Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 02:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

LA is my favorite city in the country. Boston overtook Atlanta as my 2nd favorite. LA has the perfect mixture of urban, suburban, dense without feeling crowded, vibrant without being chaotic. The city has no center which gives off a feeling that there is more to see and do no matter what area that you're in. Geographically, culturally diverse, great weather, great food... The total package.

Boston is does everything right as a northeastern city except the astonishingly ugly City Hall, and the weird bus tunnel. Other than that, Boston does everything right architecturally, great views from multiple neighborhoods, safe, clean, diverse, great blending the old with the new, prettiest women in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 02:10 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
LA is my favorite city in the country. Boston overtook Atlanta as my 2nd favorite. LA has the perfect mixture of urban, suburban, dense without feeling crowded, vibrant without being chaotic. The city has no center which gives off a feeling that there is more to see and do no matter what area that you're in. Geographically, culturally diverse, great weather, great food... The total package.

Boston is does everything right as a northeastern city except the astonishingly ugly City Hall, and the weird bus tunnel. Other than that, Boston does everything right architecturally, great views from multiple neighborhoods, safe, clean, diverse, great blending the old with the new, prettiest women in the Northeast.
I'm in the minority that loves Boston city Hall. Especially when it's lit up at night. I'm honestly mad they won't leave it a barren plaza-great for concerts and large events and a nice break in the structural chaos that is Central Boston. I loved it bare.

https://twitter.com/617images/status/786931808579547136

https://i.redd.it/z8livba59xq41.jpg

The bus tunnel is just to the airport and courthouse, it's is not something you would use more than 4-5 times a year. I'd agree about you on each of the strong points of Boston.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Peak urbanity-wise, Boston hits higher peaks, but pretty good urbanity-wise, Los Angeles is better and more varied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I'm in the minority that loves Boston city Hall. Especially when it's lit up at night. I'm honestly mad they won't leave it a barren plaza-great for concerts and large events and a nice break in the structural chaos that is Central Boston. I loved it bare.

The bus tunnel is just to the airport and courthouse, it's is not something you would use more than 4-5 times a year. I'd agree about you on each of the strong points of Boston.

I wonder if there's any reasonable way to convert the bus tunnel into rail. I was thinking something like another Green Line extension possibly with it running to Government Center, Haymarket or North Station being where it then runs into the branches where the Green Line extension head will eventually service. Bus rapid transit for such a heavily used route seems silly to me.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:22 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:

The lighting would definitely help it. I'm not the biggest an of Brutalist architecture tho. In some instances it does work.

You're right about that bus tunnel, I did take it from the airport. I used it another night to get to Southport, and that's when noticed that I could've just walked.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Peak urbanity-wise, Boston hits higher peaks, but pretty good urbanity-wise, Los Angeles is better and more varied.

I wonder if there's any reasonable way to convert the bus tunnel into rail. I was thinking something like another Green Line extension possibly with it running to Government Center, Haymarket or North Station being where it then runs into the branches where the Green Line extension head will eventually service. Bus rapid transit for such a heavily used route seems silly to me.
It's relatively new right?- built in the mid-2000s. I think there is one other bus tunnel in Cambridge but its extremely brief and it's from the 80s. No need to replace either with rail, works just fine and is not even an essential thoroughfare if we're being totally honest.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The lighting would definitely help it. I'm not the biggest an of Brutalist architecture tho. In some instances it does work.

You're right about that bus tunnel, I did take it from the airport. I used it another night to get to Southport, and that's when noticed that I could've just walked.
I love brutalist architecture so much its definitely abnormal. Myhttps://www.google.com/maps/@41.7452549,-72.6910174,3a,90y,79.96h,98t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOkgmEE0GU-4d7YdAMk5c7YRuKlvnjz9wP-1W6m!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent .com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOkgmEE0GU-4d7YdAMk5c7YRuKlvnjz9wP-1W6m%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya108.856834-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352 in college

I think Boston City Hall is a good mix up for Boston. Something distinct and a refuge from all the colonial history in that part of town. I like it-its bold and it feels ethereal when you're in there, it's such a cool building inside. Fascinating building

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRvvAIv_fY4

Old 08-24-2021, 09:12 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I enjoy Boston, but I probably cannot adjust to the winters. LA for me.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:43 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
bos angeles, (clever, eh) ?

Old 08-25-2021, 06:41 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
It's relatively new right?- built in the mid-2000s. I think there is one other bus tunnel in Cambridge but its extremely brief and it's from the 80s. No need to replace either with rail, works just fine and is not even an essential thoroughfare if we're being totally honest.
Writes someone who doesn’t fly a lot. The lack of a subway to the airport from South Station when the Ted Williams Tunnel was built is a travesty. Even LA is finally addressing their airport public transportation issue.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Writes someone who doesn’t fly a lot. The lack of a subway to the airport from South Station when the Ted Williams Tunnel was built is a travesty. Even LA is finally addressing their airport public transportation issue.
What's the issue? I certainly wouldn't say Boston has a “public transportation issue” in regards to access to the airport. That's one of the best things about flying into Boston compared to most other American cities I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City