Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2022, 07:10 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Good because these Air bnbs are hurting affordable housing and housing availability. I say ban them good riddance

That's spin not actuality. AIRBNB's allow more travel options, perfect for families who can't fit in a hotel room. Also remember even if they did this, people would airbnb in Forest Acres, West Columbia and Cayce so it's borderline ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 08:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
So, a grocery store is what's being planned next to REI in the Bull Street District
A Sprouts would be nice; they've gone the small format route in recent years. I think Lidl could be a possibility also.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:55 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
That's spin not actuality. AIRBNB's allow more travel options, perfect for families who can't fit in a hotel room. Also remember even if they did this, people would airbnb in Forest Acres, West Columbia and Cayce so it's borderline ridiculous.
Yeah I would think most "viable" airbnbs intown would either be larger higher end historic homes and cozy bungalows that would appeal to a certain demographic like families with kids and people who may want to entertain for a wedding or graduation in addition to having a place to stay which makes them attractive.. I believe the bigger issues is likely college students or even some high schoolers whose parents rent them for parties getting out of hand and riling neighbors... Columbia is not New Orleans so... there is always that... LOL. Seems like this is being driven by Shandon.. but I could be wrong...

Old 05-24-2022, 10:17 AM

As an aside ...has any elected official in the city come out to speak about crime in the city ? Maybe I missed it but I have not seen or heard the Chief, Mayor or City Council come out and talk about it . To be honest the public doesn't seem to be outraged (yet) and maybe that has something to do with it. The mall shooting aside ..there just seem to be a lot of shootings and murders occurring. I get it may be everywhere but it seems that it is worse than normal here in soda city. Seems like we may be becoming "cap city" in terms of getting capped or shot. Smh

Old 05-25-2022, 08:59 PM

421 posts, read 574,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
As an aside ...has any elected official in the city come out to speak about crime in the city ? Maybe I missed it but I have not seen or heard the Chief, Mayor or City Council come out and talk about it . To be honest the public doesn't seem to be outraged (yet) and maybe that has something to do with it. The mall shooting aside ..there just seem to be a lot of shootings and murders occurring. I get it may be everywhere but it seems that it is worse than normal here in soda city. Seems like we may be becoming "cap city" in terms of getting capped or shot. Smh
What do you expect? Our city leaders are no different than the city leaders of other cities. They’re not going to call out criminals

Old 05-27-2022, 02:59 AM

Quote:
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...261794147.html
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...261829175.html

Old 05-27-2022, 06:36 AM

I couldnt get past the pay wall but I assume this is the answer to my question with politicos speaking about the crime...

Old 05-28-2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I couldnt get past the pay wall but I assume this is the answer to my question with politicos speaking about the crime...
Yes.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:43 PM

403 posts, read 233,222 times
Interesting note on this months Planning Commission, there is a proposal to convert the Rutledge Building on Senate St into a 169 unit apartment building. No plans are linked yet since only the draft is available at this time.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:13 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Interesting note on this months Planning Commission, there is a proposal to convert the Rutledge Building on Senate St into a 169 unit apartment building. No plans are linked yet since only the draft is available at this time.
Wow, that’d be nice. I wonder if they would change the exterior to make it look less “brutalist”? Lol

What does the building currently serve as now? Office space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area