Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I can see why you named yourself nslander now, because of the way you're slandering and butchering up Tokyo's reputation.

LA is nothing like Tokyo, it's a little more than a third of the size and density of the Tokyo region. Have you ever been to Tokyo? It blows LA away in size and scale, it blows everything on this side of the world away, Mexico City and NYC included. You Angelenos think this multiple centers and districts are unique to LA, in our area there's Downtown Brooklyn, Downtown Newsrk, Stamford, White Plains, Jersey City, Hoboken, for starters and I'm willing to bet they can all compete and surpass the other districts of the LA area.

You're only similarity with Tokyo are the mountains but I guess that makes LA more like Seattle too? Shinjuku (Tokyo's core) is significantly more in line with Manhattan than anything in LA.
Stamford? White Plains? Please. I'm surprised you didn't throw downtown Queens in there, if it exists. I love it when you guys pull the "we're multi-node too" card. Who are you kidding? Manhattan sucks up virtually all of the energy in the tri-state area, economically and culturally.

As for Tokyo, it's obviously much bigger than L.A., bigger than any city in NA really, but it's a more decentralized model, as is Los Angeles. Of course there are obvious differences (L.A. was built more car-friendly), but if L.A. is to take its cues from anywhere with regards to its future transit, it would be a megaregion like Tokyo. That's the point I think nslander was making. New York has trains that are jam-packed going one way during the day, and empty going the other at the same time. That would never happen here, or Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
I can see why you named yourself nslander now, because of the way you're slandering and butchering up Tokyo's reputation.

LA is nothing like Tokyo, a third of the size and density of the Tokyo region. Have you ever been to Tokyo? It blows LA away in size and scale, it blows everything on this side of the world away, Mexico City and NYC included. You Angelenos think this multiple centers and districts are unique to LA, in our area there's Downtown Brooklyn, Downtown Newark, Stamford, Long Island City, White Plains, Jersey City, Hoboken, for starters and I'm willing to bet they can all compete and surpass the other districts of the LA area.

You're only similarity with Tokyo are the mountains but I guess that makes LA more like Seattle too? Shinjuku (Tokyo's core) is significantly more in line with Manhattan than anything in LA.
I don't think LA has much in common with Tokyo either, but

I think the point is LA is not "Manhattanizing", because that is a stupid term in the first place. LA is gentrifying, plain and simple. Building more high-rises is not Manhattanizing, especially when they are spread throughout multiple centers within city limits, and your city has the third most high-rises in the country already.

NYC definitely has multiple business centers throughout the metro (like a true megacity should) but is too centered around Manhattan to truly be "polynodal" especially in the way Los Angeles is.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Chandler,

There's no such thing as "downtown Queens" the district is called Long Island City and I did include it. NYC is both a core based and "multimodal" area. Tokyo is the same way, Shinjuku is their version of Midtown Manhattan and the vibrancy in an area like Ome Kaido corridor much more closely resembles Midtown than anything in LA.

You need to take a ride on PATH instead of the MTA lines into Manhattan then, the trains to New Jersey are crammed both ways.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
munchitup,

Yes you're right NYC is much more core centric than polynodal but just like Tokyo, the center of energy is in the core. Tokyo is Shinjuku and NYC is Manhattan. LA still lacks areas like Midtown, Lower, and Shinjuku that both NYC and Tokyo have.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Chandler,

There's no such thing as "downtown Queens" the district is called Long Island City and I did include it. NYC is both a core based and "multimodal" area. Tokyo is the same way, Shinjuku is their version of Midtown Manhattan and the vibrancy in an area like Ome Kaido corridor much more closely resembles Midtown than anything in LA.

You need to take a ride on PATH instead of the MTA lines into Manhattan then, the trains to New Jersey are crammed both ways.
I bet in NY the trains are pretty full going in all directions. Other cities in the US that are built on the spoke and hub model and have transit systems that mirror that model tend to have significantly less people on board going against traffic.

LA has sort of a hybrid of a grid system and the spoke and hub, as downtown is the center but there is also a grid - the South LA portion will be almost full formed when the Crenshaw Corridor is finish in a couple years.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
LA has absolutely nothing in common with Tokyo. This reminds me of another poster who said that LA's model was Paris. Right.

It's true that Tokyo has multiple hubs. But all these hubs - at least the busiest ones (e.g. Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Ginza, etc). - are in the central core within the Yamanote rail line (their circle line). That central core is essentially their Manhattan and though it is larger (and not as consistently dense) it represents a tiny fraction of the Tokyo urban area. Within that core there is heavy transit traffic in all directions but if you zoom out to look at the entire urban area the traffic is very much one way from the outlying area into the central core much like in NYC, London, Paris and all other major global cities. All these cities have a hyperactive central urban core (with some minor variations) that represents your so disliked "all roads lead here" paradigm.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
LA has absolutely nothing in common with Tokyo. This reminds me of another poster who said that LA's model was Paris. Right.

It's true that Tokyo has multiple hubs. But all these hubs - at least the busiest ones (e.g. Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Ginza, etc). - are in the central core within the Yamanote rail line (their circle line). That central core is essentially their Manhattan and though it is larger (and not as consistently dense) it represents a tiny fraction of the Tokyo urban area. Within that core there is heavy transit traffic in all directions but if you zoom out to look at the entire urban area the traffic is very much one way from the outlying area into the central core much like in NYC, London, Paris and all other major global cities. All these cities have a hyperactive central urban core (with some minor variations) that represents your so disliked "all roads lead here" paradigm.
Human Transit: how paris is like los angeles (via new york)

Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

How much larger?

Because the largest concentration of L.A.'s "hubs" are located in the Central and Westside regions of the Los Angeles Basin. Downtown L.A., Hollywood, Century City, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and all along Wilshire Boulevard--they're located in this area. Again, this isn't to say L.A. is similar to those cities, only that it would be better served following the template of a city like Tokyo as far as its public transit.

And when I speak of "all roads leading here" I'm talking about a tiny area like Midtown Manhattan, which is roughly 4 sq miles and completely dominates the entire region. Tokyo, London, and Paris do not have a tiny area like this that sucks up all the energy. Again, who are you kidding?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
IMO, LA really isn't modeled after anything but itself. The city started to building out in a time where the mentality was "urbanize the countryside, ruralize the city"

LA is it's own thing. Not saying the city can't look elsewhere for solutions (obviously there's no one size fits all solutions) but to fully grasp how LA really is, one has to recognize its uniqueness amongst the pantheon of modern mega cities.

However, even though LA is decentralized, I'd argue that south of the Santa Monica mountains, north of I-10, east of the Pacific Ocean, and west of I-710 acts pretty much as the LA area's core. A disproportionate amount of the business, entertainment, etc. events happen in this area.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
IMO, LA really isn't modeled after anything but itself. The city started to building out in a time where the mentality was "urbanize the countryside, ruralize the city"

LA is it's own thing. Not saying the city can't look elsewhere for solutions (obviously there's no one size fits all solutions) but to fully grasp how LA really is, one has to recognize its uniqueness amongst the pantheon of modern mega cities.

However, even though LA is decentralized, I'd argue that south of the Santa Monica mountains, north of I-10, east of the Pacific Ocean, and west of I-710 acts pretty much as the LA area's core. A disproportionate amount of the business, entertainment, etc. events happen in this area.
Agreed. The above statement was this guy from USC's thesis. It was posted online, and after reading it I have to agree with this logic. It's not the first time I've posted it, but here it is: http://spatial.usc.edu/wp-content/up...esis_Final.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City