Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

That's sort of grasping at straws. Regardless, it's difficult to make a "winning" argument for your personal preference which is in the overwhelming majority. The weather of LA would be preferred by 90-95% of people. That's not to say your personal preference is incorrect, but you can't really debate weather...

Especially when there are several other areas where Boston has a distinct advantage over LA. You should focus on those instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I do disagree and I am also arguing.

Beaches and weather are the two things that people seem to ALWAYS give to LA, and I don't see how.

I never implied extremes are greater in Los Angeles. I pointed out first that Boston has nicer weather than LA this particular week, and then noted that LA doesn't have four seasons the same way Boston does.

Earthquakes aren't features of weather, they're natural disasters, which I associate with weather. My point there is that the worst natural occurences (to be politically correct) that could happen in LA are worse than those of Boston.
Money shot emboldened. By your own standards, milder weather is preferable.

It's good Boston has pleasant weather this week. Los Angeles simply enjoys it more often when Boston is otherwise, ahem, enjoying its Four Seasons. This is not subjective.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's sort of grasping at straws. Regardless, it's difficult to make a "winning" argument for your personal preference which is in the overwhelming majority. The weather of LA would be preferred by 90-95% of people. That's not to say your personal preference is incorrect, but you can't really debate weather...

Especially when there are several other areas where Boston has a distinct advantage over LA. You should focus on those instead.
Just watch me...

Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Just watch me...
haha I was actually talking to the Walrus. There's no point in debating weather extensively...doing so will probably kill the thread since it's the most pointless thing to argue about.

What are LA's main strengths economically outside of the entertainment industry? I feel this is an area where Boston has a distinct advantage over Los Angeles. Obviously in pure bulk LA wins, but Boston appears to be considerably more healthy. Its unemployment is 5.9% vs LA's 9%. In terms of job growth, Metro LA added 2.05% vs Boston's 1.89% from March 2012 to March 2013. However in terms of Real GDP growth since 2008, Boston's GDP has grown by 4.9% while LA's shrunk by 4.2%.

I also believe Boston has a commanding advantage economically when it comes to high-skill industries like medical research, biotechnology, high technology, finance, etc. Startups and venture capital are also heavily in Boston's favor.

However I was under the impression that LA is big when it comes to law...is that accurate?

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-07-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:

This is very true, haha! And I wasn't really trying to start a lengthy argument, I was just agressively explaining my opinion. On the other hand, it's not really debatable that Boston is less prone to natural disasters thanks to geography and topography etc.

As for the bolder part, the areas in which Boston has a distinct advantage over LAhave already been listed by countless amounts of other posters. To say that Boston is more walkable would be both repetitive and boring. It's much more interesting to try to make an argument that goes against the majority more, but is still arguable...if that makes sense

Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Money shot emboldened. By your own standards, milder weather is preferable.

It's good Boston has pleasant weather this week. Los Angeles simply enjoys it more often when Boston is otherwise, ahem, enjoying its Four Seasons. This is not subjective.
LOL. He prefers 74 to 71, but he also prefers 4 months (at least) of freezing weather to 4 months of 60, 70s and 80s. No logical inconsistencies there.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well, let's see, it'll be 71 degrees in LA on Friday according to weather.com, and 74 degrees in Boston.

Not to mention that 365 days of relatively unchanging weather that LA has. (no snow)

And did I mention that weather.com says LA will get up to 90 on Sunday. (90 degrees in May!?!)

And which is more prone to forest fires and earthquakes? (give me a good snowstorm over a forest fire any day)

In fewer words: I disagree.
LA's 71F is not bad at all. As for forest fires, LA has no forest, only chaparral. Boston has harsh winter storms and freezes, and superstorms like Sandy. Los Angeles never gets this, plus still has snow on the mountains. Summers in LA are also usually considered "better". While I enjoy the monsoon of the Eastern US more than LA's dryness, LA also lacks those mosquitoes and gnats that buzz around your face in the East Coast summer! Most people find LA's dry warm weather more tolerable than the humid heat of Boston. As for beaches, LA wins no contest, due to warmer weather in general, palm trees, scenery, waves, and warmer waters.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
haha I was actually talking to the Walrus. There's no point in debating weather extensively...doing so will probably kill the thread since it's the most pointless thing to argue about.

What are LA's main strengths economically outside of the entertainment industry? I feel this is an area where Boston has a distinct advantage over Los Angeles. Obviously in pure bulk LA wins, but Boston appears to be considerably more healthy. Its unemployment is 5.9% vs LA's 9%. In terms of job growth, Metro LA added 2.05% vs Boston's 1.89% from March 2012 to March 2013. However in terms of Real GDP growth since 2008, Boston's GDP has grown by 4.9% while LA's shrunk by 4.2%.

I also believe Boston has a commanding advantage economically when it comes to high-skill industries like medical research, biotechnology, high technology, finance, etc. Startups and venture capital are also heavily in Boston's favor.

However I was under the impression that LA is big when it comes to law...is that accurate?
Boston's better but LA is good with USC and UCLA plus lesser schools like Pepperdine and Loyola. Speaking of which, Loyola is building some really great-looking student housing in the Koreatown area, right next to the Vermont / Wilshire double towers.

I think despite Boston's healthier economy, Los Angeles is seeing more new construction and investment in the core.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Quote:

What are LA's main strengths economically outside of the entertainment industry?
Trade, logistics, manufacturing, quickly emerging tech industry ("Silicon Beach"), biotech (think Amgen, Allergan, etc), real estate, construction/engineering, the toy industry, fashion and law.

So yeah, there are strengths in a few more areas than entertainment.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
urban boston by far

LA - the ultimate suburban city
Compared to Boston's 40 or 50 square miles it might look that way, but is Los Angeles really suburban? Big? Yes, especially compared to Boston, but suburban, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City