Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Well, I'm not sure if demented is the right terminology, but I'd strongly argue that the institution of slavery was the catastrophic, founding flaw of the United States. As William Faulkner called it, its our Original Sin.
Institutionalizing a human being under law as 3/5ths of a person is demented. It boggles my mind anyone then - much less now! - didn't understand that no good was going to come of that.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Institutionalizing a human being under law as 3/5ths of a person is demented. It boggles my mind anyone then - much less now! - didn't understand that no good was going to come of that.
Unrestricted capitalism has a tendency to dehumanize people even today, so I've never been surprised that the founding fathers put up with it. The entire economy of the South was based on slavery. Much of our economy today is based on sweat shops and unregulated immigrant exploitation (especially as manufacturing jobs are shipped overseas). People will do almost anything to other people to protect their economic interests.

Ah, there it is. I knew there was still some liberalism in me.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM

128 posts, read 305,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Unrestricted capitalism has a tendency to dehumanize people even today, so I've never been surprised that the founding fathers put up with it. The entire economy of the South was based on slavery. Much of our economy today is based on sweat shops and unregulated immigrant exploitation (especially as manufacturing jobs are shipped overseas). People will do almost anything to other people to protect their economic interests.

Great post. But you are not going commie are ya?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

See this:

Today's Immigration Battle: Corporatists vs. Racists (and Labor is Left Behind)

And everyone in America who isn't working in a sweatshop ought to keep in mind they can thank organized labor for that. The 8 hour day, health care, sick days, etc. weren't just given away by the Old Money types.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,932 times
Quote:
Ever heard of hindsight bias? Or maybe they just didn't care.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Ever heard of hindsight bias? Or maybe they just didn't care.
No, they cared about getting representation for slaves, even as they denied them rights as human beings, hence the 3/5ths compromise. as far as I'm concerned the South has been on welfare since the inception of America, take a look at the stats, which still verify this - which states are and always have been tax benefit recipients? the old Confederacy. Illinois otoh is a tax donor.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
I realize a lot about people's perception of colored people when I read these forums...

I guess this sums up why Chicago is still segregated.

*scratching head*

Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I realize a lot about people's perception of colored people when I read these forums...

I guess this sums up why Chicago is still segregated.

*scratching head*
Yup because if anything dictates where people live it's online forums and "perception"

Again I will raise the question why is segregation bad? it's not like 1.5 million white people live north of Madison Street and 1.5 million black people live south of Madison Street. The only people who can change segregation is the people that live in segregated areas by moving and if they haven't moved then maybe they don't want to. Maybe people enjoy living next to their kind.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 758 times
Quote:
Institutionalizing a human being under law as 3/5ths of a person is demented. It boggles my mind anyone then - much less now!
Boggles the mind huh?

Considering the following:

1) The Founding Fathers were BRILLANT people, anyone who reads the history and their ample writings can see this.

2) Africans still barely reach the 60% percentile on any aspect, anywhere in the world, sports might be the ONLY exception to this reality. Sorry if you don't like it, want to deny it etc., but it's fact.

3) You have been brainwashed. The fact that you think you are superior to the Founding Fathers proves this and it's quite laughable, what have you done in your life that compares to them and their intellect???

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Who knew Olympia Dukakis thought this way? That's it, Steel Magnolias is now smote from my collection. Kleenex be damned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago