Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 06:37 AM

333 posts, read 214,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
These comments made me chuckle.

I think the pessimism is warranted. The owner(s) of the Kline site are going to take the property to their graves. I think it'll still be a vacant lot by the time I get issued a walker. As for the Convention center flub, it's a loss because Ben Arnold really wanted something grand and premier. Columbia wasn't ready for that and is more focused on "... fixing Finlay Park, putting power lines underground downtown, fixing the Columbia Canal and cleaning up the appearance of the city as a whole. (The current Convention Center proposal) just introduces a huge amount of risk.”

I can't imagine our city leaders being the life of any party but I hope at least they stick to their damned words and follow through the housekeeping maintenance of the city as opposed to this city changing project. I thought this Rickenmann guy was all about attracting business and getting more properties on tax rolls. He'll eventually do it, but on a less grand scale. Now these properties will be getting a moderate investment and will fall inline to a more pedestrian-Columbia way of blowing big opportunities. Tow the line, Rickenmann!

“I thank Ben for taking a step back,” Mayor Daniel Rickenmann said in a statement Friday afternoon.

I'm sure you all can feel my disappointment from 6,000 miles away...

Here's the article from The State that got me going on this tangent:

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...s%20-%20MASTER
I was disappointed in the decision, but on the other hand the city does need to address all of the things that were mentioned. I also worry that the development of the smaller office buildings that he was proposing and the one that was built at Bullstreet Commons may deter any office tower development in the CBD. I'm not an expert but I would think that the office space that was proposed in conjunction with the Westlawn building lowers the price per sq/ft for office space in Columbia as a whole. That would push away the demand for a new tower downtown. I'd rather have a tower downtown with development around it than to have smaller buildings outside of the central business district. Office buildings were also proposed for the Kline site as well even with the scale back that they said had to occur. Hopefully, Ben does something satisfactory on his site and the Kline site develops as well, but the empty lots we have really need some attention to create more density. Maybe even one of the proposed hotels makes it's way across Assembly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 01:08 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I was disappointed in the decision, but on the other hand the city does need to address all of the things that were mentioned. I also worry that the development of the smaller office buildings that he was proposing and the one that was built at Bullstreet Commons may deter any office tower development in the CBD. I'm not an expert but I would think that the office space that was proposed in conjunction with the Westlawn building lowers the price per sq/ft for office space in Columbia as a whole. That would push away the demand for a new tower downtown. I'd rather have a tower downtown with development around it than to have smaller buildings outside of the central business district. Office buildings were also proposed for the Kline site as well even with the scale back that they said had to occur. Hopefully, Ben does something satisfactory on his site and the Kline site develops as well, but the empty lots we have really need some attention to create more density. Maybe even one of the proposed hotels makes it's way across Assembly.
not just empty lots but those dang parking craters we have in downtown. like the Corner of Assembly and Gervais those 2 lots and that Massive one across the street from the library needs to go Bye bye and developed into Dense Mixed Use.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:01 PM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
not just empty lots but those dang parking craters we have in downtown. like the Corner of Assembly and Gervais those 2 lots and that Massive one across the street from the library needs to go Bye bye and developed into Dense Mixed Use.
Yes, I was referring to the parking lots as well. The two lots at Assembly and Gervais are owned by the Papadea and Capilos families and is valued at around $3 million. They've been sitting on it for years and have said they would sell for the right project but haven't gotten it yet. They're more than likely going to hold onto it and pass the decision on to their children when they're gone.

The lot across from the library is very interesting. There's so much potential for that location. I'd like to see a mixed use development there or a permanent farmer's market/park with a ferris wheel and amphitheater. It could have both if a building project took up only the north or south side of the land.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:01 PM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
I understand why some are disappointed in the Convention Center development falling through and I too was really excited about the project until more of the details started leaking out late last year. There’s way too many overly positive assumptions and projections to justify the City spending $75 million on expansion as well as Richland County being forced to lease a parking garage from the developer over the next 30 years for double the market rate. Let’s not forget the promises Hughes made about Bull St - 60 retail and restaurant businesses having signed LOI’s in 2015, to date there are 2. It’s taken nearly a decade for the City to see any growth at Bull St outside of the baseball stadium. And the convention center expansion would’ve been a much larger commitment from the local governments. There’s no guarantee Arnold is going to follow through on all the pledged development he promised and many of the hotels and buildings are for several years down the road. Obviously the new leadership on City Council is taking a different path on developing the city than what we’ve seen for the last 30 years. Their philosophy is going to be improving the city to make it a more desirable place for private development instead of the City picking and choosing developments to support. I also expect more support from the state as it was apparent Benjamin did not have many friends in state government. Obviously what we’ve been doing hasn’t worked as we’ve been passed by peer cities in the state. I’m going to give them a couple years to implement their plan before deciding it’s the wrong path. Read the about the opposing study below, perhaps it’s slanted toward an outcome those that requested it wanted. But we’ve seen time and time again developers and corporations using rosy economic projections to receive a handout from state and local governments.

https://www.fitsnews.com/wp-content/...n-Analysis.pdf

Old 03-30-2022, 04:47 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
That report is really damning. The biggest numbers that stand out:

- Only 6% of all hotel room visits are generated by the convention center
- 88% of visitors are day trippers

If the prospect is to draw more local conventions (not surprising given Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Atlanta are all close), then the hotels are a red herring as there's no way they would be filled by convention goers. They may get wedding business as there's always lots of it and maybe some USC-related business, but the city would be funding an expensive expansion to justify hotels that according to the report wouldn't be profitable anyway.

My read is that the 30 year lease on the parking garage is a) a security policy as it's a guaranteed payment, even if the hotel is unprofitable b) a way to guarantee a big gain regardless of the hotel.

Now I'm glad they didn't fund the expansion, Arnold appeared to be selling a false bill of goods.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Seeing as though both the city and the county are on the same page here, I'm inclined to think that they made the prudent move here even if it's disappointing from a development standpoint.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:29 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That report is really damning. The biggest numbers that stand out:

- Only 6% of all hotel room visits are generated by the convention center
- 88% of visitors are day trippers

If the prospect is to draw more local conventions (not surprising given Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Atlanta are all close), then the hotels are a red herring as there's no way they would be filled by convention goers. They may get wedding business as there's always lots of it and maybe some USC-related business, but the city would be funding an expensive expansion to justify hotels that according to the report wouldn't be profitable anyway.

My read is that the 30 year lease on the parking garage is a) a security policy as it's a guaranteed payment, even if the hotel is unprofitable b) a way to guarantee a big gain regardless of the hotel.

Now I'm glad they didn't fund the expansion, Arnold appeared to be selling a false bill of goods.
Part of those numbers are because the convention center is currently too small to host conventions large events which attract people from outside the region. Events where people come in from around the country are usually large and need more space and hotel rooms.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:42 AM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I believe Columbia's best bet for now is not to see how many more people it can attract to conventions, but to do improvements that would make visitors more likely to wish they lived there.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:40 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I believe Columbia's best bet for now is not to see how many more people it can attract to conventions, but to do improvements that would make visitors more likely to wish they lived there.
/ keep more USC students post-grad or get them to return after several years in other cities since there's a steady, endless flow.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:12 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Yes, I was referring to the parking lots as well. The two lots at Assembly and Gervais are owned by the Papadea and Capilos families and is valued at around $3 million. They've been sitting on it for years and have said they would sell for the right project but haven't gotten it yet. They're more than likely going to hold onto it and pass the decision on to their children when they're gone.

The lot across from the library is very interesting. There's so much potential for that location. I'd like to see a mixed use development there or a permanent farmer's market/park with a ferris wheel and amphitheater. It could have both if a building project took up only the north or south side of the land.

Those are nice. I know I was dead set on a Epicentre style complex but I think a Mixed Use Complex that can achieve that same feel with a lot of Outdoor stuff added. I would love to see a ferris Wheel there. I think one in the Vista near the Convention Center would be better.

I think the Small Outdoor park like entrance to the Complex should be on the Main Street Side and they should connect that building with a sky bridge to the Garage on Washington Street so people can park there and that garage will have more use.

Looking at that Renderings you posted and it gives me so many ideas. I think it's time now with all the new development around that lot in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area