Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Most of the houses in LA are apartments.

But yeah, LA doesn't look like East Coast cities. Oh well.

It's funny, I have a friend who lives on this street in Brentwood I believe (I work nearby too), and it looks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1500+...ie=UTF-8&hl=en

Lots and lots of massive apartment buildings all over the place. Very few houses with yards in the front AND back. This is a good 15 miles away from downtown Los Angeles, mind you. 15 miles.

But.....the apartments buildings aren't touching. That's make or break around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
The question with those videos begs the question.... Where are the pedestrians???

Fast forward the last video to about 30 seconds. There are few places in the LA metro with that much open space.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
If I ever become an architect I'm gonna make a neighborhood with rowhouses and see how that works out.. It would be interesting..
We already went through an exercise similar to this. London, on a whole, is not a super dense city. Even when accounting for public spaces and non-residential institutions, its densest 3 square miles was about 41K ppsm, which is lower than Koreatown's.

This neighborhood obviously has a far lower density than Chelsea's 33K ppsm.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ashmor...12,161.85,,0,0

What a difference design makes, eh?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:07 PM

What part of the NE is London, England in?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We already went through an exercise similar to this. London, on a whole, is not a super dense city. Even when accounting for public spaces and non-residential institutions, its densest 3 square miles was about 41K ppsm, which is lower than Koreatown's.

This neighborhood obviously has a far lower density than Chelsea's 33K ppsm.

Ashmore Road, London, United Kingdom - Google Maps

What a difference design makes, eh?
Now that's urban!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This reminds me of another genius who thought Hollywood looked like Coral Gables, FL. You're on some good crack out East.
Of course it does -- in parts. Even munchitup, after some kicking and screaming, agreed with me.

Anyways, wtf would you know about Coral Gables? Aren't you the braniac who called it a "beach community" a few months ago? Lol... Stick to your density figures.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times
Quote:
Get over it. Few, if any, cities are bashed like L.A. is on these forums. Chicago is one of "America's Sweethearts" around here, the apple in everyone's eye. Me pointing out that it has major issues with crime isn't hating, it's reality.
This isn't true at all. Not sure where the hell you're getting that from.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Coral Gables doesn't look anything like Hollywood. It's looks like a moderately dense neighborhood in Orange County.

And yeah, I will stick to my density figures. Facts are good. I know they bother those who think attached housing are all that makes a place urban, but oh well.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
This isn't true at all. Not sure where the hell you're getting that from.
What part isn't true? That Chicago is America's Sweetheart, or its crime issues? They've been pretty well-documented:

As Homicide Rate Soars on Chicago's South Side, Community Steps Up to Halt Crime | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 1, 2012 | PBS

Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times
Quote:
What part isn't true? That Chicago is America's Sweetheart, or its crime issues? They've been pretty well-documented:

As Homicide Rate Soars on Chicago's South Side, Community Steps Up to Halt Crime | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 1, 2012 | PBS
Because of one article?

And you said "around here" - You should visit this forum more often if you think Chicago isn't bashed. I think a lot of LA's hate on this forum comes from all the arrogant and ignorant posters from LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City