Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can TRUE Christians Lose Their Salvation?
LIST A 7 46.67%
LIST B 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM

439 posts, read 427,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The believer must place his personal faith in Jesus in order to receive the gift of eternal life.

When speaking to the woman who was anointing His head with oil and kissing His feet, Jesus told her that her faith in Him had saved her. Luke 7:37-50.
Luke 7:50 And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
I have to interject for one moment...

You do realize you are quoting a scripture from a time when Jesus was still walked the earth, right? If you're going to stick to the argument that faith in Jesus is all it takes to save you, then you need to use scriptures that are AFTER the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, it was because He was justified in the death, burial and resurrection that we were given a new plan of salvation. You can't use scriptures before His justification to base your argument on salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post

You do realize you are quoting a scripture from a time when Jesus was still walked the earth, right? If you're going to stick to the argument that faith in Jesus is all it takes to save you, then you need to use scriptures that are AFTER the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, it was because He was justified in the death, burial and resurrection that we were given a new plan of salvation. You can't use scriptures before His justification to base your argument on salvation.
Excellent point. Oh and what was the one who Jesus spoke of saved from?

It is interesting as it wasn't future, but past sins.

47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven;

She was still under the Law and Jesus' sacrifice had not been made so she could not be saved by the Blood of the Lamb, as it wasn't shed yet.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

She was still under the Law and Jesus' sacrifice had not been made so she could not be saved by the Blood of the Lamb, as it wasn't shed yet.
The only thing I would have to say in regards to the fact that she wasn't "saved" because His blood hadn't been shed yet is, take the criminal that was hanging on the cross next to Jesus as an example. Jesus told Him, today you shall be with me in paradise. Jesus' blood had not been "shed" yet. The the justification hadn't been fulfilled. The death, burial and resurrection are the fulfillment. So how was the criminal saved if the woman wasn't? If Jesus said the woman was saved, I believe she was saved. Otherwise, we would not be able to believe the criminal went to paradise with Jesus like He said.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:

Animal sacrifices had the problem that they were only good for past sins, but not future ones, which was why they had to be repeated. When Jesus did it, He removed the penalty of sin once and for all from whoever believes in Him.

Romans 4:8 Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them.

Heb 8:26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM

33,295 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Quote:

The means of eternal salvation has always been the same in all dispensations. Through faith in the Messiah. And I have used other Scriptures. Simply read my previous posts.

Salvation is by grace through faith and not by works so that no man can boast (Eph. 2:8-9).

And read post #213 and make an attempt to understand it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The means of eternal salvation has always been the same in all dispensations. Through faith in the Messiah. And I have used other Scriptures. Simply read my previous posts.

Salvation is by grace through faith and not by works so that no man can boast (Eph. 2:8-9).

I don't have to read your previous posts. With every new post you make it contradicts the God's Word.

If it were the same in all dispensations then what was the point of Passover? Passover was their atonement for past sins. Without atonement they were damned. Look at Nadab and Abihu, they disobeyed God and didn't do what God instructed them to do. At Passover, fire blazed forth from the Lord’s presence and burned them up, and they died there before the Lord. And all they did was disobey. Comes to show you have to do as God commands or you shall surely die. Therefore, your stance on grace through faith in all dispensations completely contradicts the OT. Especially if you say "through faith in the Messiah" because the Messiah had not yet come. Your views are very confusing. Nothing ever adds up and the verses you quote always contradict other scriptures.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I'm reading your post... I'm trying to "understand it". Let me ask this... Do you believe in grace through faith alone? Or do you believe in "works" too?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,614 times
Quote:
Are you saying no one prior to Jesus' crucifixion went to heaven?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 PM

1,146 posts, read 649,790 times
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.
- Isaiah 59:1

Who has provided salvation? Man or God? Who has promised to sustain us in all the troubles of the world so that even the gates of hell cannot prevail against us - man or God?

That which is made of man will certainly fail. That which is born of God cannot.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 PM

33,295 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Quote:
I'm reading your post... I'm trying to "understand it". Let me ask this... Do you believe in grace through faith alone? Or do you believe in "works" too?
As far as receiving the free gift of eternal life, it is by grace through faith alone in Christ alone.

Works belong to the area of the believer's spiritual life after having been saved.

Ephesians 2:8-10 makes this clear.
Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Verses 8 and 9 address the issue of eternal salvation. Verse 10 applies to the believer's spiritual life.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
Do I believe in works? Yes. Absolutely. But not as a requirement for receiving and keeping what is stated to be a free gift. You do not work to earn a free gift.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity