Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times

Advertisements

It is often said that the most segregated day of the week in America is Sunday when black Christians go to their churches and White Christians attend theirs. Why, besides historical reasons and differences in styles of worship? Having attend both, I have come to believe that if is also the result of fundamental differences in the underlying theologies for African American churches, Christianity is the religion of the oppressed, the poor and the downtrodden with emphasis being places on the biblical narrative of the Jews collective suffering and deliverance from bondage and particular emphasis on Christ's teachings of forgiveness of ones enemies and oppressors, while white theology seems to be more about personal salvation and the receiving of individual blessings. Of course this is a broad generalization, but even broad generalizations can be accurate to a certain degree. The question is how broad is the generalization and how accurate or inaccurate might it be.

Discuss (not me the topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,116,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It is often said that the most segregated day of the week in America is Sunday when black Christians go to their churches and White Christians attend theirs. Why, besides historical reasons and differences in styles of worship? Having attend both, I have come to believe that if is also the result of fundamental differences in the underlying theologies for African American churches, Christianity is the religion of the oppressed, the poor and the downtrodden with emphasis being places on the biblical narrative of the Jews collective suffering and deliverance from bondage and particular emphasis on Christ's teachings of forgiveness of ones enemies and oppressors, while white theology seems to be more about personal salvation and the receiving of individual blessings. Of course this is a broad generalization, but even broad generalizations can be accurate to a certain degree. The question is how broad is the generalization and how accurate or inaccurate might it be.

Discuss (not me the topic)
It seems to be an accurate assessment. I think it extends even further and you also have the White Theology divided into Mideastern, Far eastern, Europian, Hispanic, Canadian and North American (which is obviously White and Black theologies)

As a non-Christian I do see much separation between Black and white American Christians. They seem to be 2 different religions to an outsider peeking in for a look..

Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,510,254 times
That's a pretty acute observation. A thread I shall watch.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 AM

87 posts, read 87,397 times
Smile Ok subject but just reflective on one's observation alone.

Hello OP and all in this thread.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as Black Christianity and White Christianity with the style of thought (theology)because these terms black and white have meaning in this country alone based on its historic formation or narrative to what is shown today.

In terms of church services (the theology) of so called "black" and "white" race is based almost entirely politically placed in a historical context which is American because it takes an American to understand it in every sense of the word. Nowhere else is "black" and "white" appended to religious affiliations to such a degree as of America today and yesterday.

I would say the Black Christianity and White Christianity is entirely American Christianity because of historical formations not really on worship emphasis. I think you are very fortunate OP to experience both styles but it does not give the complete picture in my opinion of the body of Christ because Christ is and still will be inclusive from beginning to end, not because of what is trending.

I think its time for mainstream Protestant (and Catholics too) who still divide their churches into racial categories for whatever reason that includes class and geography (essentially hating strangers biblically) find ways to reconcile with their brother and sisters in Christ while living because you cannot do anything being dead. And there are even cemetaries in America divided by race. Not just so called black and white but Indian burial grounds.All of this because of exclusion in life and now death. Death is still the now in my opinion and not a later option. From my perspective what a waste of life then and now even in death forever. I am not taking about the sufferer.

I pray for peace in your death(that's more than millions of people in the the US alone) and to be reconciled back to Christ for your error.

Before we talk "black" and "white" Chrisitianity why is there so much politics in worship of Christianity in America and why it takes more emphasis away from the word of God otherwise this topic is doing a great disservice to black and white and others who suffer such fates because nobody living as an American in daily life thinks about the dead or sufferers because of this emphasis.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,001,790 times
I just wrote a blog about this subject. I can only really speak on the black Christian church aspect of it though. Many black churches got their foundation from social struggles and often changed the way they preached, sang and interacted with one another. For the time it made sense because it was during slavery times when many slave owners were using Biblical stories to teach slaves about obedience and to further control them. The need to break away came from this and other factors. As the 'black church' broke away they kept their identity and to this day many of them have kept the same traditions. Just to summarize what I basically said in my blog, black churches identify themselves with being black more so than being Christian and their teachings follow this. That's why you have a lot of black Christians who are more than likely to support President Obama even though his stance on issues directly contradict many Christian beliefs. You also have many black Christians who mix culture into doctrine similar to how Paganism was mixed into the ancient churches. The only way churches from both sides will break out of it, is if they let go of cultural norms, religious traditions and follow the word how it is written. There is no justification for denominations, their no justification for pseudo-segregation of churches, and there is no justification for accepting worldly things in church (homosexuality, lusting, stealing, etc.).

Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM

118 posts, read 111,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I just wrote a blog about this subject. I can only really speak on the black Christian church aspect of it though. Many black churches got their foundation from social struggles and often changed the way they preached, sang and interacted with one another. For the time it made sense because it was during slavery times when many slave owners were using Biblical stories to teach slaves about obedience and to further control them. The need to break away came from this and other factors. As the 'black church' broke away they kept their identity and to this day many of them have kept the same traditions. Just to summarize what I basically said in my blog, black churches identify themselves with being black more so than being Christian and their teachings follow this. That's why you have a lot of black Christians who are more than likely to support President Obama even though his stance on issues directly contradict many Christian beliefs. You also have many black Christians who mix culture into doctrine similar to how Paganism was mixed into the ancient churches. The only way churches from both sides will break out of it, is if they let go of cultural norms, religious traditions and follow the word how it is written. There is no justification for denominations, their no justification for pseudo-segregation of churches, and there is no justification for accepting worldly things in church (homosexuality, lusting, stealing, etc.).
Very well said. I'd be interested in reading your blog. I think it is also important to keep in mind what Ravi Zacharias said when posed with the question as to why there are so many different denominations: "Unity does not have to be uniformity." I have seen different cultures and backgrounds come together and unite in their common bond of redemption and salvation... and it is a beautiful thing.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,001,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
Very well said. I'd be interested in reading your blog. I think it is also important to keep in mind what Ravi Zacharias said when posed with the question as to why there are so many different denominations: "Unity does not have to be uniformity." I have seen different cultures and backgrounds come together and unite in their common bond of redemption and salvation... and it is a beautiful thing.

How the Origins of the 'Black Church' Has Affected How Believers See True Christianity Today | relationship_guru_in_christ on Xanga

Here it goes. Tell me what you think

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,012,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
Ravi Zacharias

Dude's still around???

Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 PM

87 posts, read 87,397 times
Smile Oh thanks for the read

Read your report. I am particular intrigue with the word "racism" and when it was established in the English language. According to wikipedia which are your sources for the article you written

Quote:
The shortened term racism did not appear in the English language until the 1930s
Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems to be thrown around alot to describe a condition but not given a context as a word.

Since "racism" was not used as a term until the 1930's what was the term(s) or was there used to describe the conditions of those times. And who or what class of people invoked this word because words do come from peoples, nations, classes etc. Was it a word created by black christianity or white christianity? Or somewhere else entirely. Which swings back to my previous passage about Christianity in America.

That's my opinion.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM

306 posts, read 604,352 times
I believe Christianity as a whole teaches discrimination so it does not suprise me a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality