Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,824,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
you think you can make a case that these men are not going to believe that they had faith in Christ?
Jesus promises repeatedly that we are saved through our faith, so if you are going to argue the men behind the door had faith, then why were they on the wrong side?

They were boasting about their works, even miracles, so why were they there? There are plenty of people who work diligently and say they do it for God, and some donate money to the church no one can earn their way into the Kingdom of God.

I already quoted the verses, so you should already know the answer.

"But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

"For God so loved the world,[a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."

When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

The thief on the cross did not do any works, but Jesus told him he'd be in paradise with Him.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-20-2016 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:30 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,006,545 times
Quote:
i would not imply that it does.
It seems to me that is exactly what you were implying. If not tell me what the verse teaches.

[quote]"Fulfilling the law" does not mean "relying on the observance of law to save you,"[quote]

OK what doe it mean?

Quote:
imo; "fulfilling the law" is the phrase we use for salvific Christ, is it not.
I have never heard that term;I don't know what it means, and I don't care what it means. If you enlighten me, maybe I will care.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
well, apparently many are going to be disappointed in that model, according to Christ.
What model of Christ are you referring to.

Quote:
It is hard to deny that many are going to be saying "but we had faith! Lord! Lord!" as they are experiencing the door being shut upon them.
We have no idea how many will be saying that, it does not change the fact that faith in the wrong object is of not value in getting to heaven.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
if the object is Christ, why can i not get universal Hosannas when i quote Him? lol
Maybe your understanding of what you quote is not what the verse(s) teachs.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
wadr, i get this a lot. It is trying to adhere to law, it is relying on a feeling, works can't save you, here let me help you understand Christ better. What yack.

Christ said Love "fulfills the law," and there is only one other place that i am aware of where that phrase is used. So i am saying that yes, Christ is claiming, directly, that Love = salvation, if you can do it.
If you can do it is the key. Do you think sinful men can love perfectly?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,980,098 times
And the verse before says, "21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

The commitment seems to be more than to the kind of works described: prophecy, casting out demons, miracles. Serious stuff, but it doesn't seem to fulfil that "will of my Father" condition, so what is that "will?' If faith is more than just an intellectual assent, to what is it a commitment?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,980,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
If you can do it is the key. Do you think sinful men can love perfectly?
Is "perfection" the requirement?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:59 PM

What does God want from us?

He wants people to come to Him.

"who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth"

Do you have the pass to get through the door? Do you have the seal? Is your name in the book of life?

"When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal"

Old 09-20-2016, 03:04 PM

16,046 posts, read 6,419,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What does God want from us?

He wants people to come to Him.

"who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth"

Do you have the pass to get through the door? Do you have the seal? Is your name in the book of life?

"When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal"
Past tense? Sweet!!!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Past tense? Sweet!!!
In their case past tense was appropriate. People who reject God do not have the seal, and some others will receive it in the future. Some never receive it, like the ones who were behind the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity