucks, etc. at least to start, then slowly maybe converting some of those larger lots to parking garages with stores on the ground level?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:14 AM

518 posts, read 437,122 times
Quote:
I can't imagine anyone walking to/from Downtown to Bull St. Cute for these guys to dream about a walking/biking utopia. We are a long way from it. Need to have development closer to downtown for that to happen.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I can't imagine anyone walking to/from Downtown to Bull St. Cute for these guys to dream about a walking/biking utopia. We are a long way from it. Need to have development closer to downtown for that to happen.
Ideally, a modern streetcar going from West Columbia crossing the river and going up Gervais to Sumter then north on Sumter to Calhourn then into the Bull St. Complex could really tie the downtown and downtown's outer edges together.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:46 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Ideally, a modern streetcar going from West Columbia crossing the river and going up Gervais to Sumter then north on Sumter to Calhourn then into the Bull St. Complex could really tie the downtown and downtown's outer edges together.

Sure.. if Little Rock, ARK can have one why cant we.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Streetcar

Old 11-18-2019, 03:30 PM

160 posts, read 141,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Sure.. if Little Rock, ARK can have one why cant we.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Streetcar

I feel your pain!
Unfortunately 80% of their funding was federal taxpayer dollars almost 20 years ago. The current political climate in Washington DC isn’t exactly favorable toward these projects.
Also SC state government is hardly mass transit oriented. For a state so automobile oriented to wind up ranked as having the worst roads is inexcusable.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 PM

542 posts, read 1,109,309 times
I live by the Starbucks with the drive-thru in Irmo, and it is insane busy. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't get it. That being said, this will probably get people in BullStreet in droves, and isn't that the path to success?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area