Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
What do you mean, one article? The city of Chicago's total homicides are comparable to the whole of Los Angeles County (9.8 million people). Again, this has been well-documented.
Eh, you might as well compare the homicide rates for Chicago's MSA to LA County for a more accurate comparison. I'll bet they are very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Glendale is 59% multi-unit housing. It is too big and dense for Coral Gables to compare in either category.
Coral Gables is 66% single family detached housing.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
The one thing that i feel is that LA is very underrated in urbanism. You can't tell me you can walk down wilshire or western or various parts of hollywood, pico union, chinatown and you dont get the big city feel.

You see graffiti, hear sirens, construction, you see different people of different races walking around and as a bonus the old homeless guy walking down the street having a heated argument with the voice in his head.

But I'm also not in denial that L.A. could use a reboot.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Well, if the past 30+(?) pages of "conversation" are any indication of what a "big city mindset" is, I think any casual observer would come to the conclusion that the particular mentality of a "big city" is predicated on how much yapping like a little dog can be done about said city, while simultaneously degrading and belittling any other city that dares try to position itself alongside the "big city".

But what do I know? I'm barely literate.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
"Well, I'm from Cali so..." to make other people sound inferior because Cali is some paradise that everyone wishes they were living in.
The hatred for California is out of pure envy. Really California leaves very few things to dislike about it. I can understand not liking a place because the people rubbed you the wrong way, that's fine but the ridiculousness on this forum is even more pathetic. You have people back east that refuse to acknowledge the transit system in the bay even though its one of the most extensive in the country, because it has a few less people riding it, they pretend like we don't even have transit at all. The hatred for LA, and this odd NYC booster squads OBSESSION with LA is out of control, you will be cornered to find Angelenos entering threads about NYC with strong opinions. Oddly after visiting NYC, this carries on even in real life, New Yorkers are just fascinated with the place, its an enigma to them and I can tell most of them see it as a potential place they would live.

Your city Houston is another subject of obsession on this forum, seems like a few folk from the east being most obsessed with it. Your other city Chicago on the other hand is given the free pass over LA in all beings, its ridiculous. At this point LA has far outgrown Chicago in every way save downtown, and that's it. Chicagoans hate being put down below their 3rd place rank to DC and the bay but in turn do the exact same things to LA. What goes around comes around. Chicago is 3rd, that's it. Not 2nd, not 1st, not 4th, not 5th. 3rd. Accept your place and move on, people like BigLake insist on overlooking LA as a wasteland that offers nothing important, influential, powerful, when we both know its surpassed Chicago at nearly everything save that Finance. If you want to talk about Chicago's 2nd qualities, finance, transit, downtown, and maybe the core urban areas but that's it. Beyond that it's 3rd.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-23-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think I agreed with you that Hollywood looks like CG, I think you just wore me down to agree with you on some point. I can't remember what I agreed with, but looking at the two areas I don't see much in common. Even the most urban-looking parts of Coral Gables (right around Ponce De Leon and Coral Way) look more like a smaller, less-dense Santa Monica than Hollywood.
I never said that "Hollywood looks like CG" but I did say that once you are away from the main commercial streets in Hollywood much of the streetscape is reminiscent of parts of CG. And you ultimately agreed. Do I need to pull up the quote?

The analogy to SM may be appropriate as well, but that wasnt the discussion.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
The hatred for California is out of pure envy. Really California leaves very few things to dislike about it. I can understand not liking a place because the people rubbed you the wrong way, that's fine but the ridiculousness on this forum is even more pathetic. You have people back east that refuse to acknowledge the transit system in the bay even though its one of the most extensive in the country, because it has a few less people riding it, they pretend like we don't even have transit at all. The hatred for LA, and this odd NYC booster squads OBSESSION with LA is out of control, you will be cornered to find Angelenos entering threads about NYC with strong opinions. Oddly after visiting NYC, this carries on even in real life, New Yorkers are just fascinated with the place, its an enigma to them and I can tell most of them see it as a potential place they would live.
All you have to do for proof of that is read a NY Times article about Los Angeles. They definitely view LA as an enigma, with some sort of fascinated curiosity.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I never said that "Hollywood looks like CG" but I did say that once you are away from the main commercial streets in Hollywood much of the streetscape is reminiscent of parts of CG. And you ultimately agreed. Do I need to pull up the quote?

The analogy to SM may be appropriate as well, but that wasnt the discussion.
Maybe but I think where Hollywood (and LA as a whole) pulls away from other cities is in the residential department. Most everyones biggest gripes about LA's urbanity is the retail, and more specifically, the corner retail that always has a knack for being turned inside out (i.e. strip mall) in LA.

IMO The only places in Hollywood that resemble Coral Gables residentially is generally the area immediately east of Fairfax along the first three blocks of Fountain, Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. and maybe a block here and there that is still mainly detached SFHs.

santa monica, ca - Google Maps

coral gables, fl - Google Maps

These are at the same scale, and one has a lot more apartments than the other. With Coral Gables it is pretty easy to pick out the center, with Hollywood it is a more difficult task IMO (you can see the little area of SFH I was talking about in the upper left hand corner).

In another thread, people were asked to compare Hollywood to other places. The one place in the Miami area I found they seem the most similar is Little Havana. http://goo.gl/maps/yRPN0

Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
^^

Ya, those strip malls gotta go. Ironically parking in them is a nightmare.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
^^

Ya, those strip malls gotta go. Ironically parking in them is a nightmare.
^^I know right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City