Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I was specifically talking about Massachusetts only, but that's awesome.
A lot of NH ski areas are closer to Boston than CA ski areas are to LA.

To answer the other question, I've done it. I skied Waterville Valley NH on 4/1 ($1 lift tickets on 4/1 and 2hrs from downtown Boston) and surfed in Westport the next day (in my 4/3 with hood, gloves and booties). Summer is usually the worst time of year to surf in MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

To answer the other question, I've done it. I skied Waterville Valley NH on 4/1 ($1 lift tickets on 4/1 and 2hrs from downtown Boston) and surfed in Westport the next day (in my 4/3 with hood, gloves and booties). Summer is usually the worst time of year to surf in MA.
That may be, but New Hampshire isn't part of the poll.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
It's still part of the city's accessibility...Boston's metro pushes into New Hampshire anyways.

Going from Boston to Portsmouth, NH is the same time as LA to Pomona.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
But in Boston you don't need to travel to experience nature/4seasons....

Nature in Boston, for better or worse, comes right to your doorstep.
Mostly for worse...

Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
But in LA you need to drive three hours if you want to see snow in the winter or fall foliage in autumn....

Or at least that's my understanding....
There is fall foliage within Los Angeles - Hancock Park has a large amount of deciduous trees that usually show colors in the fall. Of course it's not nearly as vibrant-looking as New England, this is a definite "win" for Boston.

However, to counter the fall foliage Boston could never support the insane color explosion that is the blooming of the jacarandas in LA: https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...nda-trees.html

Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Neither is Massachusetts. The poll is about cities, not states.

However, these discussions often get into amenities not actually in the city but close enough to be accessible. Part of the quality of life in a city does have to do with amenities you can enjoy within easy reach of the city. The mountains and lakes in NH are close enough to be accessible to Boston area residents, and that does not change just because you cross a state line to get there.

And, as Tmac points out, Boston's metro area includes part of NH.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Soemtimes, it's hard for people to understand the concept of small states.

I can be in Maine from my NJ home in 6 hours if I drive north. Someone from LA driving north for 6 hours would still be in CA. I'd cross through 4 states then I'd hit Maine, a 5th, while the person across the country would still be in the same state.

My point: Yes, access to NH counts as a plus for Boston, and access to any other state within reasonable distance.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Nature in Boston, for better or worse, comes right to your doorstep.
That's about the worst argument you could make in Boston's favor in this thread, considering there is a 1,800' mountain range that literally bisects LA's urban core.

Photo: Mine

We have a lot of nature within the city limits. Real nature. Like mountain lion, coyote, rattlesnake nature.

[vimeo]97726387[/vimeo]

Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
That's about the worst argument you could make in Boston's favor in this thread, considering there is a 1,800' mountain range that literally bisects LA's urban core.

Photo: Mine

We have a lot of nature within the city limits. Real nature. Like mountain lion, coyote, rattlesnake nature.

[vimeo]97726387[/vimeo]
Oh hell yes we do. I get so many rodents and well-fed fat Raccoons trying to eat my cat's food outside.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Oh hell yes we do. I get so many rodents and well-fed fat Raccoons trying to eat my cat's food outside.
Better than a coyote trying to eat your cat, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City