Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Definitely not blistering. The months it usually gets the hottest in SoCal are July, August and September.
But October is the next warmest month. And on certain days early in the month, blistering is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Nah not me. First, I don't like pumpkin beer.
Ugh, I guess we can't be friends then. If you can't appreciate a good pumpkin beer, I have the feeling you probably drink Michelob Ultra.

Quote:
Summer and fall weather in the northeast is just something for those people to celebrate before the winter comes and people start to hate their lives on a regular basis. I laugh it up how you can go to the beach in LA when it's mid October and in the northeast people are already starting to experience cold fronts
That's the thing though, I live in a climate very similar to LA's (though probably more humid) and I miss that weather. It's not an excuse or a weak reason for celebration...some of us just love that sort of weather. One of my good friends here is an American who was born in Colombia, and the way he describes Bogotá weather is heavenly to me: perpetually 55-65 degrees, cloudy & rainy. For some people that's just more comfortable.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:16 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There is fall foliage within Los Angeles - Hancock Park has a large amount of deciduous trees that usually show colors in the fall. Of course it's not nearly as vibrant-looking as New England, this is a definite "win" for Boston.

However, to counter the fall foliage Boston could never support the insane color explosion that is the blooming of the jacarandas in LA: https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...nda-trees.html
Those trees are beautiful! Now I'm wondering how long the peak of spring lasts in L.A. Is spring like a real season, with lots blooms everywhere for at least a couple of months (like parts of the southeastern U.S.), or is it more brief?

In Boston, there's always one thing or another blooming from maybe late March to late May, but the peak of spring, the classic picture of flowers blooming all around you, is brief. It's beautiful, but it lasts for only about two weeks in early to mid May.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
LA- Better whether, more diverse, more friendly people, better sports teams, WAY more to do, etc.
Say what? L.A. has better sports teams?

It's your business what teams you follow, and in a way you will consider those "better" than other teams because you like them better. If you talk in broader terms about the quality of a city's sports scene, you've got to look beyond today's standings when comparing the scenes in two cities.

A team's quality of play will have its ups and downs over the years. Today's contender will be yesterday's cellar dweller and an also-ran sometime in the future. To compare cities in sports, you've got to consider the full sports scene over the years, the history and tradition of the teams, passion (or not) of the fans, that kind of thing. In what possible way, beyond personal preference, can you view L.A.'s overall sports scene as superior to Boston's?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ugh, I guess we can't be friends then. If you can't appreciate a good pumpkin beer, I have the feeling you probably drink Michelob Ultra.

That's the thing though, I live in a climate very similar to LA's (though probably more humid) and I miss that weather. It's not an excuse or a weak reason for celebration...some of us just love that sort of weather. One of my good friends here is an American who was born in Colombia, and the way he describes Bogotá weather is heavenly to me: perpetually 55-65 degrees, cloudy & rainy. For some people that's just more comfortable.
You would enjoy the Pacific Northwest. That's pretty much the weather of Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I visited Boston in February around Valentine's Day a few years back with my now fiancee and thought it was fine though... It was like upper 30s, not too cold, and the sun came out most days--but we actually like cold weather.
Unless you visit during a cold snap, the weather in Boston most likely won't seem so bad. Even during cold spells it's not usually brutal like parts of the Midwest, unless it's like a once-in-a-decade kind of cold. And, as you observed, the sun is out many days. There aren't usually extended periods where it's gray and gloomy like some areas around the Great Lakes. Still, a brief visit won't help you understand what people are talking about when they say they're sick of winter by January. Even though Boston is not the far and frozen north, winter there still lasts long enough so that it's the way it drags on that gets to people, not that it's severely cold at any given time, because usually it's not.

I like cold weather myself. Cold air has a nice fresh feel. But I like it for only so long. Unlike the people who've said they've had enough winter by January, I start feeling that way more like sometime in February, but then it's like, hey, I've had enough of winter but winter isn't done yet. There are weeks left to go. Then winter kind of grates on me. You'd have to spend a whole winter in Boston to get what people are talking about with the fed up with winter by (whatever date) talk. A brief visit won't drive that home.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Soemtimes, it's hard for people to understand the concept of small states.

I can be in Maine from my NJ home in 6 hours if I drive north. Someone from LA driving north for 6 hours would still be in CA. I'd cross through 4 states then I'd hit Maine, a 5th, while the person across the country would still be in the same state.

My point: Yes, access to NH counts as a plus for Boston, and access to any other state within reasonable distance.
And it appears that the total of five states is only the ones you're in after leaving New Jersey. If you count your time in NJ before you cross the first state line, you really spend time in six states on a drive to Maine: NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, and ME. And I checked Mapquest and actually got a driving time of slightly over 4.5 hours to get from northeastern NJ, in the suburbs directly across from NYC, to the very southern tip of Maine.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,606 times
This is like comparing toenail fungus to strep throat. I mean like really. There is no cure for Los Angeles but in Boston, spring always arrives by mid-May. People in LA as real friendly just as plastic like they have pumped into their faces. Boston people take some getting used to but so much more worth it. Boston has professional wait staff in their best restaurants, not talent-less wannabees sucking it up for tips. And Boston is a walkable city, a city with the "T" and they don't take "The Five" or whatever. Boston's got baked haddock and LA is just baked. LA has Rodeo Drive and Boston, Newbury St. OK anyone who thinks Rodeo Drive rules Back Bay has been snorting way too much Peruvian Flake. It's no contest: Real vs. fake, charm vs. cheese, fact vs. fiction. Then again, LA has Gwynneth and Boston has Giselle. Are there ANY questions????

Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
That's about the worst argument you could make in Boston's favor in this thread, considering there is a 1,800' mountain range that literally bisects LA's urban core.

Photo: Mine

[vimeo]97726387[/vimeo]
Some of this comes down to personal preference about what you like in nature. Those pictures looking across L.A. from the mountains at the city's edge are cool. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that L.A. does not have a river like this:

http://everystockphoto.s3.amazonaws....e_962446_o.jpg

http://www.bostonlgbtfilmfest.net/wp...rles-river.jpg

https://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc68983.php

https://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv20160.php

At play in the Charles, the resurgent otter - The Boston Globe

Swimming in the Charles (Photo 7 of 8) - Pictures - The Boston Globe

W3C TPAC2008, Welcome: Cambridge 2007

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_herman/8106966888/

Photos: Where the runners go in Boston (Photo 5 of 8) - Pictures - The Boston Globe

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ethomsen/10495912124/

night skyline with rowing, Charles River autumn, from BU bridge, Boston, MA | Steve Dunwell photography Boston

https://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv20158.php

https://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc4728.php

Greater Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The personal preference I mentioned above is not only a question of whether you prefer mountains or water. It's also about how closely you like to have nature intertwined with the city. Just as I said it's cool to see those urban views below from up on the mountains, it's also impressive to be in the middle of a natural feature like a river, and have a city closely surrounding you.

Some people might prefer going to the mountains at the city's edge, so they can get some sense of getting away for a while, even with the urban panorama spreading below. Others might like to be able to practically step out their door in the city center and get some recreation in a slice of nature. Then again, the same person might want one or the other, depending on the person's mood. So you can't say that one is better than the other, but both cities have some nature within their corporate limits.

Last edited by ogre; 06-12-2014 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Unless you visit during a cold snap, the weather in Boston most likely won't seem so bad. Even during cold spells it's not usually brutal like parts of the Midwest, unless it's like a once-in-a-decade kind of cold. And, as you observed, the sun is out many days. There aren't usually extended periods where it's gray and gloomy like some areas around the Great Lakes. Still, a brief visit won't help you understand what people are talking about when they say they're sick of winter by January. Even though Boston is not the far and frozen north, winter there still lasts long enough so that it's the way it drags on that gets to people, not that it's severely cold at any given time, because usually it's not.

I like cold weather myself. Cold air has a nice fresh feel. But I like it for only so long. Unlike the people who've said they've had enough winter by January, I start feeling that way more like sometime in February, but then it's like, hey, I've had enough of winter but winter isn't done yet. There are weeks left to go. Then winter kind of grates on me. You'd have to spend a whole winter in Boston to get what people are talking about with the fed up with winter by (whatever date) talk. A brief visit won't drive that home.
I get that just visiting Boston a few times during the winter is different than living there. Though I lived for four years in Edmonton, Alberta as a kid(where it gets -20 occasionally and you don't see the bare ground from December through April) and actually didn't mind it that much and spend 3 years in an incredibly snowy part of the Sierra Nevada, so a Boston winter wouldn't worry me that much. The winter weather isn't that great in the Pacific Northwest where I live now and by February people are tired of the constantly grey skies--and it can be even worse when the gloomy skies last into the long days of June. I'm more bored with 50 degree weather and kind of a mild grayness than colder weather which I actually sort of like at this point. Pacific Northwest weather outside the crisper colder fall and winter weather and summer days is just more boring than anything else to me though.

Honestly, though weather doesn't really bother me that much no matter where I live. I just adapt. I could live in Florida and deal with the humidity, I could deal with cold Midwest/Northeastern winters if I lived there. I'll be inside an office working for most of my life outside weekends anyhow--so it's not that big a deal as long as there's stuff to do and I'm not bored.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-12-2014 at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City