Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 AM

403 posts, read 1,079,457 times

Advertisements

You can't just visit LA and think you know it. Boston is a beautiful city, no doubt. But Boston bares itself to you. You show up and you're flowing. In LA you have to bare yourself to the city. It will tear you apart, wear you down and after about 3 years you'll finally see it, and you won't want to be anywhere else. LA is truly in a league of its own. It dared to be different and it requires that it's residents take on the same dare. I can't say it enough, LA isn't a place to visit... It's a place to live.

As far as architectural design Boston has greater tradition, but Los Angeles has giant inventories of different eras displayed in its housing inventory because the region has sustained rapid growth for over 100 years. That should speak for itself. From 500,000 people 100 years ago to 18 million today, and growing. Los Angeles is hugely underestimated, and that itself is likely why it enjoys success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
There's just something about L.A.
There's just something about Boston too!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:35 AM

311 posts, read 492,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Used to live in Boston, so gave it my vote.

But I prefer LA from November to March. Would rather look at blondes in bikinis than angry people covered in three layers of coats and sweaters.
There are angry people here in L.A. with bikinis and other weird outfits they wear. I look at the body languages and most of them are miserable.

The only thing I like about L.A. is the climate, but the biggest sticking point is the self-segregation based on income. Most of them mostly stick with each other and don't associate outside their "bubble".

The one thing I like about Boston is that it has history and the people, for the most part, are real and approachable.

In addition, it's a great hockey town with the Bruins leading the way (I wish they were still playing at the old Boston Garden), while so-called Kings "fans" don't come out until they win the Stanley Cup. Where were these people during the lean years of the '80s and the mid '90s, which saw stars like Gretzky leave because he wanted to win one more cup before his retirement?

Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Dayum. Where did you take that one from- Verdugo Peak? Stunning.
Believe it or not it's the top of Griffith Park.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I love the old-world urbanity & charm of Boston. This is a beautiful shot from DZH22 from the ArchBoston forums.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/DZH22/rsz_img_2630.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 06-15-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
There are angry people here in L.A. with bikinis and other weird outfits they wear. I look at the body languages and most of them are miserable.

The only thing I like about L.A. is the climate, but the biggest sticking point is the self-segregation based on income. Most of them mostly stick with each other and don't associate outside their "bubble".

The one thing I like about Boston is that it has history and the people, for the most part, are real and approachable.

In addition, it's a great hockey town with the Bruins leading the way (I wish they were still playing at the old Boston Garden), while so-called Kings "fans" don't come out until they win the Stanley Cup. Where were these people during the lean years of the '80s and the mid '90s, which saw stars like Gretzky leave because he wanted to win one more cup before his retirement?
Oh please, you're comparing a cold climate area to a warm area. LA isn't a place where you grow up with hockey. It's not a natural sport to us, thus hockey will always be behind basketball, football, and baseball, and even soccer. For the Kings to be successful here, they need to win over the fans, because hockey isn't in our DNA. It just isn't.

The Kings have had solid support in LA though for most of their existence. They have won the city over now.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
And I've about had it with those criticizing the degree and consistency of enthusiasm for hockey in Los Angeles, like it's a referendum on civic loyalty. As in most parts of the country, there is little readily available first-hand experience with actually playing the sport. In most places, most of the year, it's mom putting Taylor in the back of the mini-van to have him practice his expensive hobby. It has all the accessibility as a participation sport as quidditch, and in many regions it draws from the same talent pool. The Kings won, let their fans enjoy it. Otherwise, embittered hockey dork needs to stay in his lane.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Believe it or not it's the top of Griffith Park.
Oh! I see the angle now. You're looking towards Verdugo and the San Gabriels beyond. Honestly I had never thought to hike on that side of Griffith; I usually stick to the edge facing the basin. I need to explore more

People seem to make fun of Glendale a lot but man...it would be nice to have a view of those peaks from so close.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
I don't know.....because I've never been to Boston but I've been to LA more times than I care to. I guess I would say LA because it's warmer. But Boston has better history IMO. Both are ridiculously expensive and too liberal, I wouldn't want to live in either of them. Though I assume Boston would have cleaner air quality, whenever I go to LA I cough for like 10 minutes because I'm not used to that much smog, but Boston is pretty flat from what I've seen in pictures, it lacks the scenic hills and mountains of SoCal. However I think Boston has the better architecture.

Though that being said, I would probably take Boston beaches over LA beaches. People think California beaches are great, they're not. The water is ice cold and many beaches are polluted with filth and unsafe for swimming. The Atlantic Ocean, even in Boston, has far warmer and calmer water. The Pacific Ocean is very choppy and it will beat you up after being in it for a few minutes, even with a wet suit on.

I also find it funny people are talking about people's attitudes and are basing them off of stereotypes. Look, let me assure you that Californians are just like everyone else, we have good people and bad people. Boston has good people and bad people. Everyplace has good and bad people. Comparing people is ridiculous!

Last edited by West Coast Republican; 06-15-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I don't know.....because I've never been to Boston but I've been to LA more times than I care to. I guess I would say LA because it's warmer. But Boston has better history IMO. Both are ridiculously expensive and too liberal, I wouldn't want to live in either of them. Though I assume Boston would have cleaner air quality, whenever I go to LA I cough for like 10 minutes because I'm not used to that much smog, but Boston is pretty flat from what I've seen in pictures, it lacks the scenic hills and mountains of SoCal. However I think Boston has the better architecture.

Though that being said, I would probably take Boston beaches over LA beaches. People think California beaches are great, they're not. The water is ice cold and many beaches are polluted with filth and unsafe for swimming. The Atlantic Ocean, even in Boston, has far warmer and calmer water. The Pacific Ocean is very choppy and it will beat you up after being in it for a few minutes, even with a wet suit on.

I also find it funny people are talking about people's attitudes and are basing them off of stereotypes. Look, let me assure you that Californians are just like everyone else, we have good people and bad people. Boston has good people and bad people. Everyplace has good and bad people. Comparing people is ridiculous!
Boston has hills. Trust me, riding my bike from downtown back to my place definitely gets my heart rate up. Also, I would disagree about Boston beaches. If you're talking about the beaches near the city, they aren't all that great. Cape Cod is much better, but the water is still cold, even in the middle of summer. If you don't want to swim, it's fine though. But I would agree that Boston's architecture overall is better, though we do have some of the ugliest buildings in the USA (Prudential Tower, City Hall, monstrosity new glass box luxury apartment buildings popping up everywhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City