Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles.

I think New York and Los Angeles, as cities, are the two faces of America. Needless to say, there's a bookend megacity on both the Atlantic and Pacific.

Los Angeles in general is a pretty special city, I think at this point, I liken it to Boston in probably 9 out of 10 things that I care for, with streetscape and it's architecture along the bay being my main interest with Boston.

I don't believe in voting on City-Data polls any longer and haven't in a while, but seems I was a Boston fanatic earlier. Just had a change of heart, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I think New York and Los Angeles, as cities, are the two faces of America..
If this is truly your opinion then you are missing a lot of what this country has to offer.

And that is sad...

Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
If this is truly your opinion then you are missing a lot of what this country has to offer.

And that is sad...
I think what the person meant was when foreigners think of the U.S., they probably think of New York and California first, specifically New York City and Los Angeles.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston has hills. Trust me, riding my bike from downtown back to my place definitely gets my heart rate up. Also, I would disagree about Boston beaches. If you're talking about the beaches near the city, they aren't all that great. Cape Cod is much better, but the water is still cold, even in the middle of summer. If you don't want to swim, it's fine though. But I would agree that Boston's architecture overall is better, though we do have some of the ugliest buildings in the USA (Prudential Tower, City Hall, monstrosity new glass box luxury apartment buildings popping up everywhere).
I agree about the beaches, Boston city beaches are not great. South and north of the metro are some really great beaches as you mention.

I also agree that Boston is fairly hilly, though not nearly to the extent of Los Angeles. My apartment was at the top of a fairly large hill in Brighton. Compared to LA it is pretty flat though, there is nothing like Northeast LA in Boston let alone the Santa Monica Mountains jutting through the middle of the city. Even Mid-City, Downtown, Westlake and the West SFV are pretty hilly.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:

And that is sad...
For now, America offers me a lot, I'm grateful to the existence of New York, Miami, Chicago, Washington, Tucson, San Diego-Tijuana, Denver, and maybe Austin and San Francisco Bay Area too. In addition to next door access to Toronto, Vancouver, and Victoria. Not far off from Panama City, Santiago, and Buenos Aires. Pretty much, all I could care for on this side of the planet.

I'd say given my preferences coloring a location all over the American-Canadian map that I have at the very least kept my mind open to what America "has to offer", as per your earlier insinuation.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:14 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Uhh. Could someone with better pictures of Boston please back me up here?

100% of these pictures were taken in the last two days with my cell phone...

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-21-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
For now, America offers me a lot, I'm grateful to the existence of New York, Miami, Chicago, Washington, Tucson, San Diego-Tijuana, Denver, and maybe Austin and San Francisco Bay Area too. In addition to next door access to Toronto, Vancouver, and Victoria. Not far off from Panama City, Santiago, and Buenos Aires. Pretty much, all I could care for on this side of the planet.

I'd say given my preferences coloring a location all over the American-Canadian map that I have at the very least kept my mind open to what America "has to offer", as per your earlier insinuation.
Then you agree with me that your earlier statement (that NYC and LA are the "faces" of America) was absolutely ridiculous?

(and I wasn't really insinuating anything..)

Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Default A few of my L.A. pics.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Uhh. Could someone with better pictures of Boston please back me up here?

100% of these pictures were taken in the last two days with my cell phone...

Hey I went to that BBQ festival at Government Center! Like 6 years ago (wow time flies). It was actually the start of converting my wife away from vegetarianism...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City