Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
That's where we differ on what is urban versus suburban. To me, the built environs of a Shepard Park and how it functions in the city is not suburban. I have seen serene areas of Queens but I would not call it suburban like stretches of Rockville Pike. But I do understand what you are saying.
Shepherd Park doesn't function quite like a suburb because it's only a few miles from downtown and people do ride transit there. But it's more spread out and I can tell you that the car ownership (and usage) rates are much higher there than in other parts of the city. So in that sense, it is "suburban." Nobody in Shepherd Park is walking out of their door, hitting the street, grabbing a pizza, and then coming back home. It doesn't function like that. There are not many pedestrians around because it's more of a driving area. I would say the same thing about Brookland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That is where I have to disagree... how could it? LA's suburbs are more dense than the suburbs on the East Coast (or anywhere else in the US save Bay Area), and most everyone that lives in the LA area can see quite a difference between Lakewood and Hollywood. I just have a hard time seeing the similarities, other than on a very superficial level.
Once again, I am talking about LA's aesthetics. The look and feel of the place without the people. I know LA is dense but the built environs look like east coast suburbs.

Looks like LA to me!

Views from North Bethesda Market - Tallest Building in Montgomery County, MD - YouTube

Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
This reminds me of another genius who thought Hollywood looked like Coral Gables, FL. You're on some good crack out East.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
LA's different neighborhoods.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7251/6...6260a7f3_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3012/2...1e9_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8437/7...9fa95491_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4073/4...35d3a83e_z.jpg

Lacking in built form? NO
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6...65e30579_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6054/6...0be64741_z.jpg

Aerial BUILT FORM and PEDESTRIAN
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2580/4...d62789013e.jpg

Even more pedestrians under the tree covers.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Once again, I am talking about LA's aesthetics. The look and feel of the place without the people. I know LA is dense but the built environs look like east coast suburbs.

Looks like LA to me!

Views from North Bethesda Market - Tallest Building in Montgomery County, MD - YouTube
The point is not these TOD (which are admittedly pretty impressive, no knock on them) but the areas immediately around them is extremely low-density and what people would call a "leafy suburb". Bethesda looks like a more transit-oriented version of Downtown Glendale - the biggest difference is outside of that mini-CBD suddenly you are in tranquil residential neighborhoods: silver spring, md - Google Maps .

Outside of Glendale there is no change in the grid, and you still have these high density tracts (many around 20k in Glendale): glendale, ca - Google Maps (most unflattering I could find): glendale, ca - Google Maps
What you can't tell is there are a lot of apartments mixed in there. So it does have a suburban appearance with SFH and apartments.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
The point is not these TOD (which are admittedly pretty impressive, no knock on them) but the areas immediately around them is extremely low-density and what people would call a "leafy suburb". Bethesda looks like a more transit-oriented version of Downtown Glendale - the biggest difference is outside of that mini-CBD suddenly you are in tranquil residential neighborhoods: silver spring, md - Google Maps (which makes sense as that is what the buyers are looking for). Outside of Glendale there is no change in the grid, and you still have these high density tracts (many around 20k in Glendale): glendale, ca - Google Maps (most unflattering I could find): glendale, ca - Google Maps

If someone else mentions density...... I am talking about the built environment. Not the people. When people from back east see LA for the first time in the air, they marvel at its vastness, which seems to go on forever. However, stepping off of the plane and riding into DT is another story. The built environment looks very similar to the built environment of east coast cities suburbs. Most cities dont have 6 lane boulevards like Wilshire. East coast cities are much more compact. LA is not. East coast cities have rowhouses. LA doesn't. Most of the houses in LA have front yards and back yards. Most of the houses in LA are not connected. LA also has telephone poles close to it's DT area. Most of the telephone lines in east coast cities are not in the DT core areas. They bury them. LA has huge freeways that run through the city from all directions. East coast cities don't.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
If someone else mentions density...... I am talking about the built environment. Not the people. When people from back east see LA for the first time in the air, they marvel at its vastness, which seems to go on forever. However, stepping off of the plane and riding into DT is another story. The built environment looks very similar to the built environment of east coast cities suburbs. Most cities dont have 6 lane boulevards like Wilshire. East coast cities are much more compact. LA is not. East coast cities have rowhouses. LA doesn't. Most of the houses in LA have front yards and back yards. Most of the houses in LA are not connected. LA also has telephone poles close to it's DT area. Most of the telephone lines in east coast cities are not in the DT core areas. They bury them. LA has huge freeways that run through the city from all directions. East coast cities don't.
Most of the houses in LA are apartments.

But yeah, LA doesn't look like East Coast cities. Oh well.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
The point is not these TOD (which are admittedly pretty impressive, no knock on them) but the areas immediately around them is extremely low-density and what people would call a "leafy suburb". Bethesda looks like a more transit-oriented version of Downtown Glendale - the biggest difference is outside of that mini-CBD suddenly you are in tranquil residential neighborhoods: silver spring, md - Google Maps .

Outside of Glendale there is no change in the grid, and you still have these high density tracts (many around 20k in Glendale): glendale, ca - Google Maps (most unflattering I could find): glendale, ca - Google Maps
What you can't tell is there are a lot of apartments mixed in there. So it does have a suburban appearance with SFH and apartments.

Glendale was the first city that came to mind when I saw those clips. No way does Bethesda (density: 4,200 ppsm) touch its development.

https://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc63825.php

That's what Glendale looks like all around Colorado Blvd, heading south to Atwater Village.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
But yeah, LA doesn't look like East Coast cities. Oh well.
It doesn't function like them either. And that's really more important than its appearance.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
If I ever become an architect I'm gonna make a neighborhood with rowhouses and see how that works out.. It would be interesting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City