Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 11,242 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old Law Student in England. I am in my final year of Law School but plan on living in Los Angeles or Boston for my master's of law.
Where is more student friendly?
Which cities are easier to make friends?
What about the economy/ cost of living?
Any more info would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 PM

224 posts, read 605,552 times
How important is weather to your decision?

Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbo22 View Post
I am a 22 year old Law Student in England. I am in my final year of Law School but plan on living in Los Angeles or Boston for my master's of law.
Where is more student friendly?
Which cities are easier to make friends?
What about the economy/ cost of living?
Any more info would help
Boston is much more of a college town than L.A. with a higher number of universities in a smaller area. Boston is also probably cheaper and has better job prospects I think.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 AM

7 posts, read 11,242 times
hmm, i do like my sunshine but I'm from the U.K. so we don't get much sun. Just a lot of rain.
Are Boston winter's really that bad?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,925,604 times
It's a bit difficult to answer your question about Boston's winters, because what is considered a really bad winter is subjective. Boston's winters are colder and snowier than those in the U.K., but they are less severe than the winters in the northern interior of the U.S. Boston's winters might be roughly similar to those in parts of continental Europe's interior, but are much less long or severe than the winters in Scandanavia.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:08 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Boston is much more of a college town than L.A. with a higher number of universities in a smaller area. Boston is also probably cheaper and has better job prospects I think.
UCLA, USC?

Those are big schools

Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
UCLA, USC?

Those are big schools
Los Angeles has some very nice schools, but it's nothing compared to Boston in this regard.

To the OP, Boston will definitely be much more similar to the UK. The COL will be a bit lower in Boston, though both are expensive. Boston is definitely more college-friendly and is better for young professionals too.

Making friends should be relatively equal because if you're going to be in a classroom environment, you should be able to make friends without much trouble. You're bound to meet someone who has local friends which should help tap you in to the local social scene.

If you're not going to have a car, this is a huge advantage for Boston. Los Angeles has a subway system but for a city of its size, it's hideous. It does have a decent bus system.

Another advantage for Boston is that it's a very concentrated city. Boston Cambridge and Brookline combined take up a total of ~62 square miles. Los Angeles alone is ~469 square miles. There is tons of stuff to do in both cities, but it'll be much easier to do what you want to see if you're in Boston because everything is so close. Getting from Brookline Center to Downtown Boston is about a 25 minute subway ride. Getting from Cambridge to Downtown Boston is about a 10 minute subway ride. You're not likely going to get such convenience in Los Angeles.

If you're able to take the winters, Boston may be a better choice...but you can't lose with Los Angeles either. It really just depends on your preference.

P.S. All of the other major East Coast cities (NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC) are accessible by train from Boston too.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
If you want a familiar "English" feel, then choose Boston. If you want an experience that is 180 degrees different from anything in England, then go with LA.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you want a familiar "English" feel, then choose Boston. If you want an experience that is 180 degrees different from anything in England, then go with LA.

I was thinking the same thing!

also if it is a city in the UK sense than Boston, a American derivation then LA

someone mentioned LA as more expensive, I actually would disagree

I don't think a student will be living in Beverly Hills or Malibu, the downtown of Boston will be more expensive than the vast majority of LA sans a few areas that are likely not a good fit for a college student

Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
someone mentioned LA as more expensive, I actually would disagree

I don't think a student will be living in Beverly Hills or Malibu, the downtown of Boston will be more expensive than the vast majority of LA sans a few areas that are likely not a good fit for a college student
UCLA is in Westwood which is surrounded by Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Bel-Air. Pepperdine is in Malibu. Even a one bedroom apartment near USC (ghetto) will be an absolute minimum of $800/mo. And don't forget the cost of owning a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City