Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 11:08 AM

403 posts, read 232,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
What is that? Bar?
Poogan’s Southern Kitchen, a spin off of longtime Charleston restaurant Poogans Porch. There is an existing Poogans Southern Kitchen in Summerville and one coming to Mauldin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Poogan’s Southern Kitchen, a spin off of longtime Charleston restaurant Poogans Porch. There is an existing Poogans Southern Kitchen in Summerville and one coming to Mauldin.
Here’s an article on all the recent and upcoming openings in Forest Acres as well as a small update on Richland Mall.

https://www.wltx.com/article/money/b...d-060bd90f9d01

Old 08-23-2022, 07:57 AM

Interesting concept coming to Columbia. I always thought with as hot as Columbia is a water park would work, but why not try an artificial beach.

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...tourism/82456/

Old 08-23-2022, 09:15 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Interesting concept coming to Columbia. I always thought with as hot as Columbia is a water park would work, but why not try an artificial beach.

This is an amazing idea and one that can partially be attributed to Mayor Benjamin as he discussed the idea of building an artificial beach at Finlay Park back before the current plans. I would be interested to see how they construct it. Will they just dig a hole and dump sand around it?? Or is it like a glorified swimming pool?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:49 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
This is an amazing idea and one that can partially be attributed to Mayor Benjamin as he discussed the idea of building an artificial beach at Finlay Park back before the current plans. I would be interested to see how they construct it. Will they just dig a hole and dump sand around it?? Or is it like a glorified swimming pool?
I wonder if they could do something like this along the Congaree River? I guess not. The other option is would be to do it down at the Quarry in Olympia. The problem it would be like an infinity pool... take one step of the beach into the water and go down 500 ft ...no wading

Old 08-24-2022, 12:56 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:

This reminds me of a Columbia Beach idea I had like 13 years ago but my idea was more of digging out land and pumping water into it basically creating a multi mile wide and long stretch of Beach with an artificial Island in the middle with Hotels and stuff and homes surrounding it.

Virtually impossible looking at it now but I guess a Mini version of that idea would be cool for Columbia. Now we need to open up a large Indoor Ski resort to compliment this Artificial Beach

Old 08-24-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder if they could do something like this along the Congaree River? I guess not. The other option is would be to do it down at the Quarry in Olympia. The problem it would be like an infinity pool... take one step of the beach into the water and go down 500 ft ...no wading
I took a look around at the different Crystal Lagoons around the U.S. and around the world on Google Earth and they have quite a few that are parallel to a natural shoreline or nearby another natural body of water. So along the Congaree would be a cool idea and an even cooler visual. Especially if it fills those stupid quarries along the riverbank (hahaha and yes, it would take a lot of infill, first).

Personally, I feel as though this is a level above a water park (nicer and higher ceiling of potential). I read elsewhere there’s the possibility for a phase 2 which includes retail and maybe even a hotel if it’s like some of Crystal Lagoons in Florida.

Lastly, they said a site has already been chosen which is a commercial zone near a housing development (built or unbuilt, I don’t know). So judging by that and the other sites in the U.S. I could see this going in the Northeast area. Although it’s be nice to see it there and then maybe one in Lexington. Although I’m sure the other 2 sites will be spread elsewhere in the State.

But it’s nice to see something start in Columbia for a change.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
This reminds me of a Columbia Beach idea I had like 13 years ago but my idea was more of digging out land and pumping water into it basically creating a multi mile wide and long stretch of Beach with an artificial Island in the middle with Hotels and stuff and homes surrounding it.

Virtually impossible looking at it now but I guess a Mini version of that idea would be cool for Columbia. Now we need to open up a large Indoor Ski resort to compliment this Artificial Beach
That would be cool. Yeah, I wish this would be on a much larger scale like your idea. The island idea is awesome…This would certainly be a Dubai-ish like development but it’s really exotic and Columbia could certainly do with something like this.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I took a look around at the different Crystal Lagoons around the U.S. and around the world on Google Earth and they have quite a few that are parallel to a natural shoreline or nearby another natural body of water. So along the Congaree would be a cool idea and an even cooler visual. Especially if it fills those stupid quarries along the riverbank (hahaha and yes, it would take a lot of infill, first).

Personally, I feel as though this is a level above a water park (nicer and higher ceiling of potential). I read elsewhere there’s the possibility for a phase 2 which includes retail and maybe even a hotel if it’s like some of Crystal Lagoons in Florida.

Lastly, they said a site has already been chosen which is a commercial zone near a housing development (built or unbuilt, I don’t know). So judging by that and the other sites in the U.S. I could see this going in the Northeast area. Although it’s be nice to see it there and then maybe one in Lexington. Although I’m sure the other 2 sites will be spread elsewhere in the State.

But it’s nice to see something start in Columbia for a change.
I was thinking about places it could fit. Former SCANA land around I77 and exit 2 could be an option. Perhaps some redevelopment along Bluff Rd to make it more accessible for students. Killian Rd where Killian Crossing has been floundering for years. Lexington and Irmo/Chaplin area. My guess is one of the locations closer to downtown with apartments and retail going around it and if not then Killian.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:10 AM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
I just can't imagine this being built. We keep hearing about things like this. We had waterpark off Farrow, then riverpark in Finlay. I just don't see this even hitting ground break. I don't think we have the demographics to support this. A YMCA level waterpark would be a little more reasonable. We already have the lake not that far away. How much will someone pay to go to an artificial beach in the middle of Columbia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area