Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can TRUE Christians Lose Their Salvation?
LIST A 7 46.67%
LIST B 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,106 times

Advertisements

Here are verses cited by both Arminians and Calvinists to support their positions on whether a TRUE Christians can lose their salvation. Though many will figure this out anyway I'm not indicating which set of verses are Arminian, and which are Calvinist to hopefuly avoid preconceived ideas. Since many on this forum have an aversion to Paul, I purposely avoided verses attributed to him.

Question: If this was the only passage of Scripture that existed, how would you answer the question, "Can true Christians lose their salvation?"
  • Try to clear your mind of any ideas you already have.
  • Read each verse separately.
  • For each verse answer Yes, No, or Unsure.
  • Answer after reading one verse at a time.
  • Post the list with the most 'Yes' votes as your poll answer.

LIST A
  1. Matthew 7:19-23 - “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”
  2. Matthew 10:22 - All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
  3. Matthew 24:9-13 - “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”
  4. Luke 12:46 - The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.
  5. Luke 13:6-9 - Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’ “‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”
  6. John 8:31-32 - To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
  7. 2 Peter 2:20-22 - If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.
  8. 2 Peter 3:17 - Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.
  9. 1 John 2:24 - See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.
  10. Revelation 3:5 - He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.
LIST B
  1. Psalm 37:23-28 - If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever.
  2. John 6:37-40 - “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
  3. John 10:26-30 - “You do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
  4. John 14:16 - And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever.
  5. 1 Peter 1:3-5 - Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
  6. 1 John 5:13 - I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
  7. 1 John 5:18 - We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him.
  8. Jude 24-25 - To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy-to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
  9. John 3:14-16 - “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
  10. John 5:24 - “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”

Last edited by Cephas40; 01-28-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Here are verses cited by both Arminians and Calvinists to support their positions on whether a TRUE Christians can lose their salvation. Though many will figure this out anyway I'm not indicating which set of verses are Arminian, and which are Calvinist to hopefuly avoid preconceived ideas. Since many on this forum have an aversion to Paul, I purposely avoided verses attributed to him.

Question: If this was the only passage of Scripture that existed, how would you answer the question, "Can true Christians lose their salvation?"

LIST A
  1. Matthew 7:19-23 - “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”
  2. Matthew 10:22 - All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
  3. Matthew 24:9-13 - “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”
  4. Luke 12:46 - The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.
  5. Luke 13:6-9 - Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’ “‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”
  6. John 8:31-32 - To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
  7. 2 Peter 2:20-22 - If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.
  8. 2 Peter 3:17 - Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.
  9. 1 John 2:24 - See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.
  10. Revelation 3:5 - He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.
LIST B
  1. Psalm 37:23-28 - If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever.
  2. John 6:37-40 - “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
  3. John 10:26-30 - “You do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
  4. John 14:16 - And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever.
  5. 1 Peter 1:3-5 - Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
  6. 1 John 5:13 - I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
  7. 1 John 5:18 - We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him.
  8. Jude 24-25 - To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy-to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
  9. John 3:14-16 - “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
  10. John 5:24 - “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”
I chose list 'B' as speaking to the fact that the believer cannot lose his salvation.

A 'true' believer or Christian is any one who has simply trusted in Christ alone for his salvation. Whether he is an obedient believer or a disobedient believer, he has trusted in Christ for his salvation and is a 'true' Christian. He may or may not be a disciple, but he is a 'true' Christian and cannot lose his salvation.

I do want to point out that while Calvinism and Arminianism are two different theological systems, the believer does not have to fall into either one of those theological systems. It is not an issue of one or the other. In Calvinism's 'TULIP' only the 'T' for total depravity is correct although Calvinism takes it beyond the Biblical meaning. And the Arminian's position that salvation can be lost is not Biblically correct. Calvinism's 'Perseverance of the saints' is not the Biblically taught eternal security of the believer because it teaches that if one has been selected by God for salvation he will automatically persevere in his Christian life, but that even if having persevered for most of his life, he then near the end of his life ceases to persevere it means that he was never saved after all. And that of course is false.

The believer's eternal security means that his security does not depend on him or on anything that he does, but that it depends on the character and promises of God. Whether the believer perseveres or not, he is eternally saved. That verse in Matthew 24:13 about the one who endures to the end being saved is not a reference to eternal salvation, but is referring to the fact that the believer who survives to the end of the Tribulation will be physically delivered to go into the Millennial kingdom in his mortal body.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-28-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,935,404 times
The phrase of someone 'losing their salvation'?

Is one of a straw man set up for an attack on truth.

- One Can Not Lose Their Salvation As To, Misplace It.
- But One May Surely Throw Their Salvation Away.

For Jesus did have disciples who chose not to walk with Him any longer.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Nothing in list A says that you keep or earn salvation by doing those works. They merely describe those that are faithful. I believe all the scriptures, and I don't think it's as simple as choosing which list to believe.

But for the sake of the poll., I will say that I believe that no--you can't lose your salvation, so if you want to assign me to list B...ok.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
The phrase of someone 'losing their salvation'?

Is one of a straw man set up for an attack on truth.

- One Can Not Lose Their Salvation As To, Misplace It.
- But One May Surely Throw Their Salvation Away.

For Jesus did have disciples who chose not to walk with Him any longer.
1 John 2:19 states that those that walked away were never "of them".

Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM

351 posts, read 355,433 times
Quote:

LIST A
LIST B
Hi pastorally You are making the wrong assumption. List A is the fact that most people will not enter into the next resurrection as Christ elect but will have to go through judgment in the Lake of fire to have all carnality burned out and be purified. Christ elect will judge themselves in their lives and repent and be changed.

I know that many people will not think this is true, again it comes down to how we interrupt the Scriptures. It is the age old difference between the ETers and the URers . ETs think we must repent and be saved in this life. URs believe that all will eventually be caused to repent and be saved. A small number will be Christ's elect and accomplish it (with God's intervention and plan) in this life, the rest of us will do it after we have been resurrected but we all will repent and be saved because as any good parent God will not ever give up on His children.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,994 times
Quote:

LIST A
LIST B
Dear Al,
I have to agree with the sentiment that this is a straw man argument. Your term "Christian" is a construction made in a man's mind, and will differ from other views. If "Christian" in one's mind means "just", or to "believe him" means to nail his statements onto the cross, or if one thinks Yeshua is addressing "Christians", rather than the righteous, one can always twist a mental pathway to gain access to heaven. Now whether that road is actually open to them is another question.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi pastorally You are making the wrong assumption. List A is the fact that most people will not enter into the next resurrection as Christ elect but will have to go through judgment in the Lake of fire to have all carnality burned out and be purified. Christ elect will judge themselves in their lives and repent and be changed.

I know that many people will not think this is true, again it comes down to how we interrupt the Scriptures. It is the age old difference between the ETers and the URers . ETs think we must repent and be saved in this life. URs believe that all will eventually be caused to repent and be saved. A small number will be Christ's elect and accomplish it (with God's intervention and plan) in this life, the rest of us will do it after we have been resurrected but we all will repent and be saved because as any good parent God will not ever give up on His children.
Dear schulz,
It might help if you referenced the base of your assumptions. The lake of fire comes after the 1000 years of the reign of Christ. Rev 20:4 Only those without the "mark" on their forehead were resurrected for that first 1000 years.

The judgment of the nations, comes after the "Day of the Lord", which precedes the 1000 year reign of Christ. After the "Day of the Lord" the dragon will be cast down (Rev 20:2-3), and the nations will be gathered in the valley of judgment and judged. This will be an earthly judgment. And the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem will restored.

(Joel 2:28-32- Joel 3:1-3) "pour out my Spirit,...moon into blood...day of the Lord....there will be those who escape...I will restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,...gather all the nations....enter into judgment with them"

As for who are God's children, those that do the will of God, are God's children. And as for who will be thrown into the Lake of fire, look to Rev 20:15,"anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

As for how to obtain life, Yeshua said in Mt 19:17," if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments".

As to what is "salvation", the salvation with respect to Mt 24:13 is with respect to the "Great Tribulation" which precedes the "Day of the Lord". The salvation of the self professed apostle Paul declared in Romans 10:13, is a quote from Joel 2:32, which is with regards to the "Day of the Lord". The time the dragon will be cast down to earth with little time (time, times, and 1/2 a time), and the dragon has great wrath, and he will persecute those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Yeshua.

Rev 12,"the great dragon was thrown down,...having great wrath....make war...time and times and half a time..who keep the Commandments of God...."

Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,935,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
1 John 2:19 states that those that walked away were never "of them".
Right, they were anti-christs.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:20 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Hebrews 6 vs 4-6

For it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were make partakers of the holy spirit, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, " IF " they will fall away, to renew them again unto repentance.........

Even Paul was concerned because Paul did Not want to end up a castaway - 1st Cor. 9 v 27
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity