Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerNation99 View Post
To the genius who called me a high school student I graduated high school 10 years ago graduated college and moved to LA in 2008. Clearly you're impressed with yourself and think your an intellectual but not intellectual enough to read properly. I didn't bother reading your post because it's irrelevant but let me ask you this if u could afford to live on three acres in the Palisades or three acres in Newton your telling me you would actually pick Newton? Honestly I think it shows different people like different things I like to golf,surf go to sports games hit the bars and clubs all year round and you seem like the type who bird watches and to the guy who now lives in Brazil I'm sure your dieing to leave Brazil and come back to Boston in the dead of January right ????
It's okay to like and prefer different things. Just because you like Los Angeles doesn't mean everyone else has to or will like it, too.

Last edited by theraven24; 06-27-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 14,309 times
Point taken I just want to point out the whole message was actually directed at the guy who wrote the second response to my original post I only mentioned the Brazil thing as a joke you were not the one who called me a high school student. I just thought saying no one should regard my opinion because I'm a high school student when I'm not was kindve a pompous thing to say and i just gave a blunt response back. You seem like a knowledgeable person about both areas and stated your opinion in a respectful way so I just wanted to apologize if u thought that was intended for you. Look truthfully I respect the industries and academia in Boston and despite my comments about weather what I hated about growing up was the whole M******* mentality which was prevalent in the area I grew up and I always found it extremely uninviting because my family is all from the west coast and the only reason I grew up there was my dad's job. Bottom line I love it out here and would encourage every young person if they can to at some point experience LA

Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
the whole M******* mentality which was prevalent in the area I grew up...
Where was this, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 PM

I grew up in Wakefield and Lynnfield which are nice areas but we were one of the few transplants and it was tough to break in to the social circles because most people had known each other there whole lives and weren't extremely interested in meeting new people

Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Wakefield and Lynnfield which are nice areas but we were one of the few transplants and it was tough to break in to the social circles because most people had known each other there whole lives and weren't extremely interested in meeting new people
What age did you move there? Again, just curious.

I can kind of empathize with you. While I have lived in the Boston area my whole life, I moved around a lot when I was young, and I definitely ran into a lot of the friends-since-birth types. What saved me, I think, was that eventually I ended up in the city where there were a lot of transplant/immigrant kids who were more open to making new friends. It also helped that I had a lot of family in the area.

It can definitely be hard for people traveling long distances too. I have a friend who had to relocate from Boston to Houston when he was in middle school because of his fathers job, and I think he experienced some similar problems.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 PM

I moved there when I was 8 and stayed till high school graduation. I just find in general here in LA the culture is more inclusive and open to new people in fact when I first moved to my first apartment in Manhattan beach out of college everyone who lived near me made a point to be welcoming and get to know me. Growing up I had a small group of like 5 friends but now as a 28 year old it amazes me the amount of friends I've made in the 6 years I've lived here. Somewhat of a different note the same can be said for my parents who moved from Lynnfield to Scottsdale Az

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
it amazes me the amount of friends I've made in the 6 years I've lived here. Somewhat of a different note the same can be said for my parents who moved from Lynnfield to Scottsdale Az
Well I'm glad that everything worked out!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Then you agree with me that your earlier statement (that NYC and LA are the "faces" of America) was absolutely ridiculous?
Not really. Those just constitute my personal interest.

Objectively I think it's pretty clear as daylight, New York and Los Angeles are just cities of a higher league than Beantown.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:29 PM

596 posts, read 820,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Not really. Those just constitute my personal interest.

Objectively I think it's pretty clear as daylight, New York and Los Angeles are just cities of a higher league than Beantown.
I can see how New York could be a city of a higher league than Chicago, but Los Angeles? How do you figure?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
I find ardent people of Northeastern cities, particularly Boston and NYC, to be obnoxious and cocky about how their cities are superior to all others in the U.S. Yeah, it's not all Bostonians that do this, but a large sum, perhaps majority does this. I've been to Boston, and it's a nice city, clean, big, and the airport is literally right next to downtown, but LA just seems to have more to offer. LA has warmer weather year round, has better restaurants (sorry Boston), is MUCH more diverse, and tends to have nicer people. Boston, has many people alike to those you'd find in New york. You know, the Nuuu Yoook type people who shout across the street, and personally, frankly, I just find that to be obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City