Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:27 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,668,739 times

Advertisements

Hebrews.
Chapter 3:

(7) Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, Today if ye will hear his voice,
(8) Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
(9) When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
(10) Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
(11) So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

We must examine our hearts.

Satan wants to bring Christians to a place where they have hardened their hearts against God, and eventually are led to a place where they are totally alienated from Him. Paul's warning to the Hebrews in these verses reveals this devious strategy that Satan will try to use to lead you step by step into a deep, dark pit of spiritual darkness where you are:
  • alienated from God
  • unable and unwilling to hear His voice
  • calloused
  • disobedient
  • unrepentant
One of the greatest dangers concerning this strategy is that so many Christians feel that this could never happen to them. Unfortunately, Satan uses false teachers, that teach false doctrine...called the "Doctrine of the Devil" to try and make Christians believe the lie that they cannot lose their salvation once they have confessed Jesus as their Savior...and I am here to dispell these lies that come straight from the pit of hell...because I love you and want you to know the truth! Paul's warning in these verses is not issued to the unbelievers...but to the Church! And this is a warning that God is directing to His people today as people have hardened their hearts to the truth...to hearing and believing God's Word...in unbelief they are unable to see the fulfillment of God's covenant promises in their lives. Those whose hearts have been "hardened' are past feeling and have lost all sensitivity to the Spirit. There is no remorse concerning sin. The root word for "harden" or "hardening" is "porosis," which describes a state of petrification. It is used medically to refer to the callus that is formed when a bone has been fractured and reset. This callus becomes harder than the bone itself.

This dangerous condition of having a hardened heart does not happen overnight. It happens gradually, through a progression of steps. Paul uses Israel's hardening of their hearts against God in the wilderness as an example to warn the Hebrews of the dangers of hardening their hearts (Deuteronomy 1:19-46). Israel refused to hear God's voice. Instead, they murmered and complained against God. They were filled with unbelief; they did not believe that God would do as He had said. Israel rebelled against God, refusing to obey the charge that God gave them to go in and take possession of the land; they chose, instead, to follow their own wills. As a result of their disobedience and sin against God, Israel was NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER INTO THE PROMISED LAND. They failed to take possession of their inheritance and reaped the wages of their sin. Step by step the Israelites, through the HARDENING OF THEIR HEARTS, were led to destruction.

Paul drew a parallel. The Israelites, under Moses, were given covenant promises and an inheritance that was theirs based upon their faithfulness and obedience to God. And, just as they had forfeited their inheritance, he was warning the BELIEVERS of THE POSSIBILITY OF THEIR LOSING THEIR POSITION AND INHERITANCE THROUGH UNBELIEF AND HARDENING THEIR HEARTS. He said,...

"For we are made partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast UNTO THE END" (verse 14).

For this reason, Paul said, "TAKE HEED, *brethren, *lest there be in any of you an evil heart of UNBELIEF, in *departing from the living God...lest any of you be HARDENED through the deceitfulness of sin" (verse 12-13). He was exhorting them to EXAMINE their hearts to see if there was any unbelief. It is through the sin of unbelief that our hearts become hardened to God.

As we look at the strategies Satan will use against you to lead you to this dangerous position, remember the position God gave you over ALL the power of the enemy. Satan does not have the power to make you sin. He has no power over your will. Christ defeated him...broke his power over you. Through the power of the Holy Spirit within you, you are able to RESIST...STAND FAST and OPPOSE every attack of Satan!...and DO NOT listen to the lies that are being spewed by some here on this board that you cannot lose your salvation...no matter how much you sin.....these are lies from the pit of hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:34 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,417,745 times
I disagree, salvation can NOT be lost.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I disagree, salvation can NOT be lost.
...I don't care if you disagree or not...it doesn't change the truth. Take it up with God.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...I don't care if you disagree or not...it doesn't change the truth. Take it up with God.
You're right it doesn't change the truth.....salvation CANNOT be lost! No need to take it up with God, I am confident in my answer

Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You're right it doesn't change the truth.....salvation CANNOT be lost! No need to take it up with God, I am confident in my answer
Good for you!...

Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 PM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
Verna - I think you used my response in the other thread to enhance your viewpoint.

Now you want to link Israel not getting into the promised land with believers not getting into heaven.

This is not a good argument. Why? Moses, who did not get into the Promised Land, did get to heaven (he was with Elijah and Jesus at the transfiguration - Matt. 17).

The author links the wilderness experience with the believer's "rest". The may have something to do with the 1,000 year period to come.

And where is the "Doctrine of the Devil"? You mention it in quotes - where is it quoted?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 PM

170 posts, read 199,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Hebrews.
Chapter 3:

(7) Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, Today if ye will hear his voice,
(8) Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
(9) When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
(10) Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
(11) So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

We must examine our hearts.

Satan wants to bring Christians to a place where they have hardened their hearts against God, and eventually are led to a place where they are totally alienated from Him. Paul's warning to the Hebrews in these verses reveals this devious strategy that Satan will try to use to lead you step by step into a deep, dark pit of spiritual darkness where you are:
  • alienated from God
  • unable and unwilling to hear His voice
  • calloused
  • disobedient
  • unrepentant
One of the greatest dangers concerning this strategy is that so many Christians feel that this could never happen to them. Unfortunately, Satan uses false teachers, that teach false doctrine...called the "Doctrine of the Devil" to try and make Christians believe the lie that they cannot lose their salvation once they have confessed Jesus as their Savior...and I am here to dispell these lies that come straight from the pit of hell...because I love you and want you to know the truth! Paul's warning in these verses is not issued to the unbelievers...but to the Church! And this is a warning that God is directing to His people today as people have hardened their hearts to the truth...to hearing and believing God's Word...in unbelief they are unable to see the fulfillment of God's covenant promises in their lives. Those whose hearts have been "hardened' are past feeling and have lost all sensitivity to the Spirit. There is no remorse concerning sin. The root word for "harden" or "hardening" is "porosis," which describes a state of petrification. It is used medically to refer to the callus that is formed when a bone has been fractured and reset. This callus becomes harder than the bone itself.

This dangerous condition of having a hardened heart does not happen overnight. It happens gradually, through a progression of steps. Paul uses Israel's hardening of their hearts against God in the wilderness as an example to warn the Hebrews of the dangers of hardening their hearts (Deuteronomy 1:19-46). Israel refused to hear God's voice. Instead, they murmered and complained against God. They were filled with unbelief; they did not believe that God would do as He had said. Israel rebelled against God, refusing to obey the charge that God gave them to go in and take possession of the land; they chose, instead, to follow their own wills. As a result of their disobedience and sin against God, Israel was NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER INTO THE PROMISED LAND. They failed to take possession of their inheritance and reaped the wages of their sin. Step by step the Israelites, through the HARDENING OF THEIR HEARTS, were led to destruction.

Paul drew a parallel. The Israelites, under Moses, were given covenant promises and an inheritance that was theirs based upon their faithfulness and obedience to God. And, just as they had forfeited their inheritance, he was warning the BELIEVERS of THE POSSIBILITY OF THEIR LOSING THEIR POSITION AND INHERITANCE THROUGH UNBELIEF AND HARDENING THEIR HEARTS. He said,...

"For we are made partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast UNTO THE END" (verse 14).

For this reason, Paul said, "TAKE HEED, *brethren, *lest there be in any of you an evil heart of UNBELIEF, in *departing from the living God...lest any of you be HARDENED through the deceitfulness of sin" (verse 12-13). He was exhorting them to EXAMINE their hearts to see if there was any unbelief. It is through the sin of unbelief that our hearts become hardened to God.

As we look at the strategies Satan will use against you to lead you to this dangerous position, remember the position God gave you over ALL the power of the enemy. Satan does not have the power to make you sin. He has no power over your will. Christ defeated him...broke his power over you. Through the power of the Holy Spirit within you, you are able to RESIST...STAND FAST and OPPOSE every attack of Satan!...and DO NOT listen to the lies that are being spewed by some here on this board that you cannot lose your salvation...no matter how much you sin.....these are lies from the pit of hell!
It says not a word about losing one's salvation, only blessing and inheritance, they were kept wandering around the wilderness [sound familiar?] even of the Jews mentioned it says nothing about them being cast into the pit of hell as you luridly put it.

Take a look at the man who sinned in corinth, he engaged in sex with his mother while his father was still alive, Paul was horrified, he commanded that he should be delivered unto Satan for the destruction of the FLESH so that his spirit might be saved. There was never, never any suggestion that he would lose his salvation, certainly his reward, but then we find in a further letter that Paul commandd that the church should turn and forgive him and comfort him, lest he be overcome with grief.

We arre made one spirit with the Lord when we are born again, we cannot be unsaved.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Totton Linnet View Post

We arre made one spirit with the Lord when we are born again, we cannot be unsaved.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 PM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
I second the motion made by NC.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Verna - I think you used my response in the other thread to enhance your viewpoint.

Now you want to link Israel not getting into the promised land with believers not getting into heaven.

This is not a good argument. Why? Moses, who did not get into the Promised Land, did get to heaven (he was with Elijah and Jesus at the transfiguration - Matt. 17).

The author links the wilderness experience with the believer's "rest". The may have something to do with the 1,000 year period to come.

And where is the "Doctrine of the Devil"? You mention it in quotes - where is it quoted?
Titus.
Chapter 3:

(10) A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject;
(11) Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

If you or anyone else,(TTL), agrees with those that teach one can keep their salvation and still sin at the same time...(which is what you do)...then you are all heretic's...so the above Scripture applies to you all. It isn't my problem if you are blind to the Truth of God's Word.

Any future posts from me will be for those who are seeking the truth of God's Word...my aim is not to try to debate with heretics, but to help and guide and enlighten those who are reading and seek to find the heart of God.

I do want to add this one Scripture though...concerning the doctrine we should be teaching...

Titus.
Chapter 1:

(13) This witness is true, Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
(14) Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
(15) Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
(16) They profess that they know God; but in works they deny Him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Chapter 2:

(1) But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
(2) That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
(3) The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
...(7) In all things showing thyself of good works: in doctrine showing UNCORRUPTNESS, gravity, sincerity.
(8) Sound speech that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
(9) Exort servants to be obedient unto their own masters,and to please them well in all things; not answering again;
(10) Not purloining, but showing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.
(11) For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
(12) Teaching us that, denying ungodly and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
(13) Looking for blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;
(14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
(15) These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee! Amen!

Last edited by Verna Perry; 11-28-2009 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity