Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 06:29 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
So instead of them turning that Rail into pedestrian paths they are gonna go full on Road huh? I dont know how I feel about this. I'm sure the People in the Neighborhood are gonna say some things about this project. I Think that location would be used better for Housing because we need more of that instead of a School.
That railroad may make it less desirable for residential. I know canal side is close to a RR but it is below the neighborhood as opposed above which this track is to this site if I am not mistaken. I have taken Amtrak to/from Columbia and it comes through the area at 2am and 4am respectively.. and thats when its on time.. I know that developers dont build neighborhoods on train schedules but I certainly would be annoyed but some people get used to trains rolling through at various hours....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 10:32 AM

403 posts, read 233,816 times
Quote:
So instead of them turning that Rail into pedestrian paths they are gonna go full on Road huh? I dont know how I feel about this. I'm sure the People in the Neighborhood are gonna say some things about this project. I Think that location would be used better for Housing because we need more of that instead of a School.
There’s also a pedestrian path next to the road, the school will be extending the greenway. Did anyone follow the meeting to see if it was approved?

Old 06-05-2022, 08:56 PM

1,154 posts, read 956,344 times
there are plans for conversion of the Rutledge Building office building on 1429 Senate Street to be turned into mixed use development with apartments, retail, and renovated office space.
the project as a proposed project that will redevelop the existing office building into a mixed use building with 119 residential units, retail, and office spaces.

43 Studio Apartments; 76 One-Bedroom Apartments; 11,781 square feet of Office Space including rental offices; and 1,869 SF Bar/Lounge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CebZ3m9r6vH/

Old 06-07-2022, 10:16 AM

756 posts, read 567,332 times
Quote:
there are plans for conversion of the Rutledge Building office building on 1429 Senate Street to be turned into mixed use development with apartments, retail, and renovated office space.
the project as a proposed project that will redevelop the existing office building into a mixed use building with 119 residential units, retail, and office spaces.

43 Studio Apartments; 76 One-Bedroom Apartments; 11,781 square feet of Office Space including rental offices; and 1,869 SF Bar/Lounge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CebZ3m9r6vH/
I hate that building with a passion, it's so out of context. Let's hope they do something interesting with the facade while still maintaining the historical integrity they reference and clean up the street presence as the pedestal it sits on is equally terrible.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I hate that building with a passion, it's so out of context. Let's hope they do something interesting with the facade while still maintaining the historical integrity they reference and clean up the street presence as the pedestal it sits on is equally terrible.
This is where me and you differ. I love the Mid Century Brutalist design. I love Brutalist Buildings in general and believe should be a part of architectural history that should be preserved.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:44 PM

756 posts, read 567,332 times
Quote:
This is where me and you differ. I love the Mid Century Brutalist design. I love Brutalist Buildings in general and believe should be a part of architectural history that should be preserved.
Let's see if the Historical Registry agrees with you. In any case, that building could use something to give it ground level presence, it feels like it was dropped onto the block without any thoughts as to how it would interact with the street. Very characteristic of that time period.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Let's see if the Historical Registry agrees with you. In any case, that building could use something to give it ground level presence, it feels like it was dropped onto the block without any thoughts as to how it would interact with the street. Very characteristic of that time period.
I thought that any building over 50 years old qualifies... but I guess that doesnt mean that it would be designated. All of those 1970s Brady Bunch Split levels are now coming of age but I doubt anyone will fight to make them historic except for maybe the actual one in California... LOL

Old 06-12-2022, 08:40 PM

THis is a pretty substantial development in southeast Columbia.. Nearly 100 rental units.. I think its a great example of infill development which is much needed in Columbia especially southeast in terms of supporting more retail development in that area. I dont get the sense that NIMBYs will interfere in this one.. but I can hear cries of traffic rising as some of the adjacent streets are pretty minor.

https://planninganddevelopment.colum...SPR-Packet.pdf

Old 06-13-2022, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
THis is a pretty substantial development in southeast Columbia.. Nearly 100 rental units.. I think its a great example of infill development which is much needed in Columbia especially southeast in terms of supporting more retail development in that area. I dont get the sense that NIMBYs will interfere in this one.. but I can hear cries of traffic rising as some of the adjacent streets are pretty minor.

https://planninganddevelopment.colum...SPR-Packet.pdf
Like wanna help with Traffic "BUSES!!!!!" and give them dedicated Bus Lanes. Boom problem solved.
especially if they run frequently enough.

Old 06-13-2022, 04:30 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Columbia moving up in the world.

Another car wash in the heart of the city…

https://eedition.thestate.com/html5/...3-75712ef022b3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area