Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 12:20 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,989,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You are both dancing around the same shortness of understanding, IMO, one on one side and the other from the other side. Finn sees "faith" as an intellectual position; "belief," when it is much more than that, it is a commitment to a Way taught and demonstrated by Jesus. bbyrd66 sees the evidence of that commitment in works as a necessary part of that commitment, when it is just the evidence of it.
No, I do not see faith as an 'intellectual position', but thanks for sharing your IMO.

Like I have said countless times here: Faith gives birth to God honoring works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 12:20 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,659,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You took an unfortunate path of misrepresenting everything I said, so I must assume you are in the same camp with the rest of the people who resort that that tactic.
you may assume whatever you like--i am just suggesting that people should listen to Christ if they want salvation. If i have misrepresented you in some way, then please show how. If i restated something incorrectly, it was to show that i heard it incorrectly, and beg correction--but at the moment, you suggest that Christ may be discounted when He discourses about salvation, are you not?

Our chief disagreement is apparently whether or not "fulfills the law" = salvation or not, and we got away from that when you started asking what "is" is? How is salvation ignored in this model?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
If i have misrepresented you in some way, then please show how.
I just gave you the three points where you did it.

Don't worry about it, I am used to it here, and it's good that you did it, and repeated it, because I will know to not waste my time going forward.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
For the record, I believe what Christ said 100%, and you can claim otherwise all day long, but it won't change the fact.
well, Christ said Loving your neighbor equals salvation, but i can quote you disagreeing. So i do not want to claim something that is not true, nor does it seem that i need to.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I just gave you the three points where you did it.

Don't worry about it, I am used to it here, and it's good that you did it, and repeated it, because I will know to not waste my time going forward.
i suggest that all you are doing is wasting time, if you believe you can justify "ya, that's a good idea, but has nothing to do with salvation." Do you think you can separate "fulfills the law" with "salvation," and if so, how?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
i suggest that all you are doing is wasting time, if you believe you can justify "ya, that's a good idea, but has nothing to do with salvation." Do you think you can separate "fulfills the law" with "salvation," and if so, how?
I don't want to repeat what I already said. Read #1298 and #1305, and what I said to Nate about faith giving birth to God honoring works.

Capish?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I don't want to repeat what I already said. Read #1298 and #1305, and what I said to Nate about faith giving birth to God honoring works.

Capish?
sure. the problem is, i don't see anywhere God, through Christ or otherwise, said anything about this faith giving birth to God honoring works. Scripture says "a good deed covers many sins," without that qualification. Christ certainly did not seem to intimate that the Good Samaritan had had any conversion experience, yet tells us to "go, and do likewise." So i have to say that Christ seems to be suggesting exactly what Nate is saying that He does not, at least from my perspective.

i would take Christ's Word for it, and assume that "fulfills the law" = "all the salvation you will ever need."

Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 11,060,399 times
Quote:
No, I do not see faith as an 'intellectual position', but thanks for sharing your IMO.

Like I have said countless times here: Faith gives birth to God honoring works.
Then, may I suggest that you specify that faith is more than an intellectual position, as there are some here who see it as such and say that "Lordship Salvation" is in error.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,027,518 times
Quote:
yes, and wadr i am disagreeing with you, as it seems to me that Christ specifically used that wording to indicate that that is exactly what it does, is save you. Either Love fulfills the law, or it does not; and you either believe that, or you don't. Are you suggesting, with the rest of that there, that i can reconcile Christ with Paul?
The law cannot save us.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

belief = faith, in many peoples' eyes, i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity