Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,647,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
so yes Finn, you have gone a long way in clearing this up for me, ty
^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,437,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
ya, that was kind of my initial first reaction. But i don't think that is quite the analogy. All of these taste good to us, generally speaking. I guess prophesying, working miracles etc are not really considered "fruit" like kindness, grace, humility etc?

the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control.
But the bible is what the fundy munches on, not the fruit of the spirit. Heard the saying we are what we eat ?.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,985,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
I can't believe you said that. The Bible is full of verse saying if we believe in Jesus we will have eternal life. Where do you think this life will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Rejecting this is same as rejecting the Gospel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It's hard to say when you don't seem to be able to explain what it means in terms that would show the difference between profession of faith and those who "say to me 'Lord, Lord."
Quote:
It has been explained so a 9 yr old can understand it, but for some reason it comes across as foolishness to you.

Could this be the problem: "the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God"
No, Finn, the problem seems to be that you don't HAVE an answer. The question is the onlly thing here that a 9 year old can understand.

Last edited by nateswift; 09-21-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
I can't believe you said that. The Bible is full of verse saying if we believe in Jesus we will have eternal life. Where do you think this life will be?
I can't believe you think salvation is about going to heaven rather than living by it. Now is the day, this present moment.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,985,667 times
Originally Posted by nateswift
It's hard to say when you don't seem to be able to explain what it means in terms that would show the difference between profession of faith and those who "say to me 'Lord, Lord."

Quote:
It has been explained so a 9 yr old can understand it, but for some reason it comes across as foolishness to you.

Could this be the problem: "the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God"
Please cite where this explanation was given.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:

The message of the cross as always been one of love..... This is very foolish to the fundy who wants to make it about sin and eternal damnation to hell. What more could he have done to prove the love of God to the world?.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:16 PM

ya, just try getting a fundie to buy into Love, lol. Good luck with that. The wild goose chase that ensues would be funny if it weren't so sad. You are going to run the gamut from "feelings" to "works" to anything but what Christ commands. You obviously do not respect their Authoritay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
But the bible is what the fundy munches on, not the fruit of the spirit. Heard the saying we are what we eat ?.
lol, well i think this casts the Bible in a bad light, as fundies seem to be universally anathema to most anything Christ said, etc. But then i accept that Genesis is mythology--for instance--not even trying to be a factual account to base proof upon; and that Empires and Domains always seek imprimatur from selective Scripture. So i think it is fairer to say that the Bible is doing exactly what It is intended to do, which is reveal hearts. You can run and hide from people, get comments that hurt your feelings removed etc, but no one hides from God. The truth appears to be difficult to discern, until it becomes obvious, imo.

Last edited by bbyrd009; 09-21-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No, Finn, the problem seems to be that you don't HAVE an answer. The question is the onlly thing here that a 9 year old can understand.
i think the Bible should be approached the same way. Anyone telling you that they have found an answer in the Bible, and they can explain any apparent dichotomies to you is denying you the experience of discovering the fluid nature of the passages for yourself, as well as being deceived. The Bible is a Book of questions. The (possibly) most profound parable we have from Christ, speaking on the nature of "who is accepted?" The Vineyard Owner with Two Sons, is finished with a question.

As surely as you should run from anyone volunteering that they are a Christian apropos of nothing, inappropriately (not saying that there are not appropriate venues, understand), the same attitude should be practiced toward these imo. The Bible will tell you that Theology is over-rated; in more than one place, even.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I can't believe you think salvation is about going to heaven rather than living by it. Now is the day, this present moment.
this is Understand I AM to me. I grew up in that world in your first sentence, and that is the mechanism used to ensnare the fearful and deny that a Christian needs to do anything other than point their finger. Thankfully, that church has been weighed and apparently found wanting now. What will rise in its place who knows, but i notice churches now that do not excommunicate one for visiting another church at least.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Please cite where this explanation was given.
all the explanation you are going to get is in the misquote, @ "us." If there is an "us," there has to be a "them." Who are "they?" Well, obviously not "us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity