Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The ultimate in pathetic-- proclaiming victory on an anonymous Internet message board. You da man, captive lifestyle guy!

At least you left poor Donald Shoup out of it this time.
It puts the lotion on its skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
The whole post was pretty much YOUR opinion. And you shoving YOUR opinion down someone else isn't going to do anything.
Did I really do this?
Quote:
If someone likes something for what it is, there's nothing right or wrong about that.
Listen I can respect someone liking something more than another but they need to have logical reasons. You and I both know for a fact that LA is the more important city between it and Chicago, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be considering its double the population, and slightly less than double the GDP, and a bigger powerhouse on on the world platform.

Liking Chicago more doesn't make it more important. So then tell me why people like that BigLake fella consistently makes it his mission to make sure Angelenos feel like they're living in a much less important city than Chicago? People like that are the same ones that jump up and down when someone says DC and the Bay are more important places than Chicago. Folks should have the same standard for their towns as they do for other places.

Make sense compadre? You're a smart guy... you can figure this out.
Quote:
Sure certain points can be proven with facts like raw data, but the majority of liking and disliking things are just all opinionated. So if the majority likes something, they aren't wrong, they just like it that way and you like it some other way.
I don't disagree with this.
Quote:
As far as all your personal stuff goes, that's just wrong to do. I don't know why people get so personal on this board. There's a bunch of trolls on here that I call out from time to time, but there's really no reason to get into someones personal life over some debate over cities on the internet. That's a joke.
Listen, its just an observation of mine that easterners become more personal quick especially when the window of making an argument is closing for them. I've said this a million times before and an advanced search with my forum name will show you I've said this at the very least 90 times. I don't take the personal things to heart or seriously, I really don't care but I point it out when it starts becoming more about me than the topic so we can get back to work on the topic.

Make sense?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
If you were going to accuse Los Angeles of lazily re-modeling itself on another city, you’d logically go with “Tokyo-ization”. That is, unless you were so insecure in your relationship to your own burg you pretend none others exist.

Mass transit is coming to this younger city as we speak. Manhattan will always be a flat rock.
Flat Rock. Good one. Yes let's ignore why the island is called Manhattan in the first place. It's Dutch name was Manahatta which means island of many hills. It's not my fault that you've never been to the north on the island where hills are plentiful.

LA is nothing like Tokyo. What planet do you live on?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Flat Rock. Good one. Yes let's ignore why the island is called Manhattan in the first place. It's Dutch name was Manahatta which means island of many hills. It's not my fault that you've never been to the north on the island where hills are plentiful.

LA is nothing like Tokyo. What planet do you live on?

No physical similarities at all. Other than dense sprawl, multiple centers and districts located primarily in a large flat basin by the ocean and surrounded by mountains.

So how many sherpas do you need to scale the 265 feet rise of Washington Heights?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
LA is more urban than DC IMO

Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
What a pair of clown shoes you are...
lol true. You really don't need a car in downtown L.A. and Hollywood. That needs to expand to the rest of the city though.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,935 times
Here's the thing. I'll break it up to both sides:

To Angelinos:

We live in a great city. Yes city, not suburb. Suburban look but city feel, but urbanly challenged in many places.

Lets face the music, L.A. is flawed. L.A. from the 30's was further ahead than L.A. today. They basically took the work of engineers and workers who spent so many years on the street car system, and completely destroyed it. Thus it FORCED this whole car dependency on everyone. Just so auto companies can make extra bucks.

Tell me that isn't wrong or corrupt?

Anyway, we are in the process of cleaning up the sins of past. LA is slowly but surely heading towards (here comes the dreaded word) "Manhattanization". Yes it's a scary word to the average nimby.

But that word has different meanings.

NO, we aren't going for tall buildings. We are going for a more dense LA, minus strip malls, questionably wide blvds, and more public transit. We want people to see riding the metro, not as a poor man's option but an option for every angelino to want to have. We can stick a middle finger to the New Yorkers (no offence NY'ers) when we get to that point. However, don't get mad when someone who's lived in another city tell you how certain things can work better. Because so far, it's worked for new yorkers alot better than it's worked for us to get around our city. For most of us, we have to deal with traffic, and it will only get worse. Any widened freeway is nothing more than a mickey mouse job. A temporary fix to a long ignored problem. It's like hoarders, just sweep everything under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist.
The whole suburb mentality did this. We thought we needed "our own castle with an acre of land and patch of grass"(or something like that). We don't. Imagine how much water we can save if the only grass we need to water is in the back? Or even at all(you know us latinos fill everything in with concrete anyway ). Overall, there is some sacrifices to be made, but if we let go of all these vanities we will live better.

And skyscrapers are just a bonus, I know RaymondChandler loves that .

To none angelinos:

I agree with you on many things. You guys are right, L.A. does have alot of catching up to do. It was pictured as the city of the future because of the automobile. But we decided to skip crawling and jumped to running. Big mistake. Who'da thought that the freeways would become a congested nightmare? Or that people actually needed public transportation? Or that endless sprawl would make it a pain in the ass to go anywhere?

other than that, I do disagree with other negative attitudes towards L.A.

Yeah, we have alot of single family homes(I hate it too, a city full of suburbs.. Really?). But the strange thing is that, other than the valley or the hills, most of them feel urban. You walk around my neighborhood and you see a home, one after another, mixed with apartments, stores and down the street from my house is a bunch of warehouses and a train passing by. Now, I know it doesnt pass for urban, but this thread is about the city feel. I see graffiti, hear sirens, cars, honking, etc. Not to mention most SFHs have multiple sections which means more than one family in one property. It's like high rise apartments but cut into sections and each section layed one after another.

Now as for more dense spots with less SFHs, we look at spots like downtown, koreatown, hollywood, and many parts of the west side. Downtown, unlike someone foolosihly said, is a place that can be lived in WITHOUT a car. Including Hollywood. I see it every time I go to these places. Koreatown is he same way. I drive at night, I see people walking, bars open, lit up signs next to said bars. I turn onto wilshire and see a canyon of high rises. You see a DJ on the front of one of the buildings and people hanging out in front(where all those street lamps packed together are).

These are the spots that the rest L.A. can learn from. Other than that, L.A. being a giant suburb is a big misconception. It's got a suburban look in alot of areas, but the density of a city. But they aren't truely urban.

Overall.. Los Angeles is a M*F*n' Platypus..

Last edited by Chicano3000X; 08-23-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How can the urbanity "drop off" leaving from Downtown LA? It never starts in the first place.
Ok! You simply don't know dt Los Angeles! Again, proof that you and a few others have never been, especially with an answer like that.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times
Don't you guys realize that a huge chunk of the posters here really aren't that interested in having an informed discussion or even try to learn anything new about a place they don't live in. Why even bother with some posters if they aren't even interested in discussing?

No, it has transcended that and has become about arguing for the sake of arguing. For some, it has become about their personal ego and always having the need to put in the last word.

I hope most of you guys don't talk to people like that in real life, or really consider not visiting a place because of whatever perceptions you may have about the "mindset" or "people" of a city or metro area full of millions of people.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
No physical similarities at all. Other than dense sprawl, multiple centers and districts located primarily in a large flat basin by the ocean and surrounded by mountains.

So how many sherpas do you need to scale the 265 feet rise of Washington Heights?
I can see why you named yourself nslander now, because of the way you're slandering and butchering up Tokyo's reputation.

LA is nothing like Tokyo, a third of the size and density of the Tokyo region. Have you ever been to Tokyo? It blows LA away in size and scale, it blows everything on this side of the world away, Mexico City and NYC included. You Angelenos think this multiple centers and districts are unique to LA, in our area there's Downtown Brooklyn, Downtown Newark, Stamford, Long Island City, White Plains, Jersey City, Hoboken, for starters and I'm willing to bet they can all compete and surpass the other districts of the LA area.

You're only similarity with Tokyo are the mountains but I guess that makes LA more like Seattle too? Shinjuku (Tokyo's core) is significantly more in line with Manhattan than anything in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City