Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
This is like comparing toenail fungus to strep throat. I mean like really. There is no cure for Los Angeles but in Boston, spring always arrives by mid-May. People in LA as real friendly just as plastic like they have pumped into their faces. Boston people take some getting used to but so much more worth it. Boston has professional wait staff in their best restaurants, not talent-less wannabees sucking it up for tips. And Boston is a walkable city, a city with the "T" and they don't take "The Five" or whatever. Boston's got baked haddock and LA is just baked. LA has Rodeo Drive and Boston, Newbury St. OK anyone who thinks Rodeo Drive rules Back Bay has been snorting way too much Peruvian Flake. It's no contest: Real vs. fake, charm vs. cheese, fact vs. fiction. Then again, LA has Gwynneth and Boston has Giselle. Are there ANY questions????
Someone's been watching too much tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 AM

13 posts, read 14,309 times
To comment on the whole weather thing it's not the winter that i hated particularly growing up it was the fact that after a rough winter the spring and early summer was extremely inconsistent like I heard from some friends that right now in mid June there has been a ****load of rain and they are dieing to come out to Manhattan beach to visit me. Because honestly there are a ton of January days here that are nicer than May and June days in the bean. I do somewhat miss the seasons but honestly I don't miss the commute in the middle of January to school when there would be a foot of snow on the ground on a crappy 2 lane highway 128. Usually when I remind myself of that my desire for seasons goes away and ill go walk a few blocks over to the beach on a 72 degree day in January

Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ugh, I guess we can't be friends then. If you can't appreciate a good pumpkin beer, I have the feeling you probably drink Michelob Ultra.
So because I don't drink Pumpkin beer that automatically means I reach to the opposite end of the spectrum and drink Michelob Ultra?

I'm more of an IPA and Stout kind of guy. Socal absolutely rules in brewing these types. Pumpkin beer has become a total cliche amongst northeast yuppies so great job in fitting in

Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Those trees are beautiful! Now I'm wondering how long the peak of spring lasts in L.A. Is spring like a real season, with lots blooms everywhere for at least a couple of months (like parts of the southeastern U.S.), or is it more brief?

In Boston, there's always one thing or another blooming from maybe late March to late May, but the peak of spring, the classic picture of flowers blooming all around you, is brief. It's beautiful, but it lasts for only about two weeks in early to mid May.
For the Jacarandas, it is really brief... They really "exploded" last month but have lost a lot of flowers. That being said they have flowers and will throughout summer if I remember correctly.

Spring overall is pretty short but I'd say it's a few months long. The thing with seasons out here is they sort of bleed together versus what I experienced in Boston where the seasons abruptly change in a day or week. So it hard to say, I mean technically we're still in Spring but it's felt like Summer for a month or so.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
This is like comparing toenail fungus to strep throat. I mean like really. There is no cure for Los Angeles but in Boston, spring always arrives by mid-May. People in LA as real friendly just as plastic like they have pumped into their faces. Boston people take some getting used to but so much more worth it. Boston has professional wait staff in their best restaurants, not talent-less wannabees sucking it up for tips. And Boston is a walkable city, a city with the "T" and they don't take "The Five" or whatever. Boston's got baked haddock and LA is just baked. LA has Rodeo Drive and Boston, Newbury St. OK anyone who thinks Rodeo Drive rules Back Bay has been snorting way too much Peruvian Flake. It's no contest: Real vs. fake, charm vs. cheese, fact vs. fiction. Then again, LA has Gwynneth and Boston has Giselle. Are there ANY questions????
Where do you get your coke?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Some of this comes down to personal preference about what you like in nature. Those pictures looking across L.A. from the mountains at the city's edge are cool. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that L.A. does not have a river like this:

The personal preference I mentioned above is not only a question of whether you prefer mountains or water. It's also about how closely you like to have nature intertwined with the city. Just as I said it's cool to see those urban views below from up on the mountains, it's also impressive to be in the middle of a natural feature like a river, and have a city closely surrounding you.

Some people might prefer going to the mountains at the city's edge, so they can get some sense of getting away for a while, even with the urban panorama spreading below. Others might like to be able to practically step out their door in the city center and get some recreation in a slice of nature. Then again, the same person might want one or the other, depending on the person's mood. So you can't say that one is better than the other, but both cities have some nature within their corporate limits.
LA has a river too, although not nearly as grand as the river in those photos you posted. But keep in mind we also have the Pacific Ocean, and the hundreds of miles of coastline that go with that.

Those mountains are not at the "city's edge", by the way. They bisect the city. From where I sit in Downtown LA, I can be hiking in Griffith Park at +1,000' in approx 10 minutes. If I crossed over to the other side of the mountains I'm still very much in Los Angeles- I'm just in the San Fernando Valley instead of the LA basin.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 14,309 times
Quote:
Whether people out here are fake or not it has been a breath of fresh air to be around a population and general public who don't seem miserable. Literally walking around Boston and a lot of the surrounding areas most people literally have scowls on their faces and I always thought if my car ever broke down or I ever tripped in the middle of the street nobody would stop and help and in fact would probably just run me over. So out here at least people try whether it's fake or not I don't really care

Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
We have a lot of nature within the city limits. Real nature. Like mountain lion, coyote, rattlesnake nature.
You don't say...

Old 06-13-2014, 01:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
LA has a river too, although not nearly as grand as the river in those photos you posted. But keep in mind we also have the Pacific Ocean, and the hundreds of miles of coastline that go with that.
Really? lol. Come on, it's a concrete lined flood control channel. The "LA River" is probably the last thing you want to mention when it comes to "nature" in LA as there is very little natural or scenic about it within the city limits.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Really? lol. Come on, it's a concrete lined flood control channel. The "LA River" is probably the last thing you want to mention when it comes to "nature" in LA as there is very little natural or scenic about it within the city limits.
nice river LA has there:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Los+A...07.85,,0,-3.08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City