Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 12:50 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times

Advertisements

I have posted this before. I know of one state wide, professional society that use to use Columbia for their State Convention but they out grew the convention center and now hold it in Myrtle Beach. They would love to return to Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 06:25 AM

757 posts, read 568,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Those are nice. I know I was dead set on a Epicentre style complex but I think a Mixed Use Complex that can achieve that same feel with a lot of Outdoor stuff added. I would love to see a ferris Wheel there. I think one in the Vista near the Convention Center would be better.

I think the Small Outdoor park like entrance to the Complex should be on the Main Street Side and they should connect that building with a sky bridge to the Garage on Washington Street so people can park there and that garage will have more use.

Looking at that Renderings you posted and it gives me so many ideas. I think it's time now with all the new development around that lot in general.
I take it you mean the city building (1401 Main)? I think a skybridge might be tough, but I love the mural on the side near the "HOPE" statue. An entrance there makes total sense and I'd love for them to preserve that wall if at all possible when they eventually build something there as it's exceptionally well done and really distinctive.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:38 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have posted this before. I know of one state wide, professional society that use to use Columbia for their State Convention but they out grew the convention center and now hold it in Myrtle Beach. They would love to return to Columbia.
I heard or read that years ago about the South Carolina High School Coaches' Association if that's what it's called, maybe League? I don't know if they returned to Columbia or not.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I take it you mean the city building (1401 Main)? I think a skybridge might be tough, but I love the mural on the side near the "HOPE" statue. An entrance there makes total sense and I'd love for them to preserve that wall if at all possible when they eventually build something there as it's exceptionally well done and really distinctive.
Not that building but that Huge Parking Crater that faces Assembly street. That spot needs to be dense development ASAP and I think a Mixed use Complex with Retail Office Hotels and Apartments would be nice there. and that spot where that Mural is at can be part of an outdoor gathering spot that leads to the Front entrance of the mix used Complex from the Main Street Side.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:59 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
More affordable rental housing ... In town. I dont know if this will be a net gain, seems to be more like a "replacement" of the older barracks style housing with newer apartments and townhomes.

https://www.thestate.com/homes/article260417007.html

Old 04-14-2022, 03:18 PM

Fellow Urbanist from Mobile Midlands wrote this article on Post and Courier. I suggest taking a read if it's not behind a pay wall. Its a counter to the City unwillingness to listen to talks of real progress instead of sticking to the obvious unproven Urban concept we still try to desperately to hold onto. It's a rebuttal to the city audacity to say "parking" is the lifeblood of Columbia when that's the furthest from the truth and it's been proven over and over again that car culture is killing and bankrupting American towns and cities.

I implore you please take like 5 minutes to read this. Buddies Ian and Shirelle really put a lot work in writing this article and sharing facts.

https://www.postandcourier.com/colum...ac0d8d90a.html

Old 04-14-2022, 03:23 PM

In other News I got insight from Forest Acres officials that They are seeking a developer to completely tear down Richland Fashion Mall

I asked them what about trying to save the Superstructure into building mixed used in it and they said they wanted to but the area it sits in is a flood plain and they will not be allowed to build housing there unless they raise the land up. So the only option they have is to tear down the structure completely and start over with a brand new mixed use complex.

This saddens me greatly because again I spend most of my childhood in that mall growing up and to see it now about to be torn down and forever gone is just a reminder that almost nothing from my childhood exist anymore and I'm getting old.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:46 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
I never could stand a mall.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:37 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Ya tearing it down would be fantastic, hopefully that comes to fruition, it’s such an eyesore

Old 04-15-2022, 07:41 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
In other News I got insight from Forest Acres officials that They are seeking a developer to completely tear down Richland Fashion Mall

I asked them what about trying to save the Superstructure into building mixed used in it and they said they wanted to but the area it sits in is a flood plain and they will not be allowed to build housing there unless they raise the land up. So the only option they have is to tear down the structure completely and start over with a brand new mixed use complex.

This saddens me greatly because again I spend most of my childhood in that mall growing up and to see it now about to be torn down and forever gone is just a reminder that almost nothing from my childhood exist anymore and I'm getting old.
Unfortunately is was poorly designed. The parking garage in front of the actual mall was problematic from the beginning.. Even the food court could have supported some outdoor terrace type seating to take advantage of either the roof or view over the residential area in the rear. Then I think the scale of the mall was larger than what the market could support as I dont think it was ever near being 100 percent leased and always had alot of vacancies.. That said.. I did enjoy the theatre and the mall was nicely decorated and had a nice interior flow.

I am surprised that it was built if it was already in a flood plain. Maybe the rules around building in a flood plain have changed since the great Columbia Flood of a few years ago and thus they have to start over. I can agree with others that may be a better idea.. I suspect the structure may even be damaged by neglect... The videos I have seen of the mall show parts concrete from the parking garage missing and holes with leaks in the mall ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area