Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM

425 posts, read 371,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Living in Chicago I never "wonder" about LA. I embrace my solid Midwestern town and my solid Midwestern roots. I don't have time in my lovely frenetic enough world to concern myself with things that are so unimportant. But it's lovely you like your community so much.

Exactly.

Nobody "wonders" about LA unless youre maybe an aspiring actor?

We dont "wonder" about LA urban life in the East (including Midwest) whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,690 times
You know usually I would argue that most people in NYC barely know of Chicago's existence because NYC just seems like that type of place but when I walked around all over Manhattan the word "Chicago" was everywhere. On buses, walls, and those time zone clocks from around the world had Chicago everywhere. They have a lot of those clocks all over Manhattan. People walking by obviously see the word Chicago and think of the city, just like they would when they see Tokyo, London, and Hong Kong all over NYC. The most frequent cities that I saw come up in Manhattan were Chicago, LA, Dallas (BBQ related only), and DC.

What's with the advertisements for Dalian and Shanghai on the Toshiba display boards in Times Square? I stayed on the 39th floor of the JW Marquis and my room faced the monitors, I couldn't get any sleep sometimes but every 5 minutes they would advertise a Chinese city like Dalian and Shanghai, show its scenery, culture, city. NYC is a much different place than what I remember from years ago.

New Yorkers are lying if they say they haven't heard of Chicago before. The two cities have one of the strongest bonds in America. This is a very big deal to New Yorkers too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_(musical)

Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Exactly.

We dont "wonder" about LA urban life in the East (including Midwest) whatsoever.
Yup .... Kinda ridiculous really. ... It's not fair to compare the cities east of the Mississippi with those new cities to the west. They all have pros and cons but regionally are so vastly different. This countries pace is rapid in New York and consistently slows as you move west. I'm not assuming any area is superior just so so different

Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Exactly.

True, the incessant and uninformed bloviating of a few EC folks on this site really doesn't qualify as "wondering".

Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LA 291
DC 232
NYC 164
Chicago 126
San Francisco 78

Want to guess what these numbers represent?

The number of MLB games each city leads the Astros?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Agreed. The above statement was this guy from USC's thesis. It was posted online, and after reading it I have to agree with this logic. It's not the first time I've posted it, but here it is: http://spatial.usc.edu/wp-content/up...esis_Final.pdf
Why do I get the impression that the author of this thesis used City Data at least once to get ideas? I hope the guy got published and fulfilled his degree requirement.

Wow, so what we discuss can have a real world implication

I still feel that the area is still a bit disjointed to be considered a center as a whole, but its becoming more and more closely connected every year. In terms of infrastructure, the Expo Line does help, and once it and the Purple Line are extended to Santa Monica, it will become officially integrated.

There really is a stark divide between things east of San Vicente and west of it. Hell, even the addresses suddenly change (it goes from the 6000 block to the 8000 block in an instant).

I wanna say he took my idea (I have posted on this before a few years ago), but if anyone has been to the area, it is sort of obvious.

I don't agree with some of the LA boosters on this site that LA should aspire to be NYC or become an NYC clone for the West Coast. Two different places, two different histories, two different cultures, etc. LA should really find its own way, though in terms of economic diversification, Chicago is a good place to start IMO (both LA and CHI lost a LOT of manufacturing over the years, and the former is still sort of finding its way through it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
*Lastros

Man, I know this is off topic, but I can't believe we got swept by the Giants. Again. What a world we live in.

Here's to hoping Adrian Gonzalez makes a difference!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Most interconnected US cities

NYC -> Miami/Miami -> NYC 8,748,534
LA -> San Francisco/San Francisco -> LA 6,306,638
Atlanta -> Miami/Miami -> Atlanta 5,045,415
NYC -> Chicago/Chicago -> NYC 4,705,007
NYC -> Atlanta/Atlanta -> NYC 4,544,176
NYC -> LA/LA -> NYC 4,355,755
NYC -> Orlando/Orlando -> NYC 4,032,427
NYC -> London/London -> NYC 3,881,558
LA -> Las Vegas/Las Vegas -> LA 3,733,037
LA -> Phoenix/Phoenix -> LA 3,434,874

World's busiest passenger air routes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi LA, our big brothers to the south.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Quote:
True, the incessant and uninformed bloviating of a few EC folks on this site really doesn't qualify as "wondering".
2 comments is not incessant and "uninformed bloviating". Come on now. Nice choice of words; however bloviate means inflated. I simply stated I did not care about anyone else's opinion of my home. - no way inflated. But I like that you tried.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Number of posts each of the 5 cities have been mentioned this thread. Good news for DC folks, they have big mouths, for their size they're leading by per capita LOL

#hilarious

Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Man, I know this is off topic, but I can't believe we got swept by the Giants.
Giants!

#GoGiantsWinthisthing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City