Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times

Advertisements

Article from the DR about some approved improvements for the Town Commons:

Quote:
New picnic tables, park benches, water fountains and waste receptacles should be in place this summer at Greenville’s Town Common, the first of $150,000 in improvements.

The City Council in November approved the purchase of ornamental benches, vinyl-coated picnic tables, combination recycling bin-trash can containers and drinking water fountains that include bowls for pets.

The council also approved decorative park entrances, construction of a walkway from the parking lot to the amphitheater, a floating fishing pier and kayak/canoe launch as part of the improvements.

Bids for the benches, fountains and receptacles have been received by the city, and an order was expected to be placed shortly, Recreation and Parks Director Gary Fenton said. It was anticipated that installation of the furnishings would be completed by mid-June.

Proposals the department received to build the fishing pier and kayak/canoe launch were significantly over budget, Fenton said, so the scope of the project is being modified for another round of bids. Fenton said the project is expected to be completed by early summer.

Should funds remain after high-priority projects are completed, other items, like dumpster relocation and screening, will be addressed this summer, Fenton said.

The ADA-accessible walkway could be delayed due to uncertainties of an exact route. Engineering for the walkway will be revisited as part of the Phase I design development process, Fenton said.

Many residents who participated in discussions about park improvements requested permanent restroom facilities. The work was not included because the cost would have used the entire $150,000 allotment for the park.

While the city doesn’t anticipate an large influx of visitors as a result of the initial improvements, Fenton said he expected them to increase park quality and appearance and encourage some new users.

“We have been receiving positive comments about the new pier and even hearing from some vendors wishing to provide kayak and/or canoe rental services once the project is completed,” Fenton said. “We’re hopeful that a request for proposal process will be possible later this year to make such rentals a reality.”

COST BREAKDOWN

Itemized expenditure estimates for improvements coming to the Town Common:

$55,000 for a 5,500-square-foot walkway from the parking lot to the amphitheater.

$43,992 for a floating fishing pier

$10,455 for five ornamental benches with backs cost

$8,500 for five ornamental benches without backs

$7,348 for recycling bin/trash receptacle combinations

$6,715 for five vinyl-coated picnic tables

$3,600 for three water fountains with pet bowls

$3,440 for dumpster relocation, pad and PVC fencing

The project’s total allocation was $150,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
I think the signage on the parking deck looks nice. At least helps people from out of town realize it's a public parking deck. They have signage like that in Charlotte.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:55 AM

20 posts, read 34,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That data appears to be fairly old. We were still stuck in the depths of the recession then. I wonder what it looks like today? I know something has gotten better because I saw a bright red Ferrari cruising down 5th St today.
I've seen that Ferrari too... it belongs to one of the Stallings family. He's had it for a number of years now.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 PM

155 posts, read 235,297 times
I actually like the parking deck sign as well. It's kind of a retro style sign IMO and looks totally appropriate on the deck. With all the plaza and other work around it, it's pretty exciting to have this in place.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
ECU article about the Millennial Campus

ECU Millennial Campus

Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 PM

120 posts, read 229,230 times
Looks like "Moore's Barbecue, Chicken and Seafood" is opening next to Sam's Club.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:47 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
Looks like "Moore's Barbecue, Chicken and Seafood" is opening next to Sam's Club.
Will they be opening in an existing building or a new building? I'm trying to think of where that would be near Sam's Club.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Is that the same Moore's from New Bern? That place is an institution.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Here's hoping that Moore's opens a professional eating establishment. The current BBQ business model in Eastern Carolina is a little too relaxed for my dinner time eating experience.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:39 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Here's hoping that Moore's opens a professional eating establishment. The current BBQ business model in Eastern Carolina is a little too relaxed for my dinner time eating experience.
Boooooooiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!!

What?????

I don't think any of them let you in without shoes and most all require a shirt!

Good God man, it is BBQ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina