Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 11:57 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
Miracle does have food. I have no idea what the menu is like, but I met my parents up there and dad was eating chicken wings. He either brought his own or they serve something.
Miracle is pretty expensive and leans fancy, FYI. It’s really nice and a great time, just know what it is before you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 04:09 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
A friend of mine just posted on Facebook (automatically, I think, but beside the point) that he and his significant other are at Cola’s. I asked him in real time just now about Christmas decor and he said no, it’s the usual. I guess they can’t be bothered.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
A friend of mine just posted on Facebook (automatically, I think, but beside the point) that he and his significant other are at Cola’s. I asked him in real time just now about Christmas decor and he said no, it’s the usual. I guess they can’t be bothered.

If you are talking about Cola's Restaurant I was there tonight, they had a Christmas tree up and some Christmas wreaths.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:38 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedman View Post
If you are talking about Cola's Restaurant I was there tonight, they had a Christmas tree up and some Christmas wreaths.
Maybe they waited until now to decorate. But also, I wondered how thoroughly he scanned the place before responding.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:21 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
I saw that the shopping center at the intersection of River and Sunset Drive on the edge of Earlewood has an "available" sign on it..It is owned by the church across the street. it is prime for development especially with a good grocery store and supportive retail. I am not sure if the church is outright selling the property or if they are looking for a developer partner. I believe its the later since many churches dont sell land unless they are in financial crisis and I dont think this one is... It will be interesting to see if someone steps forward and what type of development can happen there. Again I suspect a rehab as opposed to a demo.. but I dont know what the condition of the property is though it doesnt look bad from the street

Old 12-21-2021, 07:20 AM

518 posts, read 435,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I saw that the shopping center at the intersection of River and Sunset Drive on the edge of Earlewood has an "available" sign on it..It is owned by the church across the street. it is prime for development especially with a good grocery store and supportive retail. I am not sure if the church is outright selling the property or if they are looking for a developer partner. I believe its the later since many churches dont sell land unless they are in financial crisis and I dont think this one is... It will be interesting to see if someone steps forward and what type of development can happen there. Again I suspect a rehab as opposed to a demo.. but I dont know what the condition of the property is though it doesnt look bad from the street
I can't imagine anyone putting any money there. They would have to have some grand ideas. Just seems a crappy area with zero benefit for profit. It would have to be a very charitable company to want to spend money there.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:40 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I can't imagine anyone putting any money there. They would have to have some grand ideas. Just seems a crappy area with zero benefit for profit. It would have to be a very charitable company to want to spend money there.
I agree. No business, except Bucko's, has ever succeeded there.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:40 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Really?! I guess I was looking at what it is close to.. Keenan Terrace, Earlewood , Cottontown, Elmwood Park and the Hospital. I know the areas to the west are certainly not the best... but a few years ago if you told me a brewery/office complex would open in the old Stone Manufacturing Plant on North Main (right up the street) I would have said no way.. Maybe the folks who are doing that... the Middletons would be interested? That whole stretch needs some love from the City.. If you look at the streetscape on North Main and the Bridge over the Broad River.(with Canal Trail access). You would think the City would see an opportunity to connect the two via River Drive with some improvements. Part of the issue is that some of that stretch is in Richland County (outside the City) but it is very much a gateway into the City. I am sure you could raze the building and do something mixed use on the site.. but I believe the site is historic or qualifies for it as an example of an early strip mall especially in Columbia circa 1940s(?) and during the boom period of the City of Eau Claire.

There are two large tracts of land along the Broad River ... one north of River Drive and the other south of River Drive that could support new residential development.. Maybe if something were to happen on those sites and a couple hundred homes get built.. that would also increase interest in spurring commercial development ? I dont know if schools are an issue since Laurel Hill and Canal Place were built within the last decade and I believe are zoned for Columbia High unless its changed to Dreher/Flora in recent years..

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-21-2021 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-22-2021, 12:32 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Really?! I guess I was looking at what it is close to.. Keenan Terrace, Earlewood , Cottontown, Elmwood Park and the Hospital. I know the areas to the west are certainly not the best... but a few years ago if you told me a brewery/office complex would open in the old Stone Manufacturing Plant on North Main (right up the street) I would have said no way.. Maybe the folks who are doing that... the Middletons would be interested? That whole stretch needs some love from the City.. If you look at the streetscape on North Main and the Bridge over the Broad River.(with Canal Trail access). You would think the City would see an opportunity to connect the two via River Drive with some improvements. Part of the issue is that some of that stretch is in Richland County (outside the City) but it is very much a gateway into the City. I am sure you could raze the building and do something mixed use on the site.. but I believe the site is historic or qualifies for it as an example of an early strip mall especially in Columbia circa 1940s(?) and during the boom period of the City of Eau Claire.

There are two large tracts of land along the Broad River ... one north of River Drive and the other south of River Drive that could support new residential development.. Maybe if something were to happen on those sites and a couple hundred homes get built.. that would also increase interest in spurring commercial development ? I dont know if schools are an issue since Laurel Hill and Canal Place were built within the last decade and I believe are zoned for Columbia High unless its changed to Dreher/Flora in recent years..
Wouldn’t Eau Claire HS make more sense over the other two? Even rn?

Old 12-22-2021, 01:39 PM

273 posts, read 246,037 times
I stand by Eau Claire being the HS of choice. With the growth of North Main over the past decade, I do not see a reason to think that shopping center is a great development opportunity. And the OP is correct, religious institutions do not put land up for sale lightly. I think that property is a great investment to continue the growth northward and across the river to Broad River Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area