Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM
S90

21 posts, read 39,718 times

Advertisements

The people calling Washington DC a suburb are going too far overboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Giants!

#GoGiantsWinthisthing
I was at the game sitting first level. First time I ever sat there. But damn, wtf happened? Last few games, one of them had the Dodgers doing 3 homeruns in a row.. WTF Dodgers?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I was at the game sitting first level. First time I ever sat there. But damn, wtf happened? Last few games, one of them had the Dodgers doing 3 homeruns in a row.. WTF Dodgers?
Dodgers have an inconsistent offense. That's why they're making moves for Adrian Gonzalez, but who knows what could happen there.

I have a feeling Kemp and Ethier are playing injured and aren't telling anyone. Kemp has NEVER slumped for this long.

At least they're beating Miami for right now. Doesn't really help if Atlanta doesn't win against the Giants though.

Don't worry, we'll get them back

Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
2 comments is not incessant and "uninformed bloviating". Come on now. Nice choice of words; however bloviate means inflated. I simply stated I did not care about anyone else's opinion of my home. - no way inflated. But I like that you tried.
For the record, my blather was not directed towards you. your argument was well taken.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Hate to quote myself but I used all 3 of my brain cells to type this. Hardly anyone read it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Here's the thing. I'll break it up to both sides:

To Angelinos:

We live in a great city. Yes city, not suburb. Suburban look but city feel, but urbanly challenged in many places.

Lets face the music, L.A. is flawed. L.A. from the 30's was further ahead than L.A. today. They basically took the work of engineers and workers who spent so many years on the street car system, and completely destroyed it. Thus it FORCED this whole car dependency on everyone. Just so auto companies can make extra bucks.

Tell me that isn't wrong or corrupt?

Anyway, we are in the process of cleaning up the sins of past. LA is slowly but surely heading towards (here comes the dreaded word) "Manhattanization". Yes it's a scary word to the average nimby.

But that word has different meanings.

NO, we aren't going for tall buildings. We are going for a more dense LA, minus strip malls, questionably wide blvds, and more public transit. We want people to see riding the metro, not as a poor man's option but an option for every angelino to want to have. We can stick a middle finger to the New Yorkers (no offence NY'ers) when we get to that point. However, don't get mad when someone who's lived in another city tell you how certain things can work better. Because so far, it's worked for new yorkers alot better than it's worked for us to get around our city. For most of us, we have to deal with traffic, and it will only get worse. Any widened freeway is nothing more than a mickey mouse job. A temporary fix to a long ignored problem. It's like hoarders, just sweep everything under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist.
The whole suburb mentality did this. We thought we needed "our own castle with an acre of land and patch of grass"(or something like that). We don't. Imagine how much water we can save if the only grass we need to water is in the back? Or even at all(you know us latinos fill everything in with concrete anyway ). Overall, there is some sacrifices to be made, but if we let go of all these vanities we will live better.

And skyscrapers are just a bonus, I know RaymondChandler loves that .

To none angelinos:

I agree with you on many things. You guys are right, L.A. does have alot of catching up to do. It was pictured as the city of the future because of the automobile. But we decided to skip crawling and jumped to running. Big mistake. Who'da thought that the freeways would become a congested nightmare? Or that people actually needed public transportation? Or that endless sprawl would make it a pain in the ass to go anywhere?

other than that, I do disagree with other negative attitudes towards L.A.

Yeah, we have alot of single family homes(I hate it too, a city full of suburbs.. Really?). But the strange thing is that, other than the valley or the hills, most of them feel urban. You walk around my neighborhood and you see a home, one after another, mixed with apartments, stores and down the street from my house is a bunch of warehouses and a train passing by. Now, I know it doesnt pass for urban, but this thread is about the city feel. I see graffiti, hear sirens, cars, honking, etc. Not to mention most SFHs have multiple sections which means more than one family in one property. It's like high rise apartments but cut into sections and each section layed one after another.

Now as for more dense spots with less SFHs, we look at spots like downtown, koreatown, hollywood, and many parts of the west side. Downtown, unlike someone foolosihly said, is a place that can be lived in WITHOUT a car. Including Hollywood. I see it every time I go to these places. Koreatown is he same way. I drive at night, I see people walking, bars open, lit up signs next to said bars. I turn onto wilshire and see a canyon of high rises. You see a DJ on the front of one of the buildings and people hanging out in front(where all those street lamps packed together are).

These are the spots that the rest L.A. can learn from. Other than that, L.A. being a giant suburb is a big misconception. It's got a suburban look in alot of areas, but the density of a city. But they aren't truely urban.

Overall.. Los Angeles is a M*F*n' Platypus..

Old 08-25-2012, 12:33 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
LA's built environment is like Northern Virginia's, endless sprawl of high rises, apartment complexes, strip malls, single family homes, etc....
Yes, I guess you're right. But what is it like? Springfield? Reston? Fairfax? Roslyn?

Pics courtesy of me!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Yes, I guess you're right. But what is it like? Springfield? Reston? Fairfax? Roslyn?

Pics courtesy of me!
Beast mode. Putting the haters to sleep early tonight, are we, pwright?

#builtformFTW

Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Pictures mean nothing, numbers mean nothing, experiences mean nothing, well informed studies mean nothing, apparently the people who live in LA know less about it than people who have never lived and I suspect have never stepped foot in California before in their lives.

Who are you people?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Midtown Manhattan is located between 34th and 59th streets. You can go as low as 23rd street if you want to be generous. Most of what people think of when they think of New York City is found in this area. Why deny it? Yes, downtown and Brooklyn have nice neighborhoods. Yes, there are other job centers. But the dominant one, without question is Midtown. Even if you say that the center of energy in NYC is everything south of 59th street, that's still only 10 sq miles.
I guess you are right. Few people think of Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Soho, Greenwich Village, the Met, Columbia & NYU, Chinatown, Little Italy, Williamsburg etc when they think of NY. You are a funny dude. You ever been to NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Btw fitzrovian, that area in Japan comes out to 37.8 sq miles. The area bordered by DTLA to the East, the Pacific Ocean to the West, Wilshire Boulevard to the South and the Hollywood Hills to the East is roughly 60 sq miles. Not only are largest concentration of jobs found in this area, most of what everyone thinks of when they think Southern California is found here too. If L.A. is to expand its transit, it should look to Tokyo as a guide.
Thanks for the math. I said "farthest points". The Yamanote Line forms a triangle so the actual area would be smaller. Anyway the issue is not so much size (the city of Paris is even larger) but density and function in relation to the rest of the metro area. The Yamanote loop probably has a population density of about 50,000 psm, over 4m jobs and 10m+ daily subway and rail riders in a metro area of 35m people with 60% public transit share. Not sure how that can serve as a useful blueprint for LA but we can all dream.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
Wow this thread has gotten insane. Do y'all have nothing better to do with your lives than just sit here and argue about some of the most stupid stuff? Talk about wasting your time. Glad I have a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City