Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 11:29 AM

653 posts, read 463,599 times

Advertisements

I like both cities and have spent a good amount of time in both. That's why I'd write-in vote for the Bay Area, which, to me, is a kind of cross between the better parts of these two places, at least culturally and often day-to-day living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 01:38 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
I like both cities and have spent a good amount of time in both. That's why I'd write-in vote for the Bay Area, which, to me, is a kind of cross between the better parts of these two places, at least culturally and often day-to-day living...
This is true but SF isnt being compared

Old 08-26-2021, 04:15 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I’m pretty sure that’s all you need to be sports rivals. Celtics/Lakers is similar to Bruins/Habs, perhaps less significant than Sox/Yankees but definitely still a thing.
I couldn't agree less.

Sox Yankees play many series, every year. They are inner league rivals. And New York vs. Boston is not confined to a single sport. Ditto the Habs who are in the same division + have a long, historied past (though it's the only Montreal vs. Boston sport of note).

Tough to be rivals with a city not in your division, let alone league in any sport.

I think New York is really the only true rival city. Montreal would be next for the hockey fanatics. After that... Maybe Philadelphia? But even that's not really true in my opinion.

Last edited by mwj119; 08-26-2021 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2021, 04:24 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I couldn't agree less.

Sox Yankees play many series, every year. They are inner league rivals. And New York vs. Boston is not confined to a single sport. Ditto the Habs who are in the same division + have a long, historied past (though it's the only Montreal vs. Boston sport of note).

Tough to be rivals with a city not in your division, let alone league in any sport.

I think New York is really the only true rival city. Montreal would be next for the hockey fanatics. After that... Maybe Philadelphia?
Definitely NY then Philly. Montreal for the hockey heads.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:00 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It was 107 in Sherman Oaks and 104 in Crenshaw.. grey air thick with smoke. Real bad.
Sounds horrible.

But it also sounds as if you were there at an unusually bad time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Those two are normally more like 10-15 degrees apart. 104 in Crenshaw probably happens for a day every ten years or so. I guess bad timing on your part. And that combined with thick smoke from a fire is like once in a generation type stuff. You really picked an unfortunate time. What was the date if you don't mind me asking?
When it comes to more typical weather, I'd guess that more people would give the nod to L.A. Boston would get some votes on weather, though. Some people love the four-seasons climate. I'd guess that L.A. would win the vote on weather, though, despite those occasional bad moments. L.A. usually has pleasant weather all through the year.

On the other hand, there's air quality. Even without "once in a generation" wildfire smoke, Los Angeles has a problem in that area:

https://www.businessinsider.com/phot...us-smog-2020-4
(check out the BEFORE picture)

https://laist.com/news/air-quality-l...te-change-2020

https://weather.com/health/news/2018...quality-record.

It's a shame for an area with such spectacular scenery, and with generally mild weather, but it's definitely a negative point for L.A. in a city comparison with Boston.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 1,252 times
LOL. How did LA get as many votes? It has so many problems and Boston is a much more sophisticated city.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:28 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeanmean View Post
LOL. How did LA get as many votes? It has so many problems and Boston is a much more sophisticated city.
Perception? Boston really wasnt all that much of a world class city until like 2013

Old 02-10-2022, 07:37 PM

226 posts, read 132,806 times
Eh, personally I prefer Boston, but LA is nice too. the weather and scenery in LA is undefeated and the food is better/more diversity. Boston excels in everything else tho. Boston is cheaper too.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:27 PM

798 posts, read 502,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Used to live in Boston, so gave it my vote.

But I prefer LA from November to March. Would rather look at blondes in bikinis than angry people covered in three layers of coats and sweaters.
Me too

Old 02-11-2022, 02:19 PM

676 posts, read 647,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeanmean View Post
weather, diversity, food and hollywood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City