Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 11:39 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,639,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't say I don't believe it, I said it is a part of your walk as a Christian, it is not what saves you.
yes, and wadr i am disagreeing with you, as it seems to me that Christ specifically used that wording to indicate that that is exactly what it does, is save you. Either Love fulfills the law, or it does not; and you either believe that, or you don't. Are you suggesting, with the rest of that there, that i can reconcile Christ with Paul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Actually, YOU are the one who made the personal accusation, I merely pointed out that YOU are the one with the reputation, AND I provided an example of your practice right in the post quoted, but your failure to recognize that was also expected. It's a classic deflection.
I am not playing this game with you. Everyone can see how you parroted the same old claim about other people making bible an authority over Christ. I pointed it out, and you come back trying to accuse me of something.

Play your games with someone else.

Have a nice day.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
I am not playing this game with you. Everyone can see how you parroted the same old claim about other people making bible an authority over Christ. I pointed it out, and you come back trying to accuse me of something.

Play your games with someone else.

Have a nice day.
The simple fact is that you have no way to refute the point that making the Bible the supreme authority is rejecting what Jesus promised as recorded IN THE BIBLE, making the fault that much more glaring as it is a direct contradiction of the "authority" claimed.

People like that don't really believe the Bible as their authority, they hold the doctrines they have been taught as their authority.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM

and wadr it always seems that those also directly reject the authority of Christ's Word.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
yes, and wadr i am disagreeing with you, as it seems to me that Christ specifically used that wording to indicate that that is exactly what it does, is save you. Either Love fulfills the law, or it does not; and you either believe that, or you don't. Are you suggesting, with the rest of that there, that i can reconcile Christ with Paul?
This is what Christ said about salvation:

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

And John 1:
"Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

This is what he said about the law:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Its good you want to be obedient and follow the law, because it is important in your walk with Christ. However, salvation is through faith, as I showed you earlier.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:52 AM

you have not shown me anything, with all due respect. I think your faith might be dead, if it does not acknowledge works--but i am more puzzled by this direct refuting of Christ--when push comes to shove--from someone claiming to be Christian. Atheists do not even go so far imo.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Love your neighbor; this fulfills the law and prophets.

anyone telling you any different is antichrist. Anyone diluting this--the most profound Scripture we have--into "love is a feeling" or "works do not save you" ("don't listen to Christ here; let me interpret that further for you" being the obvious intimation) is also antichrist, demonstrably.

So pardon me if i say that if you do not show belief in Christ--regardless of what comes out of the other side of your mouth--then how am i to believe the rest? You tell me that Christ was wrong, that somehow Love Your Neighbor does not fulfill the law, and i should pay attention while you "explain" some better way?

Last edited by bbyrd009; 09-20-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
you have not shown me anything, with all due respect. I think your faith might be dead, if it does not acknowledge works--but i am more puzzled by this direct refuting of Christ--when push comes to shove--from someone claiming to be Christian. Atheists do not even go so far imo.
1. I have shown you what I believe (saved by faith)
2. I said works are important (several times)
3. I have not refuted Christ (which I explained several times)

You took an unfortunate path of misrepresenting everything I said, so I must assume you are in the same camp with the rest of the people who resort that that tactic.

Have a nice day, and I wish you luck in your search for the truth.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
1. I have shown you what I believe (saved by faith)
2. I said works are important (several times)
3. I have not refuted Christ (which I explained several times)

You took an unfortunate path misrepresenting everything I said, so I must assume you are in the same camp with the rest of the people who resort that that tactic.

Have a nice day, and I wish you luck in your search for the truth.
You are both dancing around the same shortness of understanding, IMO, one on one side and the other from the other side. Finn sees "faith" as an intellectual position; "belief," when it is much more than that, it is a commitment to a Way taught and demonstrated by Jesus. bbyrd66 sees the evidence of that commitment in works as a necessary part of that commitment, when it is just the evidence of it.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So pardon me if i say that if you do not show belief in Christ--regardless of what comes out of the other side of your mouth--then how am i to believe the rest?
You are pardoned, and you are free to believe, or not believe anything you want.

For the record, I believe what Christ said 100%, and you can claim otherwise all day long, but it won't change the fact.

So long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity