Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2021, 03:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Wouldn’t Eau Claire HS make more sense over the other two? Even rn?
I just checked the current boundary.. It is still zoned for Columbia High

https://www.richlandone.org/cms/lib/...%20%20Maps.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
I stand by Eau Claire being the HS of choice. With the growth of North Main over the past decade, I do not see a reason to think that shopping center is a great development opportunity. And the OP is correct, religious institutions do not put land up for sale lightly. I think that property is a great investment to continue the growth northward and across the river to Broad River Road.
If you look at the zone map that is in Eau Claire Zone ... large portions of it north of I-20 is undeveloped. When you cross into Richland II that all changes. That is the reason why some, in the business community, want to consolidate the districts so they can redraw the lines to put much of that land up Monticello and Fairfield that is largely undeveloped into new school boundaries. I think they feel that is easier than "fixing" Eau Claire and some of its feeder school which is the more ideal scenario. But from a logistics perspective. Sending kids that live on the far end of Monticello and Fairfield Road to Richland II schools may make sense if you look at this map and any new development in these areas would likely occur as a result of being in a zone for a Westwood or a Blythewood HS given some of the school rankings that I have seen compared to the current ones in the EC Zone. The distance to/from the elementary and middle schools in the Richland One Zone also seem somewhat far for kids in that age group...BUT there are likely not many in those far flung areas due to lack of development in those same areas as they are largely rural.. I think its a catch 22 its rural because of lack of development interest likely brought on by poor school ranking followed by likely the lack of infrastructure.....

https://www.richlandone.org/cms/lib/...ols%20Maps.pdf

https://www.richlandone.org/cms/lib/...y%20%20map.pdf

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-22-2021 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-22-2021, 03:23 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I just checked the current boundary.. It is still zoned for Columbia High

This seems stupid to me when it’s the closer school and makes more sense. But okay. I’ve always wondered, even when I was in school, why it’s student population made it a class three A school when it’s surrounded by so many neighborhoods and houses. It should easily be a size 5A. Same things with Columbia High. The way they set these arbitrary boundaries is very stupid. Just like kids on the East side of downtown go to Columbia High and not Flora or Dreher. Makes no sense. But again, if they consolidated the districts within the county, you’d have to not only win over Richland 2 parents (a task of itself), but also LR5 Parents (which will never happen). And then, what would happen to the Lexington portion of that district? Would it just operate as it’s own district still but with significantly less schools and funding? Or would it be absorbed by Lexington 1, creating yet another split caused by the Lake/River.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 12-22-2021 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2021, 03:34 PM

403 posts, read 232,451 times
Quote:
This seems stupid to me when it’s the closer school and makes more sense. But okay. I’ve always wondered, even when I was in school, why it’s student population made it a class three A school when it’s surrounded by so many neighborhoods and houses. It should easily be a size 5A. Same things with Columbia High. The way they set these arbitrary boundaries is very stupid. Just like kids on the East side of downtown go to Columbia High and not Flora or Dreher. Makes no sense. But again, if they consolidated the districts within the county, you’d have to not only have to win over Richland 2 parents (a task of itself), but also LR5 Parents (which will never happen). And then, what would happen to the Lexington portion of that district? Would it just operate as it’s own district still but with significantly less schools and funding? Or would it be absorbed by Lexington 1, creating yet another split caused by the Lake/River.
I’m guessing the reason Columbia Highs boundaries are what they are goes back to when it was actually located downtown prior to the late 70’s.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
This seems stupid to me when it’s the closer school and makes more sense. But okay. I’ve always wondered, even when I was in school, why it’s student population made it a class three A school when it’s surrounded by so many neighborhoods and houses. It should easily be a size 5A. Same things with Columbia High. The way they set these arbitrary boundaries is very stupid. Just like kids on the East side of downtown go to Columbia High and not Flora or Dreher. Makes no sense. But again, if they consolidated the districts within the county, you’d have to not only win over Richland 2 parents (a task of itself), but also LR5 Parents (which will never happen). And then, what would happen to the Lexington portion of that district? Would it just operate as it’s own district still but with significantly less schools and funding? Or would it be absorbed by Lexington 1, creating yet another split caused by the Lake/River.
I suspect that its about student population/demographics. Since the enrollment in Richland 1 is declining they keep carving up a pie that is getting smaller and smaller. Its either that or school consolidation/closure. Back in the 90s most of the schools in Richland 1 were 3A or above. Now maybe that applies to LR, Flora and Dreher...but I could be wrong. From what I have heard about consolidation ideas, it does not involve Lex Richland 5 since geographically it straddles both Counties.

As for Richland 2 Parents complaining. I think if the boundaries for their schools could essentially stay the same. The issue that they may have would be overcrowding in the schools in the areas that grow that were once in the Richland 1 zone are now sending their kids into existing Richland 2 schools. Only Keenan HS is positioned to take on more Richland 2 residents as it is the furthest from the City and the closest to Richland 2 so maybe there is some boundary changes there that pull kids in from RNE Zone but there are to many areas where I see Richland 2 residents being forced into Richland 1 schools. Since Richland 1 is losing students.. consolidation would likely only affect schools in Richland 1 and allow some to close and shift students elsewhere or become charter or specialty schools like STEM or Music/Fine Arts.

The biggest gain for both districts would be a "leaner" administration and a larger tax base to pull from since Richland 2 cant take advantage of the commercial/office growth downtown and Richland 1 is losing students and has facilities that could be under capacity...If specialty schools are created some Richland 2 folks could take advantage of them as well not to mention some of these specialty schools (depending on the focus) could attract/retain residents in sections of the city that want to take advantage of innovative/successful programs. I doubt many Richland 1 parents will complain especially if they can send their kids to better schools. The net effect could also mean lower taxes for all residents and businesses in entire County which may also be of interests to residents in both districts....which is what the new Mayor may start touting as part of his business friendly platform for the city.

Old 12-24-2021, 06:01 AM

New Korean BBQ restaurant coming to Columbia by the same people who own 929 in the Vista. They say they can’t disclose the location yet, wonder if this could be a tenant in the West Lawn building? Based off the plans that have been released I would think it has to be in a newer apartment/ office building.

https://www.instagram.com/929kitchen...dium=copy_link

Old 12-27-2021, 02:59 PM

518 posts, read 435,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
New Korean BBQ restaurant coming to Columbia by the same people who own 929 in the Vista. They say they can’t disclose the location yet, wonder if this could be a tenant in the West Lawn building? Based off the plans that have been released I would think it has to be in a newer apartment/ office building.

https://www.instagram.com/929kitchen...dium=copy_link
Why in the world would they announce a restaurant but not say where? Just don't get that at all.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Why in the world would they announce a restaurant but not say where? Just don't get that at all.
One that probably isn’t opening for some time

Old 01-01-2022, 06:08 PM

This dude is at it again... He can make any city look like Detroit....smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqrC18O3748

Old 01-01-2022, 06:31 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This dude is at it again... He can make any city look like Detroit....smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqrC18O3748
I’ve just decided he doesn’t have good taste based on what he’s said about some other cities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area